Times are hard. But one Italian law student whose moped is about to break is getting entrepreneurial: she’s selling naked pictures of herself over Facebook to raise money for new wheels. The student known only as Mary posted a picture of herself holding a sign in Italian, which obscures her face but puts her lovely boobs on full display. She also posted fliers around her home city of Naples with her business deal. She’s already sold quite a few naked pics, apparently! ”I like to make photos and I want to have some fun this way,” she wrote on Facebook. “Plus, my scooter is close to its end. … and I need to buy a new one, so why not?” Sounds fine to me. She’s being upfront about what the wants the money for and she’s keeping the buyers anonymous. Frankly, selling naked pics is a lot more honest than the way a lot of other people earn money. [New York Daily News]
Tag Archives: sex work
- France’s parliament is reviewing a proposed bill today to curb sex work by punishing the johns with a $2,000 fine while protecting the sex workers. Prostitution is currently legal in France. [France24, Huffington Post]
- Civil rights activist Faya Rose Toure was arrested in Selma, Alabama for protesting the construction of a monument to the first grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. What the fuck, Alabama? Really? [AL.com] Keep reading »
- Blogger Melissa Gira Grant critiques Equality Now, which recently had a speech by Joss Whedon in which he discussed feminism, for its anti-prostitution stance … [Talking Points Memo]
- … and blogger Flavia Dzodan critiques the contents of Whedon’s speech itself. [Red Light Politics]
- Here’s Dream Hampton’s response to the murder last weekend of Renisha McBride, a 19-year-old girl who was shot to death after she got in a car accident and knocked on someone’s door for help. [YouTube]
- bell hooks and Melissa Harris Perry held a conversation today at The New School that was streaming live online. I cannot wait to watch it this weekend! It should at the link here and also on The New School’s YouTube page soon. [ColorLines] Keep reading »
One encounters a lot of tourists in the sex industry. While many clients are technically tourists–visiting from other cities, states, or countries–I’m talking about working tourists.
Work tourists are young women, usually either college educated or in the process of getting a college education, who hear about how empowering sex work is, and decide to jump on the bandwagon. They’re different from girls who strip or escort their way through college, in that that they don’t really need sex work. Their education is usually paid for by their parents or scholarships, and the income they earn from their erotic labor is usually money to go out with friends or buy designer bags and shoes. Sex work is a game to them, not a livelihood, and certainly not a career choice. Read more on The Gloss…
I’m dying to know whether it was a student or a parent who discovered Dallas high school Spanish teacher Cristy Nicole Deweese had also posed nude for Playboy and Playboy.com. Because reporting that to the authorities was probably an awkward conversation.
Deweese, 21, posed naked three years ago as a “Coed Of The Month” for Playboy as well as on Playboy.com as a cybergirl.” Today she teaches Spanish at Townview Magnet High School in Dallas, Texas.
I don’t think it should matter whether teachers have worked as strippers or escorts, posed topless or appeared in porn in the past. If my hypothetical kid’s teacher is a gifted and hard-working educator, that is what’s important to me. As long as teachers conduct themselves professionally and keep their past careers out of the classroom, it should be a nonissue. Keep reading »
- A rent hike has forced the Lusty Lady, an employee-owned co-ed strip club in San Francisco, to close its doors after 30+ years. The Lusty Lady, which was featured in the 2000 documentary “Live Nude Girls Unite,” was the first strip club in the country to form a union for dancers and provide health insurance and a 401(k). [San Francisco Gate]
- Ridgedale Church of Christ in Tennessee banned a family from attending services after their daughter, who is a police officer and a lesbian, fought for the same benefits for same-sex couples as heterosexual couples enjoy. The church accused the entire family of “endorsing” the “gay lifestyle.” [Raw Story]
- Juliette Kayyem, a former homeland security official in the Obama administration, announced she is running for governor of Massachusetts as a Democrat in 2014. [Boston.com] Keep reading »
Prostitutes, unless they’re the totally unrealistic Julia-Roberts-In-”Pretty-Woman” kind, are rarely given much cultural consideration outside of a very narrow scope. When you become a prostitute, it seems, you give up your personhood, often reduced to a two-dimensional stereotype that we all carry in our heads.
But sex workers are just like the rest of us — with hopes and dreams and curiosity about the world. Photographer Chris Arnade wanted to capture that, so he brought his telescope to the Hunts Point section of the Bronx, known for being a popular prostitution zone. Keep reading »
The Internet can be a dangerous place and it seems that adults are now in need of the same Internet safety classes as children these days. Take one Floridian model who traveled up to New York to meet a man she met on Instagram, only to be forced into sex slavery for 12 days. Keep reading »
Noted horndog and former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, 76, was found guilty of paying for sex from a 17-year-old at one of his famous “bunga bunga” parties and sentenced to seven years in prison. Although Karima El Mahroug passed herself off as being 24, the Moroccan nightclub dancer nicknamed Ruby the Heart Stealer was definitely not over 18, the legal age to pay someone for sex in Italy. Keep reading »
To celebrate International Day of Prostitutes (apparently that’s a thing?) on June 2, Brazil’s director of the Department of STDs, AIDS, and Viral Hepatitis devised an ad campaign to encourage the use of condoms in the country’s legal prostitution industry, as well as remove the social stigma surrounding sex work. Unfortunately, it turns out that most people didn’t feel that the ads’ message was quite appropriate. One PSA read, “I cannot be seen without a condom, my love.” But the poster that has received the most attention featured a smiling woman and the phrase “I’m happy being a prostitute.” Keep reading »