Hi, y’all! As you read this I’m laying on the beach with my BFF. There may even be a fruity drink with a little umbrella involved. So that means Today’s Lady News will be a reader submission edition! Submit your own links to news articles and blog posts about women, girls, trans-identified people, gender roles, feminism or sexism in the comments. Just write a sentence or two summary explaining what the link is about and give everyone a heads up if it has language or imagery that’s NSFW. I’ll be back Monday!
Tag Archives: women news
- FIFA, the organization that governs professional soccer, has reversed its ban on Muslim athletes wearing the hijab after FIFA’s medical committee approved two types of headscarves which won’t pose any danger on the field. [ESPN]
- A newsletter put out by Boston cops is filled with sexist, racist and all around icky jokes. [Bitch Magazine]
- The CIA is cracking down on sexual harassment within its ranks. [Los Angeles Times]
- Meet the female Marine Corps officer who believes women should not be allowed in combat roles. [Jezebel] Keep reading »
Lauren Luke, a very popular beauty vlogger, teamed up with the anti-abuse group Refuge to create a beauty video about covering up bruises caused by domestic violence. While watching this video, I knew that it was completely set-up. What I did not know, though, was that it would leave me with total body chills for awhile afterward. Keep reading »
- In response to a Change.org petition, Seventeen magazine has said it will no longer alter the body size or face shape of the models posing in its magazine. The petition was created by Julia Bluhm of Waterville, Maine, and garnered over 84,000 signatures which were hand-delivered to the executive editor of Seventeen. [Change.org/Seventeen]
- North Carolina’s Republican-controlled state legislature has overrode a veto by Governor Bev Perdue, effectively defunding the state’s Planned Parenthood clinics. State funding is not used for abortion services, so the defunding will only be hurting those who go to Planned Parenthood clinics for other services, like Pap smears and cancer screenings. [Huffington Post]
- The FDA has approved the first quick, over-the-counter HIV test. OraQuick uses a mouth swap and can tell your HIV status in less than 40 minutes. [AP] Keep reading »
Republican Politician To Offer Class On “Posture, Deportment And Feminine Presence.” Yes, Seriously.
Update: 4p.m. Well, that was quick. State Senator
Mary Marty Golden’s website has canceled the event. I guess you’ll have to learn your feminine wiles elsewhere. [New York Observer]
Please tell me this is a joke. This is a joke, right?
The office of a Republican politician in Brooklyn, New York, will be offering a class for women in his district about “Posture, Deportment, and Feminine Presence.” Ostensibly this is a career development event about etiquette, but the packaging is really, really WTF. Keep reading »
Women in in Mississippi can breathe easy, at least temporarily: at the eleventh hour on Sunday night, a federal judge blocked a law that would have effectively closed the state’s only abortion clinic. A law was set to go into effect on Monday that would have required doctors at the Jackson Women’s Health Organization to have admitting privileges at local hospitals. However, that was not going to happen as all four of the clinic’s OB-GYNs live out of state, in part because they, their families and neighbors are horrendously harassed by anti-abortion extremists. Only one of the practicing OB-GYNs has admitting privileges at the local hospital; the others have not been granted them yet. Had the law gone into effect today, women’s access to safe and legal abortions would have been even more impeded as they would have been required to drive out of state, which requires time and money. Keep reading »
“Feminism is dead in the world. It comes from another time. I’m a feminist. I want to fight, but I don’t see many people with this desire to fight for something. Women don’t help each other, especially in fashion. I know Miuccia [Prada] … but that’s it. Nobody else.”
– Oh look. Commentary from noted gender studies scholar Donatella Versace, who allegedly said she did not want her line for H&M photographed on “real women” for a New York Daily News promotional feature instead of professional — and likely thinner — models. That may be a more business-savvy viewpoint to take, but not such a feminist one. (And make an effort to look a little bit less like Victoria Gotti, because I seriously cannot tell them apart.) [Telegraph UK]
- Don’t want to be sexually harassed on the subway system in Shanghai, China? Then don’t dress like a slut! Someone within the subway authority posted a photo of a woman wearing a revealing dress to the number two subway line’s official Weibo account — the country’s version of Twitter — along with the comment: “If that’s what you wear on the subway, then no wonder you will be sexually harassed! There are perverts riding the subway every day and we can’t catch them all. Girls, you’ve got to respect yourself!” Ab. Surd. [MSNBC]
- The Air Force is investigating a growing sexual misconduct scandal out of Lackland Air Force base in Texas, where a dozen male boot camp instructors allegedly assaulted, harassed, or had sex with female recruits. One boot camp instructor has even been accused of raping or sexually assaulting 10 women. [Washington Post]
- Mississippi’s sole abortion clinic, which will have to close on July 1 after a new, restrictive law goes into effect, has filed a lawsuit claiming the law is unconstitutional. [Think Progress] Keep reading »
Strip clubs in the fair city of Houston, Texas, will soon be hit with an interesting new tax: a $5-per-visitor tax which will go towards paying for a backlog of the city’s 6,000 rape kits. The Houston City Council passed an ordinance on Wednesday which will require almost 30 gentleman’s clubs to fork over the funds, which will then be used to pay for analyzing DNA evidence collected from rape victims. Keep reading »