Winona’s been craving a style makeover. She wants to change up her wardrobe and add some spiiiiice with some bombshell-style fitted dresses that really accentuate her va-va-voom curves. (Think “Mad Men”‘s Joan Holloway for reference.) The trick, of course, with this 1960s silhouette is looking cute without veering to close to costume-y. You’re not in the touring company of “Hairspray,” after all. If you’re craving some retro-fied curvy numbers, there’s a bevy of online options. Shops like Shabby Apple, Bettie Page Clothing, Daddy-O’s, Unique Vintage and Trashy Diva are all great resources if you’re looking for reproductions of styles from the ’40s, ’50s and ’60s, while sites like Modcloth offer more modern takes on those designs.
But getting back to Winona! I’ve chosen five curvy and cute dresses that she can wear day or night––for less than $150 each!
1. Modcloth American Glamstand Dress, $147.99
2. Coldwater Creek Hourglass Stripe Dress, $129./95
3. Trashy Diva Trixie Sarong Dress, $97
4. White House Black Market Faille Peplum Sheath Dress, $89.99
5. Unique Vintage First Rate, First Mate Olive Green Wiggle Dress, $136
Click through to see how we’ve styled ‘em!
Keep reading »
You know how it’s so annoying the way some people refer to a pair of pants as a “pant”? Well, sorry to say, I have become one of those people. I say this, because Amelia recently came to me asking for advice on how to expand her pant selection in the summer months. After all, it’s not so comfortable wearing skinny jeans in 90 degree heat, now is it? Amelia was looking for something soft and flowy, silky and comfortable — and, of course, reflective of her preppy-meets-downtown style.
1. Asos Tapered Pants, $59.40
2. Elizabeth and James Trent Paisley Pants $79
3. Yumi Kim Tania Pants, $68
4. GoMax Calantha Sandal, $44.95
5. Swell Jordan Everyday Woven Tank, $24.50
6. GAP Bleecker Striped Tank, $22.95
After the jump, see how I put it all together, and how you can create three totally awesome outfits for under $300, from top to toe.
Keep reading »
The Frisky’s promotions editor Megan is so cute — and she’s always rockin’ adorbs skirts. The other day, she came in wearing an ikat print skirt that she’d hand-altered because it was too long. Skirts, said Megan, are never the right length. She wanted me to help her find a few midi-length skirts (those are skirts that fall below the knees but above the calf) that could be worn all year long — and she had a budget of $100 per outfit. Good thing personal shopping is pretty much my favorite thing to do. I was able to find her a slew of great items–and all on the cheap, too.
1. ASOS Sleeveless MidiDress with Pleated Skirt and Belt, $54.30
2. Pieces Mille Chunky Chain Short Necklace, $30.55
3. ASOS Aztec Skirt, $61.09
4. Ann Taylor Boatneck Tee, $28
5. Dorothy Perkins Blue Polka Dot Midi Skirt, $44
6. Express Lace Shoulder V-Neck, $16.14
7. Soulmates Draped Lace Jacket, $39.00
8. Trotters Sandals, $25.50
Click through to see how I put ‘em together for around $300. Keep reading »