- Andy Cohen has a heart in there after all! The Bravo bigwig and “Watch What Happens Live!” star turned down an offer to host the 2013 Miss Universe pageant in Moscow due to Russia’s criminalization of homosexuality. Applause. [Eonline]
- Lisa Robin Kelly, the actress who played the Lori Foreman (Eric’s sister) on “That 70′s Show,” died last night at a rehab facility in California. Kelly had checked herself into rehab earlier this week. She was 43. [TMZ]
- Nooo! Laura Prepon is leaving “Orange Is The New Black” and taking those amazing eyebrows with her. [US Weekly]
- Prince William left his job as a search and rescue pilot to focus on his newborn. How lucky he is to have that option. [Daily Mail UK]
- Miss Teen USA Cassidy Wolf, 19, has been targeted in a “sextortion” case by someone claiming to have nude webcam photos of her. [People] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: miss universe
Women have come a long way since the inequality of the 1920s. So, why on earth are beauty pageants still so popular?
Over 5.50 million viewers tuned into Miss Universe Wednesday night. And while the competition claims to be much more than beauty pagent, an event that originated 92 years ago, we all know that’s what it is and what it enforces.
There was a moment during last night’s Miss Universe pageant when the lead singer of Train warbled something awful about being on a private island that only Johnny Depp knows about, while the 10 Miss Universe finalists tried to whirl around him in their ballgowns, and I thought: This is what the Mayans were talking about. And yet! The Donald Trump-sponsored beauty pageant continues on, offering viewers a multi-layered competition involving ballgowns, swimsuits and intense judging panel questions about wearing swimsuits. Also, Giuliana Rancic and Andy Cohen hosted, so it was pretty much the gayest thing ever.
Yesterday, Sheena Monnin, Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012, resigned from the Miss USA pageant system, claiming she discovered documents that proved that the Miss USA contest — which aired on June 3 — was actually rigged! Quelle horror! According to Monnin, she quit after a fellow contestant spotted a list that announced the top five contestants before the show actually happened. In a post on her Facebook wall, she relayed the story:
I witnessed another contestant who said she saw the list of the Top 5 BEFORE THE SHOW EVER STARTED proceed to call out in order who the Top 5 were before they were announced on stage. Apparently the morning of June 3rd she saw a folder lying open to a page that said ‘FINAL SHOW Telecast, June 3, 2012′ and she saw the places for Top 5 already filled in. Thinking she was just seeing a rehearsal fake top 5 from a previous day she walked away, then realized that it had without a doubt been labeled as the Final Show Telecast, June 3rd. After the Top 16 were called and we were standing backstage she hesitantly said to me and another contestant that she knew who the Top 5 were. I said ‘who do you think they will be?’ She said that she didn’t ‘think’ she ‘knew’ because she saw the list that morning. She relayed whose names were on the list. Then we agreed to wait and see if that was indeed the Top 5 called that night. After it was indeed the Top 5 I knew the show must be rigged. Keep reading »
- When pressed about transgender beauty queen Jenna Talackova, who was first disqualified from Miss Universe and then re-qualified following an uproar, pageant co-owner Donald Trump bragged that Jenna’s lawyer Gloria Allred would be “very impressed” with his anatomy, if he were forced to prove his gender. EW. [New York Daily News]
- Shaima Alawadi, a 32-year-old Iraqi-American, was murdered last month in an attack that police, and the country at large, thought was an anti-Muslim hate crime. But new documents obtained suggest family violence — of some sort — in the California woman’s death. Alawadi was supposedly planning to divorce her husband and move out of state when she was killed. Her 17-year-old daughter was also “distraught” over a forced, arranged marriage to a cousin. Police haven’t implicated anyone in particular in the murder, but are supposedly less certain the death was a simple hate crime. [UTS San Diego]
- Etsy.com and Hacker School have announced 10 grants of $5,000 each to women in technology who’d like to attend the 2012 summer session of Hacker School in Brooklyn, New York. [Etsy.com] Keep reading »
Is Donald Trump auditioning for a new girlfriend? Or just being an asshat? You never can tell with that one. Last night on “Celebrity Apprentice,” the Donald asked some tough questions of Miss Universe Dayana Mendoza, like whether she had “boyfriends,” and whether the boyfriend she’s got is “rich” and owns an airplane. Watch the clip after the jump. Keep reading »
The results are in — and Miss Mexico is the new Miss Universe. Jimena Navarrete, 22, from Guadalajara, wowed judges with her big smile, friendly demeanor and thoughtful answer to the question posed by judge Evan Lysacek about unsupervised internet use for children. “I do believe that internet is an indispensable, necessary tool for the present time,” she said. “We must be sure to teach them the values that we learned as a family.” Keep reading »
Conveniently just in time for the live webcast of the Miss USA pageant tomorrow night, there’s a BIG CONTROVERSY stirring up lots of press for the event. (And since I know it’s hard to keep your pageants straight, this is not Miss America. This is the pageant that brought us Carrie Prejean, the one which Donald Trump owns, which sends its winner to Miss Universe, and which was featured in that MTV reality series “Pageant Place.”) A few days ago, Miss USA unveiled its promo photos, showing the contestants in racy lingerie, posing on beds in all sorts of suggestive ways. Apparently, some of the women were not OK with the shoot. Because everyone loves a good beauty pageant scandal, right? Keep reading »
It’s no secret that I have a rather low threshold for Rich Kids, especially Celebrity Rich Kids, who don’t get their elbows particularly dirty building up their resumes like the rest of us. A few months ago, I wrote a post grousing about how Ivanka Trump wrote a business advice book called The Trump Card; I found this super-obnoxious considering her life couldn’t be more different than those of the regular folks reading her book. Ivanka even admitted on “The View” that Anna Wintour offered her a job at Vogue upon graduation.
Last night Ivanka appeared with her dad, Donald, on “Celebrity Apprentice.” And I had the realization that I’d be eminently less annoyed with Ivanka if she undid some of her father’s damage. I’d like her to start with the Miss Universe, Miss USA and Miss Teen USA competitions. Keep reading »
Another day, another beauty pageant sex scandal. And no, this post amazingly has nothing to do with Carrie Prejean, who evidently has eight sex tapes, or Kari Ann Peniche, of Eric Dane/Rebecca Gayheart fame. (Is it just a coincidence that they have the same name spelled differently?) This time around it’s Anya Ayoung-Chee, Miss Trinidad/Tobago 2008, who’s been caught on camera in four separate clips. Two of the vids show her getting down and dirty with her boyfriend, Wyatt Gallery. A third and fourth clip show her in a threesome with an unidentified woman. At first, people thought the third was Hiroko Mima, Miss Japan 2008, but Gallery spoke up to say that wasn’t her. The video was shot back in 2007—a big year for beauty queen sex tapes, evidently—and supposedly was swiped from Gallery’s computer when he brought it in to be repaired. “I feel horrible and embarrassed for Anya, her family and myself,” he’s said. When will the tiara set learn not to record their hanky-panky? [NY Daily News] Keep reading »