Hands down, the best part about pop songs is the inevitable parodies that follow. It’s undeniable that “Blurred Lines” is the song of the summer, so it’s without question that a San Diego news station would use the Robin Thicke song for their own parody music video. The staff of U-T TV filmed their very own “Blurred Lines” parody about San Diego’s Mayor Bob Filner, who has been accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault by 16 different women, including constituents and many past employees. His most recent victim, a former employee, said Filner repeatedly asked her out on dates and one day grabbed her and kissed her on the lips. Ick. Keep reading »
Tag Archives: sexual assault
- Today the Defense Department released its new measures to prevent military sexual assault and to better aid survivors. [USA Today, Guardian UK]
- Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg’s lady-centric organization Lean In, which encourages young women to be bolder in the workplace, wants to hire an intern. An unpaid intern. Huh? [Change.org]
- Conservatives in Ohio plan to introduce an anti-abortion “fetal heartbeat” bill, which would criminalize pregnancy termination as soon early as six weeks into a pregnancy. [Columbus Dispatch]
- Vogue‘s September issue will feature an interview with Texas State Senator/pro-choice warrior Wendy Davis. [Politico]
- California’s Spreme Court rejected a bid to revive Proposition 8, a ban on gay marriage. [Los Angeles Times] Keep reading »
There are less obtuse ways of explaining the concept of a “rainstorm” in an advertisement, Data Cars. Because this one is looking a liiiiitle rapey, according to some anti-rape activists.
The London taxi company distributed 200,000 postcards which depicted this image — a woman in the rain, wearing a strapless dress and clutching something close to her chest while she looks unhappy — around London. While the image doesn’t explicitly depict a sexual assault, that association is easily conjured up by the fact the woman is showing so much bare skin and clutching clothes in her arms. Keep reading »
Four former players for the Vanderbilt University football team were indicted on Friday for the alleged rape of an unconscious female student this past June. The Nashville college dismissed the four young men and barred them from campus while the investigation is underway. Keep reading »
Nicest Burglars Ever Return Valuables After Realizing They Stole From Sexual Assault Services Nonprofit
On the night of July 31, police arrived at the San Bernardino County Sexual Assault Services office to respond to an alarm. According to CBS Los Angeles, the building had been broken into through the ceiling, but by the time police arrived the thieves had already fled the area. Cindy Stalling, the executive director was notified, but the investigation had to wait until morning. Two hours later, however, Stalling received a call about more suspicious activity at the office. When she arrived, she found something absolutely shocking.
- An 11-year-old girl in India died after she was set on fire for resisting a sexual assault. The youngster was hassled by kids while she was trying to go to the bathroom; when she tried to get away from them, two men reportedly doused her in kerosene and set her on fire. She eventually succumbed to burns on over 70 percent of her body. So far, only one 18-year-old suspect has been arrested. [Huffington Post]
- The Pentagon plans to debut a new series of sexual assault policies soon, but they will also be forced to follow new procedures in this year’s defense bill. [Politico]
- A 10th woman has come forward accusing San Diego Mayor Bob Filner of sexual harassment. Filner, who has publicly admitted to having a problem mistreating women but denied that it’s sexual harassment, recently announced he would undergo therapy. [Salon]
- On why it’s not easy for black female celebrities like Raven-Symone to come out of the closet. [The Daily Beast] Keep reading »
A small village in Florida was created in the 1960s in the middle of sugar cane fields to house the people who worked there. Some of these sugar cane workers still live there, but these days half of the residents of this “Miracle Village” are registered sex offenders. Since 2009, Miracle Village has been home to about 100 sex offenders who have nowhere else to go. Florida, like many states, has a law that forbids sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of anywhere children congregate, such as schools, parks, bus stops, and day care centers.
For many, this makes it nearly impossible to find somewhere to live. Miracle Village’s closest neighbor, however, is about three miles away through fields of sugar cane. Keep reading »
The ongoing trial of Li Tianyi, a 17-year-old boy accused of participating in the gang rape of a woman in Beijing, spurred some vomit-inducing comments from Yi Yanyou, a professor at Tsinghua University. As the blog Shanghaiist reported, in defending the accused rapist, Yanyou posted to his Weibo account that since “a bargirl, a dancing girl, an escort or a prostitute” is more likely to consent to sex, it isn’t as bad to rape them. Keep reading »
In 1977, the filmmaker Roman Polanski asked the mother of a 13-year-old girl named Samantha Gailey if he could photograph her daughter for French Vogue. The mom agreed and the young girl privately posed topless for the famous director, which she later said made her feel uncomfortable. In a second private photo session with Polanski at the Los Angeles home of Jack Nicholson, he offered her champagne and a qualude while he photographed her. Polanski then raped her vaginally, anally and orally while she repeatedly asked him to stop.
Samantha Gailey, who now goes by Samantha Geimer, is now publishing a memoir, The Girl: A Life In The Shadow Of Roman Polanski. Keep reading »
- A woman turned from victim to criminal in Dubai after she reported she had been raped, but was then sentenced to jail for having “extramarital sex.” So messed up. [VG Nett]
- The rise in deaths among young women in England and Scotland is starting to become “worrisome.” [Science Daily]
- Although Obama’s administration is comprised of mostly men, it boasts white men as the minority, a first in history. [USA Today] Keep reading »