Zergnet: Simply Irresistible
Tag Archives: osama bin laden
Remember that iconic photo of President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the White House Situation Room watching the raid in Pakistan which killed Osama bin Laden? (Top photo!) Well, a conservative Hasidic Jewish newspaper in Brooklyn for Hasids completely edited Hillary Clinton and the other woman in the Situation Room out of the photo. (See bottom photo!) They’re gone entirely! It’s a Situation Room full of dudes.
In Hasidic culture, unrelated men and women do not socialize with each other; in some communities, men and women don’t even work alongside each other. Some say Hillary Clinton and counterterrorism analyst Audrey Tomasen were Photoshopped out because the Hasids didn’t want to depict women in positions of authority or because the women mixing with men with whom they are not related is sexually suggestive. (Hillary’s pantsuits are so sexually suggestive.) The newspaper, Der Zeitung, has not commented on to why they erased the women from the pics. But who cares what their reason is? Erasing two women from a moment that will go down in the history books — that they experienced — is sexism, plain and simple.
- Sarah Palin weighed in on the Osama bin Laden death photo debate on Twitter — because we all care what the former governor of Alaska thinks about it!!! — to tell President Obama, “Show photo as warning to others seeking America’s destruction. No pussy-footing around, no politicking, no drama; it’s part of the mission.” Translation: This was probably the only way Sarah could use the word “pussy” in reference to Obama in a tweet and not get in trouble. [BuzzFeed]
- An Iowa bill that will ban most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy — which is when anti-abortion activists say a fetus can feel pain — was basically dead inside a state legislature committee, but a group of politicians used a loophole to send it to the Iowa Senate. The bill may be up for a vote as soon as next week. [Des Moines Register]
- Twenty years after she was raped at a college party, Liz Seccuro received an apology letter from her rapist. [Guardian UK]
- Watch Will Ferrell tell Conan O’Brien’s daughter to “kiss daddy’s beard goodbye.” [Team Coco]
- J.Crew included a gay couple — designer Somsack and his boyfriend, Micah — posing in pricey sweaters under the tagline “Happy Together” in their May catalog. Oh joy, something else for “family values” people to freak out about it. [Daily Mail UK]
- The MTV Movie Awards nominations are out! This sounded slightly prestigious until I saw Justin Bieber was nominated for his tour documentary, “Never Say Never.” [Pop Culture Brain]
So obviously, the big news of the week is that on Sunday night, Navy SEALS found and killed Osama bin Laden. And this may go down in history as the first major news event to unravel on Twitter. Not only did news of the kill leak out on the site a full hour before President Obama’s 11:30 p.m. address to the nation, but the event also set a record for the most tweets. From 10:45 p.m. to 2:20 a.m. on Sunday, there was an average of 3,000 tweets per second, which is apparently abbreviated “TPS” and immediately makes me think of “Office Space.” That peaked at 11 p.m. when there was an astonishing 5,106 TPS. Keep reading »