- A Nevada judge has ruled that a fetal personhood ballot initiative, which seeks to criminalize abortion by declaring a fertilized egg a “person,” is misleading and fails to explain its effects to voters. The judge ruled that the ballot initiative needs to make clear that the fetal personhood initiative would criminalize birth control and in vitro fertilization, as well. [Feminist.org]
- The Lowell Sun newspaper in Lowell, Massachusetts, mocked Chaz Bono’s transgender transformation by printing lyrics to a song that’s supposed to be sung to the tune of “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.” Very classy, folks. [Hufffington Post]
- Could male rappers pass a version of the so-called “the Bechdel test” in which he has a conversation with a woman that’s not about himself or a business transaction? [Slate] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: nevada
- The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit in Nevada Supreme Court on Friday to challenge a ballot initiative seeking to ban abortions by calling a fetus a “person.” The initiative would change the Nevada Constitution by adding this: “In the great state of Nevada, the term ‘person’ applies to every human being.” The ACLU has alleged that the wording is so vague, it may not be clear to voters that the initiative is actually intended to criminalize abortion. [Nevada Sun]
- According to a new poll by The Washington Post, 55 percent of Americans view Sarah Palin unfavorably, compared with 37 percent who view her favorably. [The Washington Post]
- Two female suicide bombers are being blamed in the terrorist attack on Russia’s subway system this morning. Police suspect the women might have been “black widows” from a group of Chechen rebels. [CNN]
The state of Nevada proved that they don’t discriminate. Officials have rubber stamped the Shady Lady Ranch, the first all-male bordello for female customers about 150 miles outside of Las Vegas. Yee-haw, cowgirls! But officials weren’t exactly kicking up their heels about the stud farm. Why? They’re concerned about the health risks for the young bucks … Keep reading »
In Nevada, land of legal prostitution, there are currently 25 legal sex houses—and all of them are staffed by women to serve men. But what happens in Vegas, may now be happening for the ladies! According to a report from the Nevada Brothel Association, a number of their fine establishments are looking to add some studs to their employee rosters. If there was ever a reason for feminism, it’s got to be this chance to even the score. Why should men get to be the only ones who can buy themselves some sexy time? Keep reading »
Sex sells, and a virgin will cost you a million bucks. While some of us waited for that sensitive teenage boy to deflower us to the Dave Matthews Band (or, rather, the first 30 seconds of “Crash”), a few more entrepreneurial ladies won’t pop their cherry for less than seven figures.
Natalie Dylan, who recently received her bachelor’s degree in Women’s Studies from Sacramento State, went on Howard Stern earlier this month to sell her virginity for a cool mil to pay off her tuition bills. Um, last time we checked, state schools weren’t that out of reach, but we can’t blame the girl for upping her ante. Since Dylan’s sister is one of the working girls at Nevada’s most infamous brothel, and subject of HBO show Cathouse, she worked out a deal with proprietor, Dennis Hof, and her hymen is up for bidding at BunnyRanch.com. But Natalie is picking who will pluck her and all interested parties must first pass her interview process. In addition to deep pockets, the gent must have chemistry with the young businesswoman. “We’ll take bids until I find a suitor I’m happy with,” Natalie concedes. [NY Daily News]
After last week’s post about proposed legislation in San Francisco that would decriminalize prostitution and our poll that indicated that 73% of you not only supported decriminalization but legalization as well, we decided to take a more in-depth look at both. After the jump, we break down the differences and the pros and cons of both. There may be a soap box moment from yours truly as well.
Being a single gal is fun and can even allow you to get a little extra freaky! But sometimes the pendulum swings the other way — not knowing where your next piece of ass will come from can leave you in a sad dry spell, and even the professionals aren’t immune. Heidi Fleiss, the infamous Hollywood madam, had it all. And by “it” we mean every A-list actor in LA. Not only did she score the top booty, they paid her well to do it too! At the height of her career she had Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson, Charlie Sheen, and a Porsche. In 1997, she was thrown into an unsexy pair of handcuffs, put in jail, and left penniless for her escort service. Now, at 42, the former working girl has opened her own shop in podunk Pahrump, NV. Strangely enough, even though prostitution is legal in Nevada, she’s not putting the rump in Pahrump. Instead of a ring of call girls, she’s in charge of the spin cycles at her little launderette cleverly called “Dirty Laundry.” She’s cleaning clothes and cleaning up her act while living in a mobile home with 20 parrots she saved from a closing pet store. “I love those birds more than I’ve ever loved any man,” Heidi said in a recent interview. “It’s been two years since I had sex and I don’t care if I ever do it again.” Sigh, we’ve all been through a sexless rough patch and it’s hard to pull yourself out — even if you’re the Madam Fleiss (and especially if you’re a crazy bird lady). But, Heidi, you just have to get back up on the man-horse and ride! Everyone in America knows you can do it. [NOTW]