- While recently shopping in Zurich, Switzerland, a shop clerk refused to show Oprah Winfrey a purse because it was “too expensive.” But Rush Limbaugh wants to assure us all that this didn’t happen because of racism against Black women, but because Oprah is “fat.” [Media Matters For America]
- Corporate lobbyists representing Macy’s and Kroger got the Texas governor to veto an equal pay bill. [The Daily Beast]
- Listen to so-called “crisis pregnancy centers” in Virginia lie to women about how abortions ruin relationships, the birth control pill causes breast cancer, and condoms don’t protect against STDs. [Cosmopolitan, The Nation]
- Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) has called for San Diego mayor Bob Filner to resign following double-digit allegations of sexual assault and sexual harassment. [Talking Points Memo]
- 10 tips for keeping your man happy … courtesy of the 1950s. [Mental Floss] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: rush limbaugh
Sometimes terrible things happen, and they’re so unbelievably heinous, all you can do is gasp in horror. That’s the general response most of us have had to the harrowing story of Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus — three women kidnapped, chained and held against their will in Cleveland, Ohio, for a decade. But oh, that’s not what Rush Limbaugh did. Instead, on his broadcast last night, Rush decided to wax philosophical on what it all means. You see, Rush Limbaugh watched an episode of “Hawaii 5-0″ last night. It was about kidnapped and murdered women who were used in a welfare plot. And in between contemplating his lonely, sad, dessicated existence, Rush conjured up a tacky ass conspiracy theory about the Ohio kidnapping victims.
It goes something like this: What if the Ohio “victims” were actually part of a huge welfare scam. And also, they all voted for Obama, so you know! Basically, this whole thing is just what happens when you elect Obama! And these chicks are just welfare queens waiting to happen! He also helpfully points out that the women get “double welfare benefits if one of the women has a baby,” after noting that one of the women, Amanda Berry, did, in fact, have a baby — a child she had after being raped, likely by Ariel Castro. Keep reading »
- Today in Things Rush Limbaugh Grossly Misunderstands About America in 2013: he raved on his show about how Beyoncé’s new song “Bow Down” is an ode to wifely submission, praising her for doing a “total 180,” marrying her “rich” husband Jay-Z and “she now understands it’s worth it to bow down.” Now, had this four-times-married conservative shock jock actually listened to the song, he would know that “Bow Down” is not about wifely submission at all and is actually about jealous girls. Or that the title is not called “Bow Down Bitches.” [Think Progress]
Rush Limbaugh is getting the Hollywood treatment, courtesy of John Cusack. The (liberal) actor’s production company plans to start work next year on a movie about Limbaugh, with Cusack playing the leading role himself, reports AP. Except for the fact that Betty Thomas is directing, no other details are known. Limbaugh, though, will be sure to love this AP comparison: “Cusack is a slender, dark-haired 46-year-old, while Limbaugh is 61, balding and portly.” Read more…
Conservative talk radio host and major douchebag Rush Limbaugh has unwisely ensured that “Rush Limbaugh small penis” will forevermore be the most delightful of Internet search terms. Keep reading »
While trying to promote peace and justice throughout the United States, a Catholic social justice group called Nuns On The Bus have been threatened with a “pistol whipping.” On a radio show last week, host Jan Mickelson talked about the nuns recent protest of a conservative budget plan and asked his guest Rep. Tom Latham (R-IA) if he has “any power to pull the nuns on the bus over and pistol whip them.”
Ha … ha? Keep reading »
[W]hat I’ve learned [after being called a "slut" by Rush Limbaugh on his show] has less to do with Mr. Limbaugh specifically and more to do with a part of our population that has this view. Because frankly, you don’t go on national radio and talk for several days about something that no one wants to hear. There’s an audience for this type of sexist vitriol. There is real hate and sexism within our society that we have to do something about.
– Here, here, Sandra Fluke! The Georgetown University law student — who was famously called a “slut” and “prostitute” on-air by Rush Limbaugh after she testified before House Democrats about the limited coverage for birth control at her school — was interviewed this week in The New York Times Magazine. Even though I found Fluke’s comments about erotica/pornography ignorant and annoying — Interviewer: “What does feminist porn look like?” Fluke: “I’ll let you know when I find any.” — she was otherwise super articulate and smart, especially when discussing the difference between free speech and slander. I hope Sandra Fluke runs for office someday and unseats some douchebag Rick Santorum acolyte. [NY Times Magazine]
During his (frighteningly) popular radio talk show on June 13, Rush Limbaugh didn’t hesitate to add Catholic nuns to his oh-so-scary list of “feminazis.” Limbaugh voiced his concern over the Vatican’s “doctrinal assessment” of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR), where the Vatican had determined the LCWR to have ”serious doctrinal problems” because they are promoting “radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith.” The LCWR has spurred much reaction throughout the United States, including Nun Justice rallies, a nine-state bus tour, and a Change.org petition.
Limbaugh attacked the nuns for challenging the American bishops on the Affordable Care Act, which would improve access to affordable health coverage for everyone:
“Yeah, but what are the nuns doing? Do you know what the nuns are doing? The nuns have gone feminazi on everybody. This small group of nuns in the Catholic Church is going feminist, and the Vatican is obviously–well, a figure of speech, slapping them down. And the Vatican is trying to tamp it down and say, ‘No, no, no, that doesn’t happen. There’s no such thing as a feminist nun.’”
Women Who Go Into The Workforce Are Ugly, According To Rush Limbaugh’s Wildly Inaccurate Twisting Of Study
I’m fairly certain that Rush Limbaugh could take Goodnight, Moon and twist it into a tale of shrill harpies hellbent on John Bobbitt-ing the male species and strangling newborn babies with their long, flowing strands of armpit hair.
That is the only explanation for his wildly inaccurate (and, it should go without saying, wildly sexist) April 16 interpretation of a study published this month in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. According to Rush, the study concluded “the real reason women pursue careers is because they fear they are too unattractive to get married.” (He also wondered, “Is this the real reason liberal women insist on working?”)
According to the actual study … not so much.
Funny thing about March Madness — it’s now April! But we’ve made it to our final two, bat shit nuts competitors. And it’s a political crazy-off as the lady-loathing state of Arizona goes head-to-head with slut-shaming Rush Limbaugh. So, who is the coo-coo for cocoa puffs champion? You decide!