- Reebok finally dropped Rick Ross after he rapped about drugging and date raping a woman. Ross didn’t really apologize, prompting feminist activists to pressure Reebok to drop the rapper. In a statement, Reebok said, “While we do not believe that Rick Ross condones sexual assault, we are very disappointed he has yet to display an understanding of the seriousness of this issue or an appropriate level of remorse.” [Fashionista, TMZ]
- “The Office” star/Mindy Kaling BFF B.J. Novak got a seven-figure book deal to write two books. SEVEN figures?!?! [New York Times]
- Adult children’s book “Go The Fuck To Sleep” is getting adapted into a movie. [Deadline Hollywood]
- The first transgender character in mainstream comics is Batgirl’s roommate. [Flavorwire] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: rap
Last night, Jay-Z went into the studio with Timbaland and Swizz Beatz and recorded a new song that he released a few hours later. “Open Letter” has a relatively simple, but completely hot beat and features Hov rapping about his ownership of the Brooklyn Nets and he and Beyonce’s recent controversial trip to Cuba.
“Boy from the hood but got White House clearance / Sorry y’all, I don’t agree with y’all appearance / Politicians never did shit for me / Except lie to me, distort history / Wanna give me jail time and a fine / Fine, let me commit a real crime.”
Hot 97 played the track over and over and over again this morning and I gotta tell you, I didn’t mind the break from Kendrick Lamar and the latest Rihanna track. When Jay’s on the radio, y’all gon learn today! Listen below! [Hot 97]
“I don’t have a problem with gay people. I got some gay homies. Yeah, for real. People who were gay used to get beat up. It was cool to beat up on gay people back then. But in the 90s and 2000s, gay is a way of life. Just regular people with jobs. Now they are accepted, not classified. They just went through the same things we went through as black. … Frank Ocean ain’t no rapper. He’s a singer. It’s acceptable in the singing world, but in the rap world I don’t know if it will ever be acceptable because rap is so masculine. It’s like a football team. You can’t be in a locker room full of motherf–king tough-ass dudes, then all of a sudden say, ‘Hey, man, I like you.’ You know, that’s going to be tough.”
––Well, Snoop, I’d argue that gay has been a “way of life” since, like, forever. But still, it’s interesting to hear a major figure in the rap world actually offer up some coherent thoughts on homosexuality in the rap game. And, for what it’s worth, Snoop, I do know of openly gay (and trans!) rappers who have steadily been making their way to the mainstream. There’s hope for acceptance, yet. [The Guardian]
- Rapper Tyga is booked for the Yardfest concert this month on Harvard’s campus — but not if over 1,000 students, who have signed a petition requesting him not to perform for the school on the basis of his sexist and violent lyrics, get their way. In particular, the song “Rack City” is problematic for its profligate use of the word “bitch” and lyrics comparing himself to a pimp making a woman “hop the boulevard / I need my money pronto.” [Harvard Crimson, Salon]
- In related news, Talib Kweli told a HuffPost Live segment that Rick Ross is “misguided” and should apologize for rapping about drugging a woman and raping her. Ross kinda sorta apologized already, but not really, because he just blamed women for “misunderstanding” him. [Madame Noire]
- The Dallas Mavericks owner said he would be willing to draft Brittney Griner, a 6’8″ player for the Baylor women’s basketball team, to his team in the NBA. Presently there is no rule which says the NBA can’t draft a woman. [ESPN]
- Karen Finney, the first African-American spokesperson for the Democratic National Committee, has joined MSNBC as a new talk show host. [NewsOne] Keep reading »
- Radio station 103.7 The Beat in Michigan announced it won’t play Rick Ross or Lil Wayne music in their rotation because of their offensive lyrics. Wayne equated what he wanted to do to a woman’s body with what happened to murdered black man Emmett Till; earlier this week, Ross rapped about slipping “molly” (MDMA) in a woman’s drink and raping her. A statement from 103.7 The Beat explained, ”While we believe in freedom of speech, creative writing and individualism, we refuse to be part of the problem by spreading messages that could harm or end someone’s life.” Ross, meanwhile, says the whole thing is a “misinterpretation” because he never said the word “rape” and he wants all the “sexy ladies, the beautiful ladies” to know he thinks rape is bad. Uh huh. [Clutch Mag, Clutch Mag]
- Arizona’s state House advanced a bill that will allow business owners to ban transgendered folks from using the bathroom of their identified sex (i.e. a trans man who was biologically born a woman would be required to use the woman’s bathroom). [Salon] Keep reading »
- “Put Molly all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it/I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain’t even know it,” are some charming new Rick Ross lyrics from a song by Rocko called “You Don’t Even Know It.” ‘Molly’ is a slang term for the drug MDMA. See, what the girl in Rick Ross’ song doesn’t even know is that she’s getting drugged and RAPED. Fucking gross. [Hello Beautiful]
- “Spring Breakers” director Harmony Korine got banned from David Letterman’s show after her was caught rifling through Meryl Streep’s purse in her dressing room. Ew. [Moviefone]
- Justin Bieber took his shirt off inside a Polish airport. Not his shoes, his shirt. It’s official: he’s official melting down. [New York Daily News]
- The dog belonging to the daughter of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords attacked a baby sea lion. Sadz! [CBS Local]
- Another “The Great Gatsby” teaser trailer, y’all. [NYMag.com] Keep reading »
Nine-years-old is apparently old enough for pint-sized actress Quvenzhané Wallis to be called a c**t.
So why not let a nine-year-old rapper called Lil Poopy slap an adult woman’s ass in his music video for “Pop That Remix”? Childhood — who needs it?
Ugh. When the fuck did we stop letting children be children and start sexualizing them?
With the cold winter months approaching, it’s time to heat things up. Our new newsletter, Hump Day Hotties, will bring our favorite eye candy directly into your inbox every Wednesday. (Subscribe here!) Feel free to drool. We won’t judge.
I can’t lie: my Spotify listening of late has been all Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, all the time. Their hip hop album The Heist is the best I’ve heard all year and that’s saying something because it was a good year for music. And it doesn’t hurt that Macklemore — aka Ben Haggerty — is easy on the eyes, too. I daresay he looks like a more blonde, masculine version of The Gos. Keep reading »
Whether you’ve got 99 problems or you’re a motherfuckin’ monster, chances are you probably like coloring books. (Everyone likes coloring books.) And this quirky rap coloring book will keep you busy coloring in Jay-Z and connecting the dots on Tupac. Too bad Nicki Minaj is excluded, because you totally could have used all the crayons in your box coloring on her crazy hair. [ANIMAL New York]
We just found out about Awkwafina and now we’re kind of in love. The tiny rapper created the track “My V@g,” in which she compares her vagina to a “chrome Range Rover / your vag / hatchback ’81 Toyota.” Yeah, it’s that good. [The Hairpin]