As if losing your job doesn’t suck enough, a recent survey conducted by online dating site It’s Just Lunch found that 75 percent of women wouldn’t even go on a date with an unemployed man. Well, 42 percent of women wouldconsider it. But 33 percent said there was no chance, while the other 25 percent said they would go on a date with a jobless guy.
“Not having a job will definitely make it harder for men to date someone they don’t already know,” says Irene LaCota of It’s Just Lunch. “This is the rare area, compared to other topics we’ve done surveys on, where women’s old-fashioned beliefs about sex roles seem to apply.” Read more…
Normally, the onslaught of Valentine’s Day ephemera inspires a mere eyeball roll from me, but this year I find myself sprinting past heart décor window installations back to my apartment, a zone void of pink and red reminders of the guy who decided to end our story — the same week I got laid off my job, which just so happened to also fall on the week before the impending holiday. My job and I had a solid eight-year relationship, until the corporate office decided to “downsize” and I got dumped. The guy and I? We had a good run of late-night laughter, cooking with rare spices (sumac, anyone?) and forging the kind of intimacy that makes you quietly happy, for as long as it lasts. “Longer than Kim (Kardashian) and that Kris guy,” as he put it during our breakup.
Being unattached and unemployed this Valentine’s Day is a constant reminder that I would like to be tethered, well, to something. Whether my final destination is a new gig or a new guy (or both!), getting there is the fun part. Or not so fun part. Here’s my plan of action … Keep reading »
“I’d rather see you strip at Stilettos than take help from the government,” my dad once told me. According to him, the most disgraceful thing I could do was be on the dole. As the daughter of successful New York State Republicans, I was nurtured on the GOP gin ‘n’ juice. But apparently, the bottle was spiked because I grew up to be a gay-loving, liberal, struggling artist.
So, a year ago, when I was fired from my job as a copywriter at an ad agency after six years, due to layoffs, I was forced to register for unemployment. I wanted to find another job, yes, but unlike my Amex Gold Card Member Mama, I didn’t mind having to pay the angry Chinese food delivery man in dimes in the meantime. But I also knew that I’d have to go to great lengths not to let my parents know what was going on. Keep reading »
Your stud may be stunning, but there’s nothing pretty about being in a relationship with someone who’s been laid off. While your heart may break for Mr. Unemployed, his perpetual presence on your sofa can get ugly – fast. When your partner gets downsized, how do you prevent a downsizing effect on your relationship? We consulted a dating expert for tips on navigating the turbulent waters of a layoff without crashing your (relation)ship on the rocks. Keep reading »
Creativity is the cure for unemployment. This summer, despite being a relatively successful z-list commercial model and actor in Montreal, Quebec, I hit the Sahara desert of dry spells. Needing to make rent, I accepted a position as a part-time cleaning lady for my building’s superintendent and cleaned vacant apartments, stinky stairwells, and dusty, dirty garages. My new role was not the brightest hour of my professional life; catwalks, callbacks and cash, industrial cleaning was not. In between mopping, shoveling, and hauling ashes from old fireplaces like a bedraggled Cinderella, I applied to as many gigs on Craigslist as I could, hoping to find something paying more than my $12-an-hour grueling summer job. Keep reading »
The recession is affecting everyone. From layoffs to budget cuts, a few money problems are inevitable it seems. But in England, those issues are hitting the middle class so hard that people have resorted to crime in order to keep up appearances. Over the past year, shoplifting has increased by 20 percent, while clothing and fashion accessory shops have suffered the most. With unemployment on the rise in New York City and the United States as a whole, do you think we’ll see a similar statistic? Walking down the streets, I’ve seen stores and restaurants closing their doors simply because they can’t afford the rent — the recession is surely at fault. Eating out is a luxury, and buying new clothes simply isn’t a part of tight budget plans. But resorting to petty theft in order to satisfy a craving for new accessories? That’s going a bit far, no? [Times] Keep reading »