Shocking: Victoria’s Secret is a house of lies! The cotton used for their underwear, which they deem on the labels as “fair trade” and “good for women, good for the children who depend on them,” has been outed by Bloomberg News. Turns out their methods aren’t quite as good or as fair as the company claims; in fact, their cotton wares are sourced by abused and unpaid children in Burkina Faso. Excellent! VS has been using cotton from the west African country for four years. Ironically, they launched a line of underwear in 2009 that “boasted about the cotton’s origins, as well as how purchases would improve the lives of Burkinabé cotton pickers.” To the brand’s credit, they’re upholding that they were unaware of the practices, and are “engaging with stakeholders to fully investigate this matter.” Get the full story here on Bloomberg. Fair warning: it’s pretty brutal. Now, put down those 3-for-$10 thongs. You don’t want them anyway! [Bloomberg]
Tag Archives: victorias secret
This week brought us a (not so) Secret fashion show, shopaholic cities, supermodel sisters, and smuggled shoes. Read on for a roundup of the style stats… Keep reading »
The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Who comes up with this stuff? And on what kind of drugs? And are they sharing those drugs? Because it’s clear that there’s something rather cuckoo clocks about the whole affair. And even though there’s tons of boobs and bare bums, it doesn’t even seem that sexy — just campy and silly. You might call it the Snookification of sexy: More Benny Hill than bad rap video.
In any case, there were plenty of Vicky Secret supermodels on the catwalk last night, including a ridiculously in-shape post-baby Miranda Kerr (jaysus that woman!), a liquid-dieting Adriana Lima and a be-caped Candice Swanepoel. Check out all the cheeky, ridonkulous hilarity in our slideshow.
While Victoria’s Secret model Adriana Lima goes to disturbing lengths to stay slim, model and alleged Kanye West canoodler Chanel Iman went to similarly disturbing lengths to put on weight to appear in the televised lingerie fashion show. Apparently, Iman gained 15 pounds in order to walk in the show, adding curves to her otherwise stick straight body. She did so on a diet of protein shakes and by incorporating weight lifting into her workout routine. And, she says, the day before the event, “I have a big potluck at my house. All my friends bring over food and we barbecue and party it up!” Well, that’s great and all, but it’s definitely scary that Iman put on 15 pounds and still looks waif thin as a Victoria’s Secret Angel. Remember that the next time you look at a model on the runway and think she has the “perfect” body. [Modelinia]
Wow. Adriana Lima has revealed how she preps for the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show and it sounds … sucky. Adriana works out with a trainer every day, lifting weights, boxing, and jumping rope — which sounds normal for someone whose body is their livelihood — but beginning three weeks ago, she’s been exercising twice a day in preparation for the show. And that’s not the worst of it: Adriana regularly sees a nutritionist who measures out exactly what she must consume to stay alive but also keep her thin. This tasty diet means nine days before the show, Adriana cuts out solid food entirely and survives off of protein shakes. Twelve hours before the show, she stops consuming liquids. Keep reading »
“I think it’s harder to date as an Angel, [because] when people meet [us] it’s hard to look past our job, what we look like. They are always trying to impress you, you know, like ‘come to my mansion blah blah blah.’”
– Poor Victoria’s Secret model/lingerie “angel” Candice Swanepoel, who must constantly deal with a barrage of annoying suitors who want to whisk her away to their mansions. It’s so difficult being pretty. [Stylelist]
- Being a Victoria’s Secret model is tough, y’all. Just listen to this sob story from Selita Ebanks, who strut down a runway wearing panties made from $4.5 million worth of diamonds, rubies, emeralds and yellow sapphires in 2007. “It hurt. Yeah, diamonds hurt,” Ebanks tells me. “I don’t know about wearing diamonds on your crotch. It’s like you’re walking and scraping. This is not cohesive to get a man. No man wants a scratchy vagina.” [Huffington Post]
- Are you an “evacuista”? You are if you’re evacuating Hurricane Irene in style. Also, how to hurricane-proof your cat. [Jezebel, BuzzFeed]
- Bravo wants to do a one-hour sit-down interview with Andy Cohen and “Real Housewives” Taylor Armstrong about her estranged husband, Russell Armstrong, who committed suicide last week. I dunno, that feels kind of exploitative and icky to me. [New York Post]
- Taylor Hanson not sick of playing “MMMbop” in concerts, as you would expect. [Idolator]
I dunno about you ladies, but when my inner thighs touch, I feel, like, totally disgusting. Frankly, if you can’t toss at least a softball through them at all times, it’s diet time, amIright?! As for this Victoria’s Secret model, well, the way she’s been Photoshopped just makes me want to go bowling. [Victoria's Secret via The Gloss] Keep reading »
Meet Andrej Pejic, the fresh-faced model that’s stomping down the Paris runways this fashion week for Jean Paul Gautier. Pejic isn’t just a typical pretty face, because she’s a he. And, he says, he’d even consider a sex change if he were given a contract with Victoria’s Secret. “Yes, if I was offered a Victoria’s Secret contract. You’d have to, wouldn’t you,” said Pejic. “I can’t imagine doing it any other way. But, at this point I’m comfortable with who I am now.”