Some days, you’re like “I really can’t deal with working out, I’m so tired.” And then you read about kids like Brazilian boy Gabriel Muniz, who was born without feet and still manages to play soccer, and then you feel absolutely mortified about your own laziness. [YouTube]
Tag Archives: soccer
- FIFA, the organization that governs professional soccer, has reversed its ban on Muslim athletes wearing the hijab after FIFA’s medical committee approved two types of headscarves which won’t pose any danger on the field. [ESPN]
- A newsletter put out by Boston cops is filled with sexist, racist and all around icky jokes. [Bitch Magazine]
- The CIA is cracking down on sexual harassment within its ranks. [Los Angeles Times]
- Meet the female Marine Corps officer who believes women should not be allowed in combat roles. [Jezebel] Keep reading »
- The U.S. women’s soccer team is headed to the World Cup final! Let’s have a repeat of 1999! Goooooaaaaaal! [AP]
- Oprah Winfrey named herself the CEO of OWN, her new television network, which debuted in January. Winfrey replaced her original CEO of OWN just two months ago. I guess she decided if you want something done right you have to do it yourself! [The Wrap]
- Women in Oakland, California, respond to the race-baiting anti-abortion billboards that have sprung up in their city. I love the woman who says, “Definitely don’t put that on the sisters.” [Reproductive Justice Blog]
- An all-girls football league is coming to New York City’s public high schools. [Gothamist]
Women in Iran are already banned from watching soccer matches in stadiums, and pending government approval, Iranian women may soon be banned from watching soccer games aired live in movie theaters because it increases the likelihood of “inappropriate behavior,” i.e. sexy-sexy-time. A state police agency called for the ban, which will restrict women from congregating in mixed-gender theaters in major cities to watch the games, as is popular in Iran. Frankly, I’m surprised that women were even watching soccer matches alongside men in the first place, given how intermingling of the sexes is verboten. We hope that if the ban goes through, women are given their own movie theaters in which to watch games. Anything else would be sexism, pure and simple. But considering Iran already has a crap record for women’s rights, I’m not counting on it. [CNN] Keep reading »
I am not what you call graceful and athletic. When I told my friends/parents/significant other that I was joining a co-ed soccer team they laughed. I mean, my mom laughed. In my face. And my mom is a professional guidance counselor and is aware of what laughing in your kid’s face does to their self-esteem. So, yeah, not many people expected that I would stick with it. But three years and nine seasons later, I am actually a soccer team captain. And I couldn’t be happier. Keep reading »
Soccer players are so in right now. Though the World Cup definitely deserves the brunt of the credit for that, we have no idea why it took so long for people to obsess over what is essentially an army of incredibly fit, hot men. Now that the world has arrived at the fairly obvious conclusion that ogling soccer bods just makes sense, the Chelsea soccer team has signed a deal to be outfitted exclusively by Dolce & Gabbana when strolling sexily for public appearances. As though we needed yet another reason to stare … [The Independent] Keep reading »
So, Spain won the World Cup yesterday. Yay! Boo! Whatever! What? Anyway, Spain’s goalie, Iker Casillas, gave a post-game interview to Spanish sportscaster Sara Carbonero, who just happens to be his girlfriend. And, well, after seemingly thanking his teammates and his family, he just couldn’t resist planting a big, fat, victorious smooch right on her mouth. Super cute! [via Gawker TV] Keep reading »
When Landon Donovan kicked that penalty shot in the World Cup match against Ghana on Saturday to tie up the game, I have a feeling most women in the U.S. would have swooned and dropped trough for him immediately. (Sigh, if only Ghana hadn’t scored again and won the game.) Besides being an awesome soccer player, Donovan is pretty darn good-looking. Does he remind anyone else of Jack on “Dawson’s Creek“? Anyhoo, apparently, Donovan didn’t have any problems finding paramours when he was separated from wife Bianca Kajlich and playing in the U.K. last winter. And rumor has it that a woman has told a British tabloid she is pregnant with Donovan’s baby.
Keep reading »
I am by no means a sports fan. In fact, if I’m being honest, it took me eight full days to bother turning on ESPN to tune into the World Cup — this despite New York City’s peculiar, nearly European-scale football/soccer mania which has surrounded me for over a week and permeated my consciousness.
I’ve seen soccer matches before. I’ve attended them before. And I enjoy them, sure. My command of its rules and strategies is shaky at best, even though I played soccer as a kid. I recall seeing a match in Seville, Spain, and remember that after marveling over the physical beauty of the swarthy, sweaty, sexy footballers and getting momentarily swept up in the intense emotions of the fans, I got totally bored. No one ever scored, and the players seemed more interested in feigning injury and pantomiming intense pain to earn penalty kicks than in scoring hard-earned goals. And after hours of back and forth, the teams TIED. No one came out a winner.
THIS is the sport everyone loses their minds over? Keep reading »
- Behind the World Cup scene, some players are being subjected to human trafficking. Check out tonight’s episode of “Vanguard” on Current TV to see the dark side of professional soccer, in which some young players are sold for $500. [Vanguard]
- Bon voyage on your summer travels! Before you go, read up on these travel tips to ensure a safe and fun vacation. [Crushable]
- South Korea gets sexy! Every time the country’s soccer team plays well, the whole country scores. [F Listed]