I always find it maddening when people have the gall to critique a performer like Beyoncé, questioning her star power, or entertainment value, or (gasp!) singing voice. It’s akin to the flunky armchair quarterback, sitting at home saying he would have caught that pass. HA! I’d like to see you try. You absolutely cannot step to Beyonce or her singing abilities — and particularly her balls out Super Bowl halftime performance Sunday night. And you also can’t step to Bey’s backing band, the Sugar Mamas, who bring with them scads of musical experience and sweat equity in the biz. Keep reading »
Tag Archives: superbowl
“I’m sorry, but LMFAO performed at the Super Bowl? Aren’t they a joke band? That type of shit makes me cry.”
– Musician Santigold on musical the worsts, LMFAO. Do you guys know that LMFAO has a song called “Sorry for Party Rocking?” If they were really sorry, they’d crawl into a hole and stop making music, or whatever it is they do. [NYMag.com]
- New York Giants player Brandon Jacobs stuck his cleat in his mouth Tuesday, when he told reporters, “She just needs to be cute and shut up,” in reference to Gisele Bundchen. The Victoria’s Secret model famously stood by her man Tom Brady — and dropped an f-bomb — after his team lost the Super Bowl on Sunday night, blaming his team for the loss. But what’s a supermodel doing opening her mouth? Everyone knows they’re just here to look at! [Houston Chronicle]
- Kylie Jenner tweeted a pic of Khloe Kardashian with Alex Roldan, the hairdresser who’s been fingered as her biological father, with the caption “First official photo of my sister and her dad! Like father like daughter!” Later in the day Kylie tweeted, “It was a joke everyone! LOL!” C’mon, you really think the Kardashians would drop a bomb like that through their teenage daughter’s Twitter? [Buzzfeed]
- Snooki and J-Woww’s “Jersey Shore” spinoff has been cleared to film in my old stomping grounds of Jersey City, New Jersey, off the Grove Street PATH stop. Never have I been so grateful not to live in New Jersey anymore. [Fox News]
- Love this: sex advice from women’s studies professors. [Nerve] Keep reading »
- Have you been following the Super Bowl kerfluffle? During the game, CBS will be airing an anti-abortion commercial from the conservative organization Focus on the Family starring Tim Tebow, but the channel told a gay dating company called Man Date that their commercial would not be allowed to run. Now New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita has stepped into the fray by voicing his support for reproductive rights. On Tuesday, Fujita said he respects Tebow’s choice to be in the ad, but admitted “he and I might not see eye to eye all the way.” Fujita added that he was born to a teen mother and given up for adoption. “I’m just so thankful she had the courage and the support system to be able to carry out the pregnancy,” he said. “I wouldn’t expect that of everybody.” Jeez Louise, when did the dang Super Bowl become about politics?! [New York Times]
For the past five months I’ve been hard at work. I get up on Sundays at the crack of noon to scream and eat chicken wings. I’ve logged major couch time, tested the limits of sweat pant elasticity…all in the name of football. Am I ashamed of myself? A little. But that doesn’t mean I’m hanging up my foam finger. There’s still the Super Bowl to be played.
This Sunday, the Pittsburgh Steelers take on the Arizona Cardinals. Since 1967, the champs of the American and National football conferences have battled for bragging rights, a Tiffany and Co. championship trophy, and an “I’m Going to Disney Land” commercial.
If you haven’t been following the game but want to keep your man company on the couch, here’s a refresher on what you need to know…
Keep reading »
Superbowl Sunday is almost here! While I’m gearing up for an exciting event featuring men wrestling each other in tight pants, there is another kind of sexual objectification to keep score of during the commercials. Sure, there is guaranteed to be beer commercial after beer commercial with slutty wenches using their sex to sell a brew, why can’t there be a few ads featuring hot dudes selling gals like me stuff? After all, 37.7 million women are watching!
Oh PETA. Always gettin’ themselves banned. Above, the commercial that WON’T run during the Superbowl, which features scantily clad women getting horny with some vegetables. Because apparently, “studies show, vegetarians have better sex.” Is that true? Anyway, I don’t really see what’s SO super hot about it, but it does continue PETA’s trend of objectifying women in order to push their don’t eat meat agenda. Whatevs. It did kind of make me want a carrot stick dunked in ranch dip.
Keep reading »
Justin Timberlake could have Janet Jackson naked by the end of his song. In a surprising landmark judicial decision, the US Circuit Court of Appeals stopped the FCC from fining CBS over half a mil for the infamous 2004 halftime split second strip show…er, wardrobe malfunction. The Court ruled in favor of JT, Janet, and the station for a couple reasons. At the time, the FCC laws weren’t explicit enough to be enforced for the accident, so it became a case of puritanical opinion versus freedom of speech. Also, since it was a live show, there was no way for any CBS employee to prevent Janet’s jug from airing, therefore, there was no network negligence. Nevertheless, Nipplegate was the shot heard ’round the world and the FCC immediately freaked out and created tighter restrictions and higher indecency. The boobie bonanza is over! [Guide Live]