Whenever I fly, I take the same airline and I have their vanilla in-flight safety video memorized by now. Yawn. But with their song-and-dance-filled safety video, Virgin America might actually make us attention to those oxygen mask instructions! Have you ever seen more pep over buckling your seatbelt or inflating your life vest? My only complaint is that I wish flight attendants actually sang in the aisles.
Tag Archives: songs
On the one hand, summer holidays are awesome. On the other, Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial end of the season. So while we’re stoked to have Monday off, we’re not so excited about the prospect of colder days and wearing more layers. It’s with that in mind that we made this Summer Bummer mix, full of songs that deftly capture that melancholy end of summer vibe. Take a listen, and share your favorite sad summer jams in the comments. Keep reading »
- Katy Perry and John Mayer have recorded a duet together, “Who You Love,” which is kinda more eyeroll-worthy than sweet. It’s all about how neither of them expected to fall in love with each other. Yeah, okay, whatever. The song will appear on Mayer’s upcoming album, which debuts next week. [US Weekly]
- There’s video of Justin Bieber’s bodyguards getting into a shoving match outside a nightclub in the Hamptons this weekend. Supposedly it was all over a bowtie. [Crushable]
- Kanye West bought two armored “super-SUV” vehicles to drive around Kim Kardashian and baby North at a cool $1.2 million each. Each SUV could withstand an attack from a rocket-propelled grenade. [Daily Mail UK]
- Awkward scenes from “Breaking Bad” premiere parties. [Flavorwire]
- The ShamWow guy, who’s also an ex-Scientologist, warned Leah Remini’s life may be in danger now that she’s left the Church. [ONTD] Keep reading »
Fiona Apple, what happened to your octopus? She should do all her music videos while wearing a cephalopod on her head. Maybe Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed “Hot Knife,” wouldn’t let her. Oh well. It’s still pretty good. By the way, that other woman in the video, facing off against Fiona? That’s her sister, the singer Maude Maggart, who also sang on Fiona’s new album The Idler Wheel… [SPIN]
Finally, research proves I’m not an unhappy person! For years, my friends have constantly criticized my choice of sad Vanessa Carlton tunes, always encouraging me to listen to happier, more uplifting music, but I have consistently declined. But according to a new study, listening to sad music can actually make you happy!
The study, conducted by scientists at the Tokyo University of the Arts and the RIKEN Brain Science Institute, claims that listening to sad music may trigger the opposite feeling it is meant to evoke. Researchers were curious to figure out why humans continued to listen to sad music if it only bummed them out. Keep reading »