We’ve got a quickie Today’s Lady News column today because Amelia and I were up at — yaaaawn — 4:45 a.m. liveblogging the royal wedding and we’re both pooped. Feel free to include your own news articles and blog posts for Today’s Lady News in the comments!
- Kate Middleton removed the word “obey” from her marriage vows today. Feministing’s Samhita Mukhopadhyay explains why — surprise! — that doesn’t really matter. [Guardian UK]
- The U.S. Department of Labor has included gender identity and pregnancy as protections under the department’s “equal opportunity” policy. [Pams House Blend]
- Are black women actually more likely than white women to be bulimics — despite the stereotypes of what we think a bulimic “looks like”? [The Root]
- Women would be held in handcuffs or otherwise restrained while giving birth in prison or jail, the Florida’s state Senate has decided. Jailed women can only be physically restrained if they pose a security risk. [Miami Herald]
- Women filmmakers and screenwriters took home big prizes at the Tribeca Film Festival! [Indie Wire]