- A New Orleans cab driver would much prefer that you focus on the fact he returned a man’s lost wallet and didn’t accept the reward and not that he covered the in-cab surveillance camera and allegedly raped a woman sleeping in the back of his taxi. [Jezebel]
- Surprise! White men make up the majority of evening cable news hosts. [Media Matters For America]
- California’s state Assembly has advanced a bill that will protect trans students who use bathrooms based on their gender identity, not their physical sex. [Los Angeles Times]
- What are Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg’s thoughts on the Supreme Court’s Roe vs. Wade decision that effectively legalized abortion in America? [Politico] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: new orleans
- Be still, my heart! Channing Tatum purchased a “brothel-style pub” in New Orleans called Saints and Sinners, which he is doin’ up “Magic Mike”-style with an all-male revue. Frisky field trip, anyone? Amelia is already booking her flight. [In Touch]
- Robert Pattinson is not, in fact, hiding out at Reese Witherspoon’s house. I would like to think he’s been laying in bed next to Kristen Stewart this entire time, reading Perez Hilton headlines and cracking up. [Celebrity Gossip]
- Looove this: 15 ways to flip the bird! [Modern Man]
- H&M’s home decor line is coming to the U.S. in early 2013! [Racked] Keep reading »
Nicolas Cage was arrested for domestic abuse in New Orleans when he allegedly shoved his wife on the street early this morning. A “very drunk” Cage was reportedly arguing with his wife, Alice, on the street when a cab driver witnessed him grab his wife by the arm and try to drag her. (TMZ claims the couple was arguing about the address of the apartment they are renting.) When cops arrived, they saw Cage hitting parked cars and trying to get inside a taxi cab to leave, before being ordered to get out. The cops apparently told the couple to just go home but Cage reportedly taunted them twice, daring them to arrest him. Cops called his bluff and arrested him on domestic abuse and disturbing the peace. Bail was set at $11,000 and he was released around noon Saturday. The actor is in New Orleans filming a movie called “Medallion.”
It would be easy to hate Bryan Batt.
He breathes the same air as Jon Hamm, playing the closeted gay art director Salvatore Romano on “Mad Men.” He counts Christina Hendricks and Jane Krakowski from “30 Rock” among his besties. And you wouldn’t know it from “Mad Men,” but this Louisiana native has the dreamiest thick Southern accent.
But how could you hate someone who is just so darn nice? Bryan profusely apologized for playing phone tag with me because he was busy taking care of his elderly mom (aww!) and then generously chatted from the back room of the home furnishings store, Hazelnut, he owns in uptown New Orleans with his partner of 20+ years, Tom Cianichi. Can you say “down-to-earth”?
After the jump, find out if Bryan thinks Sal will ever return to “Mad Men,” what it was like playing Lumiere the candlestick on Broadway’s “Beauty & The Beast,” and how he felt seeing Jon Hamm’s handsome mug for the first time. (Answer: amazing.) Keep reading »
Since Hurricane Katrina, Brad Pitt‘s “Make it Right” foundation has helped so many New Orleans residents that folks are calling for him to run for mayor. Pitt says he doesn’t have a chance, explaining he’s running on the “gay marriage, no religion, legalization and taxation of marijuana platform.” Besides, politics isn’t his strong suit: “It’s not what I do best.” Looking good in a suit is. After the jump, actors-turned-politicians whose careers could give him some guidance in getting elected. Keep reading »
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has called it the storm of the century. After the wreckage left in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, we here at The Frisky join the rest of the country in letting the citizens of New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast know that we’re thinking of you. [CNN.com] Keep reading »
A new saying is showing up all over New Orleans these days – Soul is waterproof. After 10 minutes in this unique city, you’ll see just how true that is. What keeps the city going post-Hurricane Katrina are its strong roots in family, food and music, as well as the undying belief in another famous New Orleans saying: Laissez les bon temps rouler! Let the good times roll! The one thing you should know about New Orleans is this – nobody is going to let you rest until you’re over fed, a little bit tipsy and dancing down the street in the French Quarter. So, grab your dancing shoes, your fat jeans and your sense of humor and head on down to N’awlins baby. Keep reading »
Yesterday we had a post about a vagina shaped couch. Today we discovered that New Orleans will be the site of a special 10th Anniversary performance of The Vagina Monologues because, says playwright Eve Ensler, “we should celebrate New Orleans, cherish it, protect it, just as we do our vaginas, and make sure it goes on and on.” Awesome. For those two days (April 11-12), the city will become “The Vagina Capital of the World”, as the Louisiana Superdome gets decked out “with a big vagina entrance.” The Vagina Superdome will be the setting for performance events, parties, parades, workshops, wellness and education programs, speakers, and even spa treatments, which will be free to residents of New Orleans and the Gulf South. Okay, we think all of this is pretty cool, and we get that the hurricane-ravaged city needs some TLC, but we agree with Feministing when they say that all this excessive vagina talk is making the word a lil’ hokey. Whatever, we’d still totally go. [VDay.org via Feministing] Keep reading »