- Victim blaming! Racism! The trial for those involved in a videotaped gang rape of an 11-year-old girl in Cleveland, Texas, is, predictably, a demoralizing shitshow. You’re going to need to go to your happy place for awhile after reading this one. [Houston Chronicle]
- Every hospital in Mississippi has refused to grant admitting privileges to abortion providers at the state’s only clinic, which may force the Jackson Women’s Health Care Clinic to close. [Jezebel]
- Arizona’s Department of Health Services has launched a website to discourage women from having an abortion, which contains misleading information about how dangerous it is to terminate a pregnancy. [Feminist.org]
- The “War On Men” op-ed author Suzanne Venker — niece of archconservative anti-feminist Phyllis Schafly — spreads more of her sexist stereotyping over at The Cut. [NYMag.com] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: women news
As if dealing with a cheating and violent husband is not enough to endure, a Bangladeshi woman had acid thrown into her face by her husband when she dared to divorce him.
Nurbanu, 36, discovered her husband with another woman and divorced him — only to find herself doused in acid by him eight days later. Now, blind and with a completely scarred and mutilated face, Nurbanu has been forced to remarry her husband. Keep reading »
Women with the most severe forms of endometriosis are seen as more attractive than those with mild forms or no form of the disease, according to a new study conducted by Dr. Paolo Vercellini, an obstetrician and gynecologist at Universita degli Studi in Milan.
Endometriosis is problem with a woman’s uterus in which the tissue that grows on the inside of her uterine lining also grows on the outside, sometimes covering the ovaries, intestines or other organs within the body. It causes abnormal bleeding and can make it difficult for some women to conceive.
What does endo have to do with attractiveness, though? Keep reading »
- In a sneaky attempt to grant fetuses the same legal status as “people” and thus criminalize abortion, Michigan’s legislature has introduced a bill to change the tax code so that would-be parents could claim fetuses as “dependents” after 12 weeks of gestation. [Mother Jones]
- President Obama has nominated the first-ever gay Latina judge, Nitza I. Quinonones Alejandro, to the federal courts. [Queerty]
- Republican congressional candidate Brad Staats, who ran on a “family values” platform in Tennessee, was arrested for domestic assault this weekend after allegedly hitting his wife in the face. [Raw Story] Keep reading »
- The family of Mallory Owens in Mobile, Alabama, wants charges upgraded for the 18-year-old boy who allegedly assaulted Owens on Thanksgiving. Travis Hawkins Jr. allegedly beat Owens so badly that her broken nose will require reconstructive surgery — all because she is dating his sister and he does not “approve.” He was arrested for second degree assault charges, but Owens’ family says his attack was a hate crime and should be upgraded to attempted murder. [WKRG] Keep reading »
You thought you were so smart, America, didn’t you? Between the Republican presidential nominee who flip-flops on reproductive rights to various Republican politicians who declared pregnancy resulting from rape is God’s special blessing, you thought you had that “war on women” thing in the bag.
Well, you’re wrong and Fox News is here to tell you all about it. “War on women”? Poppycock. The real war raging in America is a war on men. This is according to Fox News columnist Suzanne Venker, the niece of 86-year-old anti-feminist Phyllis Schafly, who took her poison pen to Fox this weekend in an effort to blame “angry,” “defensive” women for the supposed lack of “marriageable” men.
After the jump, let’s delve a little deeper into the fracas that has me dashing off to the nearest sports bar after work to salve the wounds of these poor, beleageured men: Keep reading »
Topless nuns were seen hosing down anti-gay marriage demonstrators with “holy sperm” last Sunday in Paris.
Go ahead. Read that sentence again.
Of course, these weren’t real nuns! FEMEN, the breast-baring Ukrainian women’s movement, is famous for spreading awareness about a cause through nudity. When FEMEN found out that more than 100,000 Catholics would be protesting against France’s legislation to allow gay marriage and adoption, they got their weapons ready. With various slogans written across their chests, including “In Gay We Trust” and “Fuck God,” Femen members got creative with baby powder, spraying the mist on protesters, calling it “Jesus Sperm.” Keep reading »
If you asked me three years ago whether I thought Ke$ha was a positive feminist role model for both myself and millions of other young girls belting out her bravado across the globe, I would have shot you a McKayla Maroney face with a slight “are you serious?” twist.
I was so unimpressed with her song “Blah Blah Blah,” I think I wrote an article about my musical nausea in my high school’s newspaper. However, after a friend played “Grow A Pear” a couple of years later, I found myself hysterically laughing throughout the full three minutes and 29 seconds. I had never heard a female artist sing about “dating a dude with a vag” or “[seeing his] man-gina.” Soon afterward, “Blind” became my anthem on repeat for almost all of 2011, and now my five other roommates and I cannot stop dancing on our dining room table to “Die Young.”
MTV announced Ke$ha as “perhaps the most empowering artist on the planet” in 2010, and Ashley Fetters from The Atlantic completely agrees, citing various passages from Ke$ha’s new autobiography, My Crazy Beautiful Life, about her rising feminist and widely influential antics. Keep reading »
- I’m loving this post on Raising My Rainbow, a parenting blog hosted on Queerty written by the mother of “a slightly effeminiate, possibly gay, totally fabulous son.” In this latest post, she writes about taking her son for pedicures and how rudely everyone in the nail salon behaved. The woman doing the mom’s pedicure actually asked her, “Is that a boy or a girl?” [Queerty]
- A U.S. District judge ruled on Monday that a chain store called Hobby Lobby must abide by the provisions of Obamacare in regards to contraception; Hobby Lobby has appealed the ruling. [Think Progress]
- Four generals, four scandals, and a sprawling rape case. [NYmag.com The Cut]
- Karen Handel, the former executive at Susan G. Komen who left the organization amidst allegations they were politicizing their funding for Planned Parenthood, is reportedly considering a Senate bid. [Huffington Post] Keep reading »
Birth control pills should be available over the counter without a prescription, the American College Of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommended yesterday. Keep reading »