Someone get Tyra Banks on the phone! There’s a hot “new” trend in posing ridiculously for photos called “squinching,” but I’m pretty sure Tyra’s go-to “Top Model” tip — SMIZE! — has just been stolen and rebranded under a different name. According to the Daily Mail, which shouts out Tyra’s smize in its intro, photographer Peter Hurley “claims the squinch is the act of squinting your eyes in such a way as to ooze confidence and self-assuredness.” Squinching is more subtle than squinting; when you squint, your eyes appear too closed, but, explains the Daily Mail, ”when you ‘squinch,’ however, you’re lifting and tightening the lower eyelid and only allowing the top eyelid to come down slightly.” Keep reading »
Tag Archives: modeling
- Candice Swanepoel modeled a $10 million Fantasy Bra at last night’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Dare I say it was kind of fugs? Also, who wears lingerie with long, white gloves? [Vanity Fair]
- Alec Baldwin’s accused stalker Genevieve Sabourin was held in contempt of court yesterday for shouting and causing a scene during the testimony. The French-Canadian actress has claimed she held Baldwin had an intimate relationship and that he spurned her. The “30 Rock” star said he only met her for professional reasons but she got the wrong idea and has called and emailed him hundreds of times a day and showed up unannounced at his homes. [ABC News]
- Legendary performance artist Andy Kaufman might be alive?! That’s what a woman claiming to be his daughter says. [ONTD] Keep reading »
Fashion as an industry is rarely lauded for its acts of inclusion, be it based on race, weight, or perceived physical flaws. But one thing it seems they’ll make an exception for is strabismus, better known as crossed eyes, at least in the case of “accidental model” Moffy. Keep reading »
Do you ever sit around and wonder, Hmm, what’s Tyson Beckford up to? Me neither. But after I was reminded that he — not Michael Fassbender, not Clive Owen — is the most attractive man in the world after seeing these photos from OOB magazine in France, I may ask myself this more often. Here is Tyson posing with transgender model, Ines Rau, who, according to ColorLines, is a 24-year-old French model of North African descent. And, um, a stone-cold fox.
After the jump, check out the NSFW version of Ines and Tyson’s hawt photoshoot:
I wouldn’t be amiss in suggesting that Twiggy is the most iconic supermodel of all time. Before Kate, before Naomi, before Cindy, before Iman, there was Twiggy, the O.G. clothes hanger. We have her to thank for the “swinging sixties” aesthetic of long, coltish legs, wide, heavily lashed eyes, and teeny mod minidresses. Unlike most contemporary models, whose careers are all but fleeting (do they expire at 22?), Twiggy’s continuous influence has pervaded over the past four decades. And now, at 64, the better-than-ever Lesley Lawson is featured as the model for her own Twiggy for Marks & Spencer collection. The line for the British retailer is all about leather, both real and faux, and while we can’t attest to how well the pieces hold up in real life, we can say that they sure look good on Twiggy. [Huffington Post]
You might recognize Elliott Sailors from her days of modeling bikinis and evening gowns. At age 31, practically ancient in the world of fashion, Sailors’ gigs started to become more few and far between. So, she made a bold decision to save her career: to start modeling as a man. Sailors’ buzzed off her long, blonde hair and started showing up to castings with her breasts bound, wearing flannel shirts, ripped jeans, boots and biker jackets. And, as you might guess from this photo, it worked. Keep reading »
- Leonardo DiCaprio’s penis has moved on to Kat Torres, a 24-year-old beauty pageant queen and Brazilian model. Another one to add to the collection! [ONTD]
- Hallelujah! Tina Fey and Amy Poehler have signed on host the Golden Globes through 2015, so that’s one award show that won’t suck ass for the next few years. [Entertainment Weekly]
- Christina Applegate’s husband Martyn LeNoble roughed up paparazzi who were snapping pics of his wife and the couple’s two-year-old daughter. [New York Daily News]
- Ivanka Trump has given birth to her second child, a baby boy, with newspaper publisher Jared Kushner. Mazel tov! [People]
- Dumb theory: Charlie Hunnam backed out of “50 Shades Of Grey” because he felt insecure about his manhood. [TMZ]
- So sad: a rare tiger cub drowned at a London zoo just three weeks after being born. [Washington Post] Keep reading »
I’m dying to know whether it was a student or a parent who discovered Dallas high school Spanish teacher Cristy Nicole Deweese had also posed nude for Playboy and Playboy.com. Because reporting that to the authorities was probably an awkward conversation.
Deweese, 21, posed naked three years ago as a “Coed Of The Month” for Playboy as well as on Playboy.com as a cybergirl.” Today she teaches Spanish at Townview Magnet High School in Dallas, Texas.
I don’t think it should matter whether teachers have worked as strippers or escorts, posed topless or appeared in porn in the past. If my hypothetical kid’s teacher is a gifted and hard-working educator, that is what’s important to me. As long as teachers conduct themselves professionally and keep their past careers out of the classroom, it should be a nonissue. Keep reading »
Karrie Brown, the Wet Seal model with Down syndrome, was featured as our Kickass Woman of the Day a couple weeks ago. Now it’s time to make room for another kickass woman: Karrie’s mom. Sue Brown of Illinois penned an article on the experience for xoJane, in which she details not only how her 17-year-old daughter’s modeling opportunity came about, but most importantly, and most poignantly, how she raised Karrie to know that one must never place limits on themselves. Upon receiving the prenatal diagnosis that her baby had Down syndrome, Sue’s own mother told her, “Your baby might have a disability, but she will only be disabled if you make her that way.” What follows is one of the most inspirational stories we’ve ever seen, made all the better by Sue’s, and Karrie’s, phenomenal attitude. [via xoJane]
Watch your back, ladies and gents of “America’s Next Top Model.” Teen clothing retailer Wet Seal recently shot a photoshoot with 17-year-old model Karrie Brown that is getting a lot of eyeballs. How come? Karrie isn’t just any high school junior who loves modeling — she also has Down Syndrome.
The “Today” show blog spoke with Karrie’s mother Sue Brown, who explained she photographed her daughter modeling a favorite outfit from Wet Seal and posted it on Facebook. Folks started tweeting at Wet Seal, asking if Karrie could model their clothes professionally. To everyone’s surprise, the company actually responded! Wet Seal reached out to Sue and promised if her Facebook page got 10,000 likes, they would have a special surprise for Karrie. Keep reading »