Snakes are scary enough already. But give them hands and you’ve got the stuff that nightmares are made of. An elderly Chinese woman woke up in the middle of the night to find this one-handed snake climbing the wall of her bedroom. “I woke up and heard a strange scratching sound … at first I thought it was thieves … I turned on the light and saw this monster working its way along the wall using his claw,” she said. Then she did what most of us would have done: She beat it to death with a shoe. I don’t know whether to be relieved or depressed that the claw snake is dead. I love freaks of all sorts. And, while I might have died if this bitch was climbing my bedroom wall, I can’t front like I’m not impressed by it. R.I.P. claw snake. You were special. Click through for more animal freaks of nature. [9 News]
In today’s edition of “Real Life Is Basically Already ‘Star Trek’,” researchers at the University of Texas have created a device that would allow cellphones to see through walls, wood, plastic, paper, and other solid objects. Yes, seriously. A microchip taps into a range of the electromagnetic spectrum, a receiver translates the data, and ta-da: instant x-ray vision for your iPhone. It’s unclear when this new technology will be available for purchase, but damn, we’re already daydreaming about the scary and awesome possibilities of portable x-ray vision. How would you use a device like this? To locate wall studs? See if there’s a tampon in the bottom of your purse? Or maybe to find a definitive answer to that age-old question: is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? [EarthSky Science News]
Abercrombie & Fitch recently announced plans to open a children’s store on Savile Row, a London street known for high-end menswear and often referred to as “the golden mile of tailoring.” Obviously, this didn’t go over well with Savile Row’s merchants and clientele. In response, impeccably-dressed demonstrators gathered outside the A&F store in Burlington Gardens twirling their mustaches, strumming banjos, and waving signs that said “Give Three-Piece A Chance.” I’m a little concerned about the guy on the left with the riding crop, but otherwise I think this is brilliant.
Six-year-old girl Salecia Johnson landed herself in the slammer recently after throwing a temper tantrum. Georgia police arrived at Creekside Elementary School where the kindergartener was accused of tearing items off the walls, throwing furniture and knocking down a bookshelf that “injured” the principal. When officials attempted to calm her, she “resisted,” so cops handcuffed and hauled her little booty downtown. (The police chief told the WMAZ local news that anyone transported to the station must be placed in cuffs while riding inside a cop car.) Salecia, pictured above, was charged with damage to property and simple assault and was suspended for the remainder of the school year. Keep reading »
I don’t know about you guys, but whenever I’m at a hotel, I look around and think, This is nice, I guess, but you know what would be better? A giant hamster cage. Apparently a lot of people share this sentiment, because a hotel in western France called Villa Hamster provides just that — yep, hamster cages for humans — and business has been booming since it opened in 2009. The hotel owner, 42-year-old Yann Falquerho, saw a void in the “animal transformation” hotel niche and pounced on the opportunity to give guests the full hamster lifestyle experience, from human-size running wheels to hay stacks to sleep on. What’s for dinner? Organic hamster grains and water in a tube, of course! Not only is the hotel often totally booked, Falquerho says many guests even spend their time at Villa Hamster on all fours. Sounds like the perfect romantic getaway, huh? [Oddity Central]
Experts say a New Zealand woman’s 2-gallon-a-day Coca-Cola habit probably contributed to her death, a conclusion that led the soft-drink giant to note that even water can be deadly in excessive amounts.
Natasha Harris, a 30-year-old, stay-at-home mother of eight from Invercargill, died of a heart attack in February 2010. Fairfax Media reported that a pathologist, Dr. Dan Mornin, testified at an inquest Thursday that she probably suffered from hypokalemia, or low potassium, which he thinks was caused by her excessive consumption of Coke and overall poor nutrition. Read more…