studies - Page 8

health

Great news, my fellow hand-wringing, self-flagellating, twitchy-eyed neurotics: our anxiety about life, death, and everything in between is actually going to help kill us! Oh, the irony. Even negligible levels of psychological distress, significantly lower than amounts that would encourage a formal diagnosis of anxiety or depression, have now been officially linked to an early… READ MORE »


Love & Sex

Honestly, I was just kind of looking for an excuse to use the word inclement — one of my favorites — and this study seemed like the perfect vehicle. But also, it contains important findings about inclement weather and how it makes people horny. Research done by Trojan found that about 70 percent of Americans… READ MORE »


News

Dolphins are like humans in a lot of ways: they have sex for pleasure, mingle with different social groups, and enjoy looking at themselves in the mirror. They also spend a lot of time talking to each other in whistles, clicks, and pulses (coincidentally, this is how many of us communicate with our best friends). READ MORE »


News

Pretty much every day a new study comes out affirming what we already know: Facebook is turning us into quivering piles of insecurity who can barely muster the emotional strength to hit the “share” button on the latest version of the “Ermahgerd” meme. The latest findings come courtesy of the UK’s University of Salford, where… READ MORE »


Love & Sex

A study done at the University of Hertfordshire found that when it comes to love, it behooves you to (as Oprah instructs) “fake it until you make it.” Professor Richard Wiseman used a team of 100 speed daters as their guinea pigs. One hundred speed dates? That sounds exhausting! Anyhow, what he discovered was that… READ MORE »


Love & Sex

As if losing your job doesn’t suck enough, a recent survey conducted by online dating site It’s Just Lunch found that 75 percent of women wouldn’t even go on a date with an unemployed man. Well, 42 percent of women wouldconsider it. But 33 percent said there was no chance, while the other 25 percent said they would go on a date with… READ MORE »


News

Forget peace and quiet—a little noise can be your friend when it comes to generating ideas, a study finds. Sure, you don’t want sirens blaring outside your window, but the “ambient noise” of, say, a hopping coffee shop could actually help you work better. It’s distracting, but in a good way: It can prompt “disfluency” READ MORE »


Love & Sex

The way a woman moves is very telling. A carefully placed hand on your lap means she’s open to getting closer, but if she’s always putting an object between you (a table, a subway pole, another man), it’s time to back off. But according to a new study, you can infer a lot more than… READ MORE »


Love & Sex

Trying to woo her? It’s scientifically proven that flowers will make the job an easier one, reports the Telegraph. Psychologists in France conducted a study in which five attractive young men approached 600 women on the street; each introduced himself, complimented her looks, and asked for the lady’s phone number so he could invite her out… READ MORE »


Love & Sex

The snoring, the sheet-stealing, the random kicks: Sleeping with a partner may sound like bad news, but the Wall Street Journal reports that it might actually be good for your health. Writing for the Journal, Andrea Petersen notes that some recent studies’ findings “run counter” to previous ones indicating that women get better sleep when solo and both men… READ MORE »


Love & Sex

Many of us will ‘fess up to being a little Facebook-obsessed. Maybe we update our status a little too often or scroll through the newsfeed during boring dinner parties, but is it possible to actually be addicted to Facebook? Norwegian researcher Cecilie Schou Andreassen thinks so, and she’s devised a questionnaire to support her theory. READ MORE »


health

A new study published in the journal Psychological Science found that women are objectified at much higher rates than men. That sound you just heard was every woman in the world yelling, “Well, duh!” but still, this is a pretty interesting development, because as much as we can see and feel the effects of sexual… READ MORE »


Guys

Ladies, if you’ve ever wondered why you’re always heading home from the bar alone, the answer could be depressingly simple: you are too intelligent and alert. Slate.com has a really fascinating piece about an article soon to be published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior about “sexual exploitability,” or how the male of the species… READ MORE »


News

Caesarian sections are on the rise in the United States, but a new study out yesterday indicates that the surgical birth method may have an unexpected consequence. It found that babies born by C-section are twice as likely to be obese by age three, reports the Washington Post. Researchers reviewing the records of 1,255 mothers and… READ MORE »


News

Bad news for those of you who assumed yoga was curing all that ails you: A new study found no evidence that yoga’s mental effects benefit the body. The good news is that yoga does help to relieve lower back pain, the Wall Street Journal reports. However, stretching was found to be equally as effective… READ MORE »


News

Women have complained for years about the lack of diversity in the modeling industry, and while we’ve seen some small improvements, models are still overwhelmingly very tall, very thin, very young, and very white. However, a recent study might provide companies with just the motivation they need to change their ways: women spend a lot… READ MORE »


Love & Sex

Last week, we shared some of our biggest Facebook friend dealbreakers. You know, like Thou Shalt Not Post Status Updates About Your Child’s Poop. Stuff like that. This week, there’s a study about how to keep people from unfriending you (in case you haven’t been able to figure it out on your own). A survey… READ MORE »


Guys

According to a new study published in the Journal of Sex Research, 28 percent of  male college students admitted to faking orgasms during intercourse, oral sex and manual stimulation. The reasons guys pretended to orgasm were similar to those cited by the females — they wanted sex to be over, they wanted to please their… READ MORE »


1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24