Elle France beauty editor Jeanne Deroo has learned the hard way that, nope, dressing up in blackface to “honor” your favorite musician, Solange Knowles, isn’t okay. Keep reading »
Tag Archives: solange knowles
- Former Ford model and rapper LIV (pronounced “live”) has denied rumors that she and Jay Z ever had a fling, saying he asked for her number a couple of times but they’ve never hooked up. “I wasn’t going to disrespect B like that,” LIV told RadarOnline. (Also, Solange will stare down anyone who is talking to her sister’s man, because she is awesome.) [Radar Online]
- Usher’s five-year-old son, Usher Raymond V, has been hospitalized in the ICU after getting his arm stuck inside a pool drain. Usher V is his eldest son with ex-wife Tameka Foster, who last summer lost her 11-year-old son Kile (with another father) in another water-related accident. [People, US Weekly]
- Miley Cyrus has announced that her upcoming album will be called Bangerz, which makes me think of that Goldie Hawn movie, “The Banger Sisters,” and makes Amelia think of the British dish “bangers and mash.” Oh, plus a song featuring Britney Spears has allegedly leaked online. [E! Online] Keep reading »
- Neither Beyoncé nor Solange attended their father’s wedding in Texas this weekend because they had “previous engagements.” Awkward. [TMZ]
- After Paris Jackson leaves the hospital where she’s been receiving treatment for a suicide attempt, she will be enrolled in a boarding school in Utah for troubled teenagers. [Page Six]
- Pippa Middleton and her boyfriend Nico Jackson are supposedly planning to get engaged after the royal baby is born. [The Daily Beast]
- John Mayer dedicated a love song, “A Face To Call Home,” to Katy Perry at a concert. [Perez Hilton]
- Stacy Keibler’s about to get dumped by George Clooney. It’s been two years. Yup, that sounds about right. [Celebitchy] Keep reading »
I’m so glad we live in a world where there is not just one Knowles sister, but two, and that we are free to love both of them equally. A few months ago, I went to see Solange — that’s Beyonce’s little sis, for those of you who do not keep up with the spawn of Tina and Matthew — perform and was struck by how different these two are. Solange is a lot more understated in her singing, in her style and in her dance moves. But oh, how the crowd loves it when Basement Baby gets her groove on! While Beyonce turns out all sorts of tricks at her immense live show, all Solange has to do to get her fans screaming is snap her fingers, roll her shoulders and shimmy her hips. Click through to check out Solange’s killer moves on stage at Glastonbury Festival this weekend.
It should come as no surprise that for all the obsessing we do about Ryan Gosling, baby pandas, Grumpy Cat, Karl Lagerfeld, Chavril and the endless array of Be My Boyfriend candidates, The Frisky is most inspired by the work of the many rad women we look up to. There are so many pop culture heavyweights and high-powered newsmakers who show us how its done and inspire us with their achievements every day. Naturally, of course, we each have our favorites. With that in mind, each Frisky staff member was tasked with choosing and submitting their favorite rad and inspiring woman — okay, a few of us got to pick two — for nomination, along with a photo of herself and a blurb about why they chose the woman they did.
And now we want you to vote for your favorite of the 10 women we’ve chosen.
The poll will remain open for two weeks — until April 22 — and, at that time, the woman with the most votes will become, effectively, our Rad & Inspiring Woman of the Year.
So what do you say? Will you tell us who you love, too? Vote now! Keep reading »
Banana yellow and peachy orange is a difficult combo for most everyone. But not for Solange, because she is some kind of superhuman style heroine, capable of pulling off even the most bright and garish color combos. Somehow she makes this otherwise untenable combination look chic and completely current. The very definition of well played. [Photo: Fame/Flynet]
Beyonce is one tough act to follow, but it’s hardly a secret that Solange is the more style-savvy Knowles ― all those years spent concealed in the basement must have allowed Bey’s younger sis to amass quite the wardrobe. Solange’s eclectic fear-no-critic aesthetic means that, for all of her sartorial hits, she has her fair share of misses … not to mention misses that are hits just because she’s wearing them. The singer chose this slinky peach number for a fragrance launch last night, and though I wouldn’t call it a bad look because, well, Solange Knowles doesn’t do bad looks, I am weirdly bothered by the “hanging flap” effect created by the double slit. On a better note, girlfriend is sporting a bangin’ gold cage bracelet. Are you feeling this daring take on the trend, or do you prefer to keep the slit count at one?
Game over, everybody. Solange Knowles, in head-to-toe Dolce & Gabbana baroque and just dripping in gold, wins. It’s terrycloth sweatpants and old sports bras for me from here on out.
- Despite having just launched her new magazine last month, Carine Roitfeld has signed on as Global Fashion Director for Harper’s Bazaar. The former Vogue Paris EIC will produce “limited series of fashion stories” for all 26 of the mag’s international editions. Ever more intriguing is Roitfeld’s loaded decision to jump ship to Hearst. We wonder what Anna has to say? [HuffPo]
- Balenciaga is hosting an interview with Kristen Stewart on October 18 at 3 PM EST on the brand’s website. French Fashion editor Virginie Mouzat will moderate the interview, which will consist of 20 chosen questions. If your question is selected, not only will Kristen answer it live, but you’ll also receive a bottle of Florabotanica, the fragrance she represents. [Oyster]
- Jennifer Aniston‘s long-famous hair finally scored her a spokesperson deal, and it isn’t just as a pretty face ― Jen has signed on to play a pretty legit-sounding part as shareholder and product creator to Living Proof, a Boston-based haircare brand created by MIT scientists. (Tried and true: their products are awesome.) [Fashionista] Keep reading »
Beyonce is awesome, yeah, yeah, but I happen to have a way bigger girl crush on her younger sister Solange. I loved her album Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams, but it didn’t get nearly as much attention as, say, Beyonce’s last outfit change. A shame, really. Well, Solange is back with a new song called “Losing You,” and it was so worth the wait. The song’s smooth, alt-pop airiness perfectly showcases Solange’s vocals, while the video, featuring Solange and her friends hanging out with Cape Town’s Gentleman of Baconogo, is just straight up stylish. I still love you Beyonce, but damn if it isn’t time for Solange to get her due.