I wrote my own response to “College Women: Stop Getting Drunk,” the Slate piece by Emily Yoffe that put the onus on young women to stop getting drunk so they are less susceptible to sexual assault. But here are some other kickass responses on the Internet:
- “How To Write About Rape Prevention Without Sounding Like An Asshole,” Erin Gloria Ryan, Jezebel
- “No. 1 Surefire Rape Prevention Tip For Ladies: Don’t Exist,” Katie Baker, Newsweek
- “College Men: Stop Getting Drunk,” Ann Friedman, AnnFriedman.com
- “Slate Forgot That The One Common Factor In Rapes Are Rapists,” Alexander Abad-Santos, The Atlantic Wire
- “‘Dear Prudence’ Columnist Publishes Rape Denialism Manifesto Advising Women To ‘Stop Getting Drunk’,” Lori Adelman, Feministing Keep reading »
I don’t want to write this post.
I really don’t want to write this post.
I really don’t want to write this post because all the ways that Slate columnist/link-baiter William Saletan is wrong about BDSM are so numerous and so glaringly inaccurate that I have half a mind not to dignify it with a response.
Alas, here I go:
Saletan asks whether, between 50 Shades of Grey and various colleges starting their own BDSM clubs, kink is going “mainstream,” as if sexuality is like rap music or the Atkins diet which spreads around the country once it becomes “cool”. He quickly concludes no, BDSM won’t ever be accepted by your Great Aunt Myrtle in Iowa City, because it’s actually “dangerous” — actual quote — and actually “consensual domestic violence” — actual quote.
His viewpoint only serves to further stigmatize what’s barely even taboo anymore, promoting the Dark Ages/maybe-in-rural-Alabama idea there’s “right” and “wrong” sexuality between consenting adults.
To which I have to say, shut the fuck up, William Saletan. Keep reading »
So the Democratic race for the nomination is finally over (yay, no more Hardball dominating our Tivo!), but just in case you missed any of the details, Slate has put together a brilliant 8 minute synopsis of how it all went down. Think of it as video Cliff Notes. [Slate]
P.S. Fox News, referring to Michelle Obama as Barack Obama’s “baby mama” is insanely disrespectful. [Jezebel] Keep reading »