Thanksgiving does not officially begin until the national news media gathers outside the White House for the pomp-and-circumstance of the president not murdering a poor, defenseless bird. This year’s lucky turkey is Popcorn from Badger, Minnesota, who, loves to eat corn and dances to Beyoncé’s “Halo,” according to the White House blog. Even less enthusiastic about being there than the media standing out the the cold were Sasha and Malia Obama. They have the look all over their faces that they are getting too old for this shit. [NBC Washington] [Image via Getty]
Tag Archives: president obama
- Gloria Steinem and Oprah Winfrey both received the Presidential Medal of Freedom today from President Barack Obama at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. Ironically, Steinem was the first-ever woman to speak at the Club in 1971 and, at the time, was given the traditional gift of a men’s tie. [Ms Magazine, Marie Claire]
- The Supreme Court refused to block a restriction on Texas abortions. [New York Times]
- An Alabama woman has spoken out about the sentencing of her rapist, Austin Clem, who received no jail time despite being convicted of three rape charges, including raping her when she was only 13. [New York Times]
- The General Synod of the Church of England voted to allow women to be bishops. [Guardian UK] Keep reading »
Sure, Syria might have released chemical weapons on its own people this week. BUT I WANNA HEAR MORE ABOUT THE WHITE HOUSE’S NEW PUPPY GAAAAAAH! Here’s President Obama in an exclusive interview with CNN, talking about the new puppy Sunny (a Portuguese water dog like their four-year-old dog, Bo) and her accidents around the White House. Don’t worry, Hillary. They’ll be cleaned up by 2016. [Huffington Post]
“You have to be careful to, first of all, say she is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you’d want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake. She also happens to be by far the best-looking attorney general in the country — Kamala Harris is here. It’s true! C’mon … And she is a great friend and has just been a great supporter for many, many years. She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated.”
This is how President Barack Obama introduced California Attorney General Kamala Harris at a fundraiser in CA yesterday — high praise, to be sure, but the “best-looking” comment is a touch too far.
I have many feelings about this. One is that it was a stupid gaffe, but not surprising: Obama may be more of a feminist than any president in history, but he still lives in the same sexist society that the rest of us do. It’s a society where he once called a female reporter “sweetie” and where a woman’s appearance is seen as something men are entitled to comment publicly upon, even in a professional setting. Keep reading »
Missed the State Of The Union address last night? Well, here’s a guide of some major points for those of you who still want to know where we’re at. The economy continues to dominate President Obama’s agenda, given how the first 20 minutes were a mixture of economic policies from spending cuts to boosting the middle class. Though we’re no longer arguing about the Bush tax cuts, bailouts, or the debt ceiling, we have new talking points: sequester cuts, deficit reduction, tax codes. Oh my.
Sam Seaborn, fictional speechwriting dreamboat from “The West Wing,” would argue the SOTU speech is not solely about policy, it’s about noble over-reaching that government should aspire to. So what’s on President Obama’s agenda? Where are we heading in the next four years? Keep reading »
Attention party people, tonight is a pretty big night! No, I’m not talking about Mardi Gras. I’m referring to another excuse to drink on a Tuesday: President Obama’s first State Of The Union Address of his second term.
The annual address made by the President at the invitation of Congress not only produces some candid facial expressions (The Boehner Smirk, The Biden Grin, The Alito Head Shake), and spontaneous outbursts (“You lie!”), but it is also the President’s chance to explain how far we’ve come as a nation and where future policy is heading.
At the top of the list will probably be continued efforts to strengthen the economy, which according to NPR “remains the most important issue to voters, judging by what they tell pollsters.” Potential battles include “sequestration” and the deficit.
Here are six other slightly sexier issues the pundits are predicting: Keep reading »
- These two are just the cutest, aren’t they? Seriously, they are making me blush. I love the part where the president starts giggling. [YouTube]
- Also, the First Lady wore a red velvet Jason Wu gown. I don’t really like it. What do y’all think? [Socialite Life]
- The anti-abortion Inauguration Day tree-climber has been arrested after he was “convinced” to come down from his tree by a SWAT team. [Racked]
- Porn star James Deen talks his new reality show, songs from “The Little Mermaid,” and acting alongside Lindsay Lohan. [Nerve] Keep reading »
Trapped at the office on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and can’t watch the inauguration? Us, too. But here’s video of President Obama’s entire inaugural and the full-text of his speech so you can follow along. Keep reading »
2013 Inauguration, we’ve got your meme: Beyoncé performed “The National Anthem” wearing huuuuuge sparkly green earrings and swipes of cat eyes eyeliner. It’s no Aretha Franklin and her giant hat, but then again, what is?
Aww! The Obamas are SO CUTE together! During last night’s ABC News interview, Barbara Walters got all nosy and asked them, “How do you keep the fire going?” The look on President Obama’s face and his awkward laugh told Babs all she needed to know about that.