A few years ago, I had to swear off dating musicians. I’d been dating them since high school, both casual guitar-noodlers and career musicians who had songs on CW shows and their faces on T-shirts. Again and again I’d fall for the sensitive guitar player who wears eyeliner … and again and again the same patterns would repeat themselves that led to us breaking up. I have nothing but the nicest things to say about most of them as people. Don’t take my swearing-off musicians as a warning, per se. On the contrary, my loss is your gain — the more for you! Just make sure you know these 12 details first. Keep reading »
Tag Archives: musicians
I got my boyfriend a banjo for Christmas, partly because he really wanted one, and mostly because I think there’s nothing sexier than a man playing the banjo. If you share my love for banjo players, you’ll probably want to keep on clicking to see 16 gorgeous guys (both famous and non-famous) picking on their 5-strings…
Long before they were cool musicians, most of these celebs were dorky kids just like you and me — and we’ve got the proof. This selection of junior high and high school photos from some of the world’s top musicians confirms that even the most jaded rockstar was probably kind of a dweeb when they were younger. Which begs the question: Can you match the nerdy class pic with the famous face?
As has been noted countless time in the past 48 hours, Amy Winehouse is not the first talented musician to die tragically at the age of 27. There’s even a name for this subset—The 27 Club or Forever 27—and some of its members include Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and Brian Jones. So, are all the deaths just a coincidence or is there some explanation for this eerie phenomenon? After the jump, five theories about the 27 Club. Keep reading »
AskMen.com revealed its list of the Top 99 Most Desirable Women of 2009 today. Readers were asked to vote not just on sex appeal and beauty, but also on humor, ambition and intelligence. Kate Winslet is ranked 99. Beyonce is No. 50. And Eva Mendes is numero uno. We’ve decided to build our own list of desirable men based on readers’ votes. So let your voice be heard! Each day we’ll give you a few guys under specific categories and then compile a Top Ten based on your votes…so, which of these talented dudes would you like to make music with? [Photos: Splash News] Keep reading »
Dudes in bands: They’re creative, laid back, they’re hot, they have great music collections, they’re sensitive, and very often, they’re funny without being as damaged as comedians. What’s not to like? Let’s discuss.
There was the Luke Skywalker look-alike who drummed for so many bands I couldn’t keep track of them all. (Although, as a drummer, does he really count as a musician? Wocka wocka!) Practices and shows took priority over time with me, so I was competing with an unknown amount of other rock dudes probably numbering somewhere in the dozens, and decidedly losing that competition. The drummer boy flaked out on me. He reappeared to apologize profusely for his disappearing act, we had a great discussion over dinner about us, and how we were going to start over and do it right this time because both of us really understood where the other one was at. Then he promptly flaked again. He’s now married to another musician who, it turns out, has also flaked on me.
Keep reading »
Some pop stars like to be seen and heard. They rock a mic and their look. So, in honor of the men who make “pretty boy” sound so good, here are The Frisky’s Top Five Metrosexual Musicians:
5. Andre 3000 What’s cooler then being cool? Being Andre 3000, a gentleman so stylish he makes plaid golf gear look hip.
4. Marc Anthony The always dapper Anthony probably has a walk-in closet of clothing only rivaled by his wife’s. Even as a new dad, he’s constantly clad in a suit and you know J. Lo only lets him off his leash for spa days.
3. Mick Jagger More preened then even his supermodel arm candies, Mick Jagger is the grandfather of metrosexual. The rock ‘n’ roller is still wearing skin-tight stuff with sequins well into his swinging 60’s.
2. Pharrell Williams From head to rims, Pharrell is covered in all the right trims. He matches more than beats, Pharrell wears baggy hip-hop clothes with color-coded sophistication. He also knows how to rock a fur.
1. Justin Timberlake Started out in a coordinated boy band, but now he’s all that with his own clothing line. In his signature skinny ties with vests, JT’s ensembles are as smooth as his moves.