- A shirtless Oscar Pistorius is on the cover of TIME magazine regarding the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. [Mirror UK]
- More uncomfortable PDA between Mary-Kate Olsen and her much-older boyfriend, Olivier Sarkozy. [Socialite Life]
- Oberlin College cancelled classes today after someone wearing a KKK robe was reportedly seen on campus. [Slate]
- Justin Bieber needs to put on a damn shirt, in Olivia Wilde’s opinion. [The Gloss]
- The four most baffling career-themed Barbie dolls. Arctic rescuer?!?! Barbie truly did do everything. [Cracked]
- James Franco news that we actually like: his documentary about “Saturday Night Live” might actually get a release. [Splitsider] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: oscar pistorius
After days of testimony from both the prosecution and defense, a South African magistrate has granted Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius — accused of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp — bail. In delivering his decision, the magistrate pointed out that there are many holes in Pistorius’s defense — Pistorius admits he shot Steenkamp, but says he thought she was a home intruder — but that the prosecution had failed to prove that Pistorius is a flight risk and that he is has a history of violent behavior. “I appreciate that a person is dead, but I do not necessarily think that is enough” to prove he is violent, the magistrate explained. More info on the decision at the links. [Feministing, BBC]
Police labeled Oscar Pistorius a flight risk as his bail hearing resumed in South Africa today, reports the AP. Prosecutors, who accuse the athlete of premeditated murder, told the court that a witness heard “nonstop talking, like fighting” from 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. on the night girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot, The New York Times reports. The morning’s main witness was the first officer to arrive on the scene, reports the BBC, and he told the court that “we have [the] statement of a person who said after he heard gunshots, he went to his balcony and saw the light was on. Then he heard a female screaming two-three times, then more gunshots.” Pistorius told the court yesterday he thought he was shooting a burglarwhen he fired through a bathroom door. Read more…
This morning, Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius faced his first bail hearing regarding the death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and disputed the premeditated murder charge against him. The higher charge caries the most intense bail requirements of South African law, according to The Atlantic.
Here’s an update on where the case is at… Keep reading »
- Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius sobbed in court today as prosecutors accused him of planning to murder his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, 30, whom he allegedly shot four times yesterday morning in his home. Former girlfriends and mothers of ex-girlfriends have been weighing in with the press, painting a disconcerting picture of Pistorius. [Sky News, NYmag.com Daily Intel]
- PETA is claiming that ABC won’t air a commercial starring Joaquin Phoenix simulating drowning (you know, like a fish on land) during the Oscars because it’s too controversial. [AdWeek]
- This Russian video of a meteorite landing is pretty badass! [ANIMAL]
Oscar Pistorious, 26, a Paralympian and Olympian and inspiration to athletes around the world, was arrested today — Valentine’s Day — and charged with murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp.
Police responded to a 3 a.m. call about gunshots in Pistorius’ upscale neighborhood of Silver Woods in Pretoria, South Africa, where Steenkamp, 30, was found dead with four bullet wounds. A police spokesperson told The New York Times that police had previously responded “allegations of a domestic nature” at Pistorius’ home. Police recovered a 9mm pistol from the scene.
After the jump, nine things to know about Reeva Steenkamp and Oscar Pistorius.
- 2012 Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius was charged with murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, today after she was found dead after being shot four times at his home in Pretoria, South Africa. [People, US Weekly]
- Hot ginge Ron Weasley, aka Rupert Grint, has been cast in a new TV show for CBS called “Super Clyde.” [Evil Beet Gossip]
- Conor Kennedy got arrested! Alas, it’s not for loving Taylor Swift too much — it was for protesting climate change with his dad Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Daryl Hannah. [Huffington Post]
- Alyson Hannigan from “How I Met Your Mother” has gotten a restraining order against a mentally unstable fan who is threatening to kill her. [TMZ] Keep reading »