- A 15-year-old boy who participated in the gang rape of an 8-year-old girl in Arizona has received probation from a judge. All of the children were immigrants from the war-torn country of Liberia. The boy, who held the girl down while she was assaulted by three boys, will remain in treatment for the next year and will be on probation until he turns 18. The judge said he will decide whether or not the boy must register as a sex offender once he’s seen how the boy has responded treatment. [Arizona Republic]
- Attention California: Carly Fiorina wants to be your senator! The former CEO of Hewlett-Packard is gunning for Barbara Boxer’s seat. [New York Times Magazine]
Tag Archives: rape
Good news, Roman Polanski, a man who cheated on his partner with her adopted daughter is on your side! On Saturday, director Woody Allen told the media at the Cannes Film Festival that Polanski is “embarrassed,” “has suffered” and “has paid his dues” for a 1977 incident where he provided drugs to a 13-year-old girl and then raped her. Polanksi served 42 days in prison back in ’78, but he fled to Europe, where he has lived and made films for decades. Recently, Polanksi has been under house arrest in Switzerland and is facing jail time in the United States. Late last week, another woman accused Polanski of sexually assaulting her over two decades ago. Actress Charlotte Lewis says the director “forced himself” on her when she was 16 and they were working on the film “Pirates” together. Keep reading »
Another day, another sports star accused of rape: Lawrence Taylor, a former football player for the New York Giants, was arrested today for allegedly sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl. The girl, whose identity will likely be kept secret because of her young age, was allegedly prostituted out by a pimp at a Holiday Inn in Suffern, New York. Police say the victim, a teen runaway from Bronx, New York, missing since March, was also allegedly beaten during the liaison, although it’s unclear who the beating came from. The girl reportedly texted her uncle while her pimp was driving back to the Bronx and he called the police, who intercepted the car. The teen was taken to a hospital, where she was treated for a punch to her face and given a rape examination. Taylor, who has had numerous past run-ins with the law involving drugs, will be charged with third-degree rape, which includes charges of sex with a minor. Keep reading »
Brilliant: somebody’s made “Rapelisberger” T-shirts — that would be Ben Roethlisberger, the Pittsburgh Steelers QB who has been accused of sexual assault twice in the past year — with his number “7″ and the phrase “no means no” on the front. The NFL may have only suspended Roethlisberger from six games and ordered him to attend “comprehensive behavioral counseling,” but something tells me a nickname like “Rapelisberger” sticks for life. [Rapelisberger.com] Keep reading »
An Australian jury acquitted 23-year-old Nicholas Gonzales of rape because it refused to believe the alleged victim’s skinny jeans could have been removed without “collaboration.” Gonzales and the alleged victim, a 24-year-old woman, met for drinks in April 2008 and then returned to his house to listen to music. Gonzales claims they had consensual sex together; the victim says she was raped and “I struggled to try to get up for a while and then he undid my jeans and he pulled them off.” But defense lawyer Paul Hogan said he thought it would be “difficult for skinny jeans to be taken off by someone else unless the wearer’s assisting, collaborating, consenting.” And the jury believed him. Keep reading »
- The Oklahoma Legislature voted today to override two vetoes on bills restricting abortion, which Governor Brad Henry had vetoed last week. One bill requires a doctor to show a woman who wants an abortion an ultrasound and describe the development of the fetus, with no exception for rape and incest victims. The second bill protects doctors from malpractice lawsuits if they do not tell the parents that the fetus has birth defects. Gov. Henry said the first bill was an intrusion into a woman’s privacy and called the second bill immoral. Two other abortion-related bills are still working their way through OK’s legislature. [New York Times]
- Did you know there are “chick cars” and “dude cars”? Automotive industry experts say accelerator and break pedals are now being made with womens’ high heels in mind and the 2010 Chevy Equinox comes with a spacious center console for a purse (although if you’re a dude, the salesman might tell you it’s for “a laptop”). A General Motors spokesman also said a back-up camera display in the rear-view mirror will be helpful for people who have trouble parallel parking, which we’re supposed to infer means women. Annoying. [Wheels.ca]
- OK, this is a sad one: a spokesperson for Sisters Arab Forum for Human Rights says a 13-year-old girl in Yemen died of severe bleeding to her genitals four days after an arranged marriage. Question: why does the AP not use the words “sexual assault” once in this article? Recently a religious decree in Yemen forbade the marriage of girls younger than 17 years old, which prompted top Islamic leaders there to declare supporters of the ban “apostates.” [AP]
- The City Council of Austin, Texas, ruled this morning that so-called “crisis-pregnancy centers” that don’t offer or refer women to abortion or birth control services must post signs on their premises clarifying this. Supporters of abortion rights say CPCs, which are not medical clinics, are often located near actual abortion clinics and try to dissuade women from terminating their pregnancies. [Austin American-Statesman]
- That’s what happens when …
“That’s what happens” is just another way to say “boys will be boys,” meaning it is another way to level some of the blame on the victim instead of squarely on the perpetrator where it belongs. Saying “that’s what happens” to the victim is dismissive and unust. Sexually assaulted by a drunk guy at a party when you were drunk, too? That’s what happens when you get drunk around a drunk rapist. Sexually assaulted walking home alone at 2a.m.? That’s what happens when you’re out alone in the middle of the night with no one to protect you from a rapist. Sexually assaulted when you were passed out and couldn’t defend yourself? That’s what you get for passing out and not being able to defense yourself from a rapist. You get the ida.
- Silence is the same thing as consent, or “Not saying no is the same thing as saying yes.”
Everyone flips their shizz when anyone suggests that sex should have consent. (Google the words “Antioch college” and “rape” for proof of this.) Somebody — usually the type of woman or man who writes the anti-feminist stuff — immediately overreacts and makes accusations that you’re “ruining” sex by requiring that two people ask each other permission before they do anything together. No, no, and once again, no. No one seriously believes I should have to verbally ask my boyfriend “Can I kiss your lips?”, “Can I unbutton your pants?” or “Can I take out your penis and stroke it?” But there has to be some kind of consent — whether it’s verbal articulation, like “That feels good!” or “Yes, yes!” or just happy noises, like “Mmm!” — for sexual activity to be kosher. Especially during the first, or first couple, of sexual incidents. If I unbuttoned my boyfriend’s pants and started playing with his penis and he did not verbally or physically indicate to me that he liked and wanted to encourage this behavior, I would stop. I have no idea whatsoever why someone would kiss, grope, have sex with, etc. another person who is lying there passively and/or is not fully engaged. He or she not consenting — in fact, it doesn’t sound like they’re at all interested — so why is their sex partner persisting? That is how date rape happens.