Posts tagged "studies"

9 Most Useless Research Studies

I’m sure these researchers had their reasons for conducting these very real studies. We just don’t know what those reasons were.
How Long Can A Shrimp Run On A Treadmill? Noteworthy find from the study: “NSF spokeswoman Maria Zacharias said the shrimp study tested the effects of bacteria on mobility and that shrimps were a good…

TruTV / August 27, 2012

Married Women Drink More Than Married Men, Study Finds

New research has found that married women are drinking more than married men after tying the knot. Presented at the American Sociological Association meeting in Denver, the findings were derived from one long-term survey that provided information on more than 5,000 Wisconsin residents’ alcohol habits, gathered four times during a 47-year period. The research suggested that while…

Daley Quinn / August 23, 2012

Stomach Sleepers Have Sexier Dreams

Snoozing on your stomach may increase dreams about sex, says a new study. Hong Kong researchers surveyed 670 students, collecting data about sleep postures and dream content and found that stomach sleepers reported more erotic dreams than anyone else. They also described more feelings of “persecution,” “being tied up,” and “being locked up,” reports the…

Newser / August 12, 2012

Gay? Check The Pupils

Scientists have a new way of investigating a subject’s sexuality: It’s all in the eyes, they say. Instead of using invasive methods—such as a band around the penis—to determine sexual response, researchers at Cornell simply measured the dilation of subjects’ pupils in response to erotic videos, using an infrared lens. The scientists say it could…

Newser / August 7, 2012

Good News, Guys: That Hipster Mustache Might Save Your Life

So, apparently those handlebar mustaches and ironic neckbeards aren’t just babe magnets, they’re also a boon for your health! A group of Australian researchers found that facial hair provide an effective barrier against the sun’s UV rays. “Facial hair reduced the exposure ratios to approximately one-third of those to the sites with no hair,” the…

Winona Dimeo-Ediger / August 6, 2012

Your Vagina And Your Bicycle: What You Need To Know

Eek! Bicycle riding ladies, the Journal of Sexual Medicine has published a study about the bad things a bicycle can do to a vagina. According to researchers at Yale, competitive female cyclists who had their handle bars lower than their bike seat experienced “significantly higher vibratory thresholds in the anterior vagina, compared with riders whose…

Ami Angelowicz / August 4, 2012

To Fight Bone Loss, Drink Wine!

Move over, milk, there’s a more fun drink that helps keep women’s bones healthy as they get older: wine. Drinking the equivalent of two small glasses of wine each day helps post-menopausal women retain old bone, making their bones stronger overall and helping to fend off osteoporosis, according to a new study. Read more…

Newser / August 3, 2012

Let’s Go Ahead And Add This To Our Lengthy List Of Things To Have Anxiety About

Great news, my fellow hand-wringing, self-flagellating, twitchy-eyed neurotics: our anxiety about life, death, and everything in between is actually going to help kill us! Oh, the irony. Even negligible levels of psychological distress, significantly lower than amounts that would encourage a formal diagnosis of anxiety or depression, have now been officially linked to an early…

Rachel Krause / August 3, 2012

Inclement Weather Turns People On

Honestly, I was just kind of looking for an excuse to use the word inclement — one of my favorites — and this study seemed like the perfect vehicle. But also, it contains important findings about inclement weather and how it makes people horny. Research done by Trojan found that about 70 percent of America…

Ami Angelowicz / July 30, 2012

Life Dream Status: Someday We Might Speak Dolphin

Dolphins are like humans in a lot of ways: they have sex for pleasure, mingle with different social groups, and enjoy looking at themselves in the mirror. They also spend a lot of time talking to each other in whistles, clicks, and pulses (coincidentally, this is how many of us communicate with our best friends).

Winona Dimeo-Ediger / July 11, 2012

Where’s The Dislike Button? Social Media Is Ruining Our Lives

Pretty much every day a new study comes out affirming what we already know: Facebook is turning us into quivering piles of insecurity who can barely muster the emotional strength to hit the “share” button on the latest version of the “Ermahgerd” meme. The latest findings come courtesy of the UK’s University of Salford, where…

Winona Dimeo-Ediger / July 10, 2012

Fake Love Someone Until You Actually Do

A study done at the University of Hertfordshire found that when it comes to love, it behooves you to (as Oprah instructs) “fake it until you make it.” Professor Richard Wiseman used a team of 100 speed daters as their guinea pigs. One hundred speed dates? That sounds exhausting! Anyhow, what he discovered was that…

Ami Angelowicz / July 6, 2012

Study Says Women Don’t Date Unemployed Men

As if losing your job doesn’t suck enough, a recent survey conducted by online dating site It’s Just Lunch found that 75 percent of women wouldn’t even go on a date with an unemployed man. Well, 42 percent of women wouldconsider it. But 33 percent said there was no chance, while the other 25 percent said they would go on a date with…

YourTango.com / July 2, 2012

To Spur Creativity, Try A Noisy Café

Forget peace and quiet—a little noise can be your friend when it comes to generating ideas, a study finds. Sure, you don’t want sirens blaring outside your window, but the “ambient noise” of, say, a hopping coffee shop could actually help you work better. It’s distracting, but in a good way: It can prompt “disfluency&#8221…

Newser / June 24, 2012

What You Can Tell From A Woman’s Strut

The way a woman moves is very telling. A carefully placed hand on your lap means she’s open to getting closer, but if she’s always putting an object between you (a table, a subway pole, another man), it’s time to back off. But according to a new study, you can infer a lot more tha…

Ask Men / June 24, 2012

Flowers Really Can Make Love Bloom

Trying to woo her? It’s scientifically proven that flowers will make the job an easier one, reports the Telegraph. Psychologists in France conducted a study in which five attractive young men approached 600 women on the street; each introduced himself, complimented her looks, and asked for the lady’s phone number so he could invite her out…

Newser / June 23, 2012

To Sleep Better, Partner Up

The snoring, the sheet-stealing, the random kicks: Sleeping with a partner may sound like bad news, but the Wall Street Journal reports that it might actually be good for your health. Writing for the Journal, Andrea Petersen notes that some recent studies’ findings “run counter” to previous ones indicating that women get better sleep when solo and both me…

Newser / June 11, 2012

Addicted To Facebook? Answer These 6 Questions To Find Out!

Many of us will ‘fess up to being a little Facebook-obsessed. Maybe we update our status a little too often or scroll through the newsfeed during boring dinner parties, but is it possible to actually be addicted to Facebook? Norwegian researcher Cecilie Schou Andreassen thinks so, and she’s devised a questionnaire to support her theory.

Winona Dimeo-Ediger / June 5, 2012

New Study Measures The Objectification Of Women

A new study published in the journal Psychological Science found that women are objectified at much higher rates than men. That sound you just heard was every woman in the world yelling, “Well, duh!” but still, this is a pretty interesting development, because as much as we can see and feel the effects of sexual…

Winona Dimeo-Ediger / May 30, 2012

Sleepy & Stupid: Key Qualities Men Look For In One Night Stands

Ladies, if you’ve ever wondered why you’re always heading home from the bar alone, the answer could be depressingly simple: you are too intelligent and alert. Slate.com has a really fascinating piece about an article soon to be published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior about “sexual exploitability,” or how the male of the specie…

Jessica Wakeman / May 29, 2012
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...