A New Jersey Catholic high school is under fire for asking girl students to take a no-swearing pledge for 30 days because it says, “We want ladies to act like ladies.” Keep reading »
Tag Archives: sexist
Presented without comment.
- The City University of New York has been cited with a complaint to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights for allowing the discrimination against a 27-year-old pregnant student. Stephanie Stewart was told by a teacher that she could not make up homework or tests due to pregnancy-related absences, including labor and delivery. She was told by CUNY that professors are allowed to make their own rules about students making up work — despite the fact the federal law Title IX prohibits sex discrimination, including against pregnant students with medically necessary absences. Like, oh, giving birth! I’ll be curious to watch how this pans out. [National Women's Law Center] Keep reading »
“The romance is obviously going out of the marriage. You know, it may be your mom isn’t as sweet as you think she is; she may be kind of hard-nosed.
A woman came to a preacher I know — it’s so funny. She was awful looking. Her hair was all torn up, she was overweight and looked terrible. And she said, ‘Oh, Reverend, what can I do? My husband has started to drink.’ And the preacher looked at her and he said, ‘Madam, if I were married to you, I’d start to drink too.’”
– Priceless relationship tips from televangelist Pat Robertson on “The 700 Club,” trying to help a 17-year-old who is concerned his father is ignoring his mother. I think we should give Robertson his own column on The Frisky, so he can share his unique perspective on love with us all. Amelia, what sort of budget do we have for this? [Queerty]
- Last week, ESPN sportscaster Jemele Hill, who is black, shared on Twitter a horrifically racist and sexist letter that she received from a viewer. It’s pretty fucking awful. [Clutch Magazine, Huffington Post]
- I don’t even want to know about a “bulimia machine.” [Jezebel]
- Alabama State Rep. Patricia Todd, who is openly gay, introduced a bill that would repeal the inclusion of an anti-gay curriculum, which teaches that homosexuality is “unacceptable,” in the state’s public schools. [Human Rights Campaigns]
- Students involved in the Steubenville “rape crew” — who raped an unconscious teen girl, took pictures, and bragged about it in a chilling video — are now seeing their college prospects falter. [Atlantic Wire] Keep reading »
Police in Swaziland are now enforcing an 1889 law against “immoral” dressing and will arrest any woman who incites a complaint by wearing a miniskirt, low-rise jeans, or crop tops in public. Keep reading »
I will never so much as smile at my boss Amelia again. Why? Because the Iowa Supreme Court ruled today that an employer can fire an employee that he or see finds sexually “irresistable.” The case in question was dentist James Knight who fired his attractive assistant Melissa Nelson because both he and his wife thought this woman could come between them. Also, she wore “distracting” tight clothing! An all-male panel of seven judges agreed this slutty slut had to go: they said it’s not discrimination for bosses to fire someone with whom they have an “irresistible attraction,” even if the person in question has not flirted with them. Keep reading »
Women In Military Shouldn’t Disrupt “Band Of Brothers” By Serving In Combat Roles, Retired General Writes
- A male retired Army general penned an op-ed for the Washington Post about why women should not openly serve in combat roles, which apparently seems to stem from wanting to “protect” lady-soldiers from rape and not breaking up the “band of brothers.” [Washington Post]
- Here’s why the Violence Against Women Act is stalled in Congress. [Huffington Post]
- Check out critic Anita Sarkeesian’s TEDxwomen talk in which she discusses the crazy trolls who bombarded her with death threats after she tried to do a feminist critique of video games. [Kotaku] Keep reading »
When I was a little girl, playing LEGOs with my little brother was far from appealing. Not only did I have no interest in hanging out with him anyway, but I much preferred settling myself in my bedroom loft, cutting my Barbie’s hair off and allowing her to scandalously peck my Swan Princess Prince Derek Barbie doll on the cheek. Barbie got lucky with him. He was a hunk.
Next week, though, Mattel will be combining a LEGO-like atmosphere with Barbie in their new construction set, Mega Bloks Barbie Build ‘n Style. This new toy, featuring a mini-Barbie that can attach to each construction site, comes in various scenes like “a fashion boutique, a mansion and an ice cream cart,” where the children can rearrange and build the play set themselves. Keep reading »