Just when you thought politicians could keep it in their pants … ha, ha, you were wrong.
New York State Assemblyman Dennis Gabryszak has been accused of sexual harassment by three former aides, according to the Associated Press. The women filed a notice of claim on Thursday, which the AP explained is a step before filing a lawsuit.
His alleged victims claim Gabryszak invited them to hotel rooms, talked about their “sexual characteristics,” discussed penis tattoos, dragged one of them into a massage parlor, and sent another a video in which he was mimicking receiving a blowjob. All of the icks. Keep reading »
Two imprisoned members of the Russian feminist punk band Pussy Riot were released this morning from work camps. Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina were granted amnesty last week after serving time on a two-year prison sentence for “hooliganism.” Keep reading »
Abbreviated Lady News today! Back to your regularly scheduled Lady News on Monday. Have a fab weekend!
- A U.S. District Court Judge has struck down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage, saying it violates the U.S. Constitution’s equal protection guarantee. [Gay Salt Lake]
- An open letter to white feminists on prisons, borders, safety and privilege. [AlterNet]
- You should definitely take the time to read through the #FreeMarisa hashtag on Twitter right now, which is advocating for the release of Marisa Alexander, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot to scare off her abusive husband. [Twitter]
- Fact: Black women are twice as likely as white women to die from breast cancer — this New York Times article examines why that racial disparity exists and what’s being done about it. [NY Times]
- On cynicism, calling out, and creating movements that don’t leave people behind. [Feministing]