It might sound crazy what I’m about to say … but the video for Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” is a bit creepy without any music. Here are parts of the video with Pharrell and others singing the song without any musical backing, which sounds less like a cappella than you would expect. I’m fairly certain that this is how musical numbers on TV shows and movies are formed — actors sing the song live, but the real singing and musical accompaniment is added later — but I didn’t realize it could be done for music videos, too. How strange! [AV Club]
If you’ve been anywhere with a radio these past few months, you know Pharrell’s song “Happy” has started something of a movement. He sat down with Oprah Winfrey and watched a clip of how his song has touched people all over the world. He can’t help but cry some happy tears! Oprah tends to have that effect. “It’s overwhelming because I love what I do and I appreciate the fact that people have believed in me so long to the point [where I can] feel that,” he cries. Try not to tear up yourself when you watch! [The Grio]
“[The Tea Party are] all trying to learn how to do the Dougie. Please. While their daughters are all twerking. Trust me … Miley tells me all the time: All those little girls, all those girls with their Republican daddies, they’re twerkin’ somewhere listening to Jay Z and Beyoncé and doin’ the ‘Happy’ dance.”
Superstar producer Pharrell has an interesting interview in GQ in which he talks at length about racial issues in the United States, including facing accusations of colorism because of the women he put on the cover of his album, G I R L, and also his opinion on why Hillary Clinton will win the 2016 presidential election if she runs. It’s worth a full read, but I thought this part was especially funny: apparently Miley Cyrus and Pharrell have some giggles over the fact that the Tea Party might be a bunch of white racist d-bags, but somewhere up in their bedrooms, their daughters are twerking to beats made by Black folks. I never thought of it that way, but it’s true. [GQ] [Image via GQ]
Activities are wonderful, but sometimes, it’s fine to want to shut the world out for a couple of days, and make some serious time for you. Don’t be afraid of FOMO, either. There will always be another party, another pub crawl, another picnic. The time you’ll spend indulging in the things you want to do, alone, are well worth it. Here’s a handy list of awesome things to do this weekend!
Keep reading »
Usher sees your Smokey the Bear/Arby’s logo hat, Pharrell Williams, and raises you a DAVY CROCKETT FUR HAT. Ha! But, alas, as of this posting, Usher’s fur hat does not yet have its own Twitter account, so for now, Pharrell is still winning the Stupid Hat Game. But who knows who might throw their, heh, hat in the ring next … Justin Timberlake with a fireman’s helmet? Justin Bieber in an aviator cap? Stay tuned… [Photos: Fame/Flynet]
“You have to clean your face. You can’t sit around and assume it’s going to be OK. I wash my face every day — don’t be afraid to wash yours before you go to bed! … At the end of the day, you just have to take care of your face. I’m being honest with you.”
— This information from Pharrell Williams is absolutely critical, and do you know why? It is critical because that man, yes, the man pictured above, is FORTY YEARS OLD. Most dudes, in my experience, just don’t grasp the importance of washing one’s face, but Pharrell does, and it’s obviously paid off. Cleansing, toning, and moisturizing: it’s not just for the ladiez! [Into The Gloss]
Some pop stars like to be seen and heard. They rock a mic and their look. So, in honor of the men who make “pretty boy” sound so good, here are The Frisky’s Top Five Metrosexual Musicians:
5. Andre 3000 What’s cooler then being cool? Being Andre 3000, a gentleman so stylish he makes plaid golf gear look hip.
4. Marc Anthony The always dapper Anthony probably has a walk-in closet of clothing only rivaled by his wife’s. Even as a new dad, he’s constantly clad in a suit and you know J. Lo only lets him off his leash for spa days.
3. Mick Jagger More preened then even his supermodel arm candies, Mick Jagger is the grandfather of metrosexual. The rock ‘n’ roller is still wearing skin-tight stuff with sequins well into his swinging 60’s.
2. Pharrell Williams From head to rims, Pharrell is covered in all the right trims. He matches more than beats, Pharrell wears baggy hip-hop clothes with color-coded sophistication. He also knows how to rock a fur.
1. Justin Timberlake Started out in a coordinated boy band, but now he’s all that with his own clothing line. In his signature skinny ties with vests, JT’s ensembles are as smooth as his moves.
Keep reading »