- Ten members of the Taliban responsible for shooting Pakistani girls’ education advocate Malala Yousafzai in the head in a 2012 attack have been arrested, according to the Pakistan army. [Huffington Post]
- A doctor who performed abortions in southern Texas explains why recent restrictions on reproductive rights will be devastating for low-income, rural women. [NPR]
- My friend created an incredible package for The Huffington Post profiling six female survivors of domestic violence, each who exemplifies why it’s so hard for someone to leave an abuser. Meet these women and see how shame, money, fear, love, family, and isolation affected each. [The Huffington Post]
- CBS pulled a Rihanna performance from an intro to Thursday Night Football last night, all because she’s an inconvenient reminder of domestic violence. [Huffington Post] Keep reading »
“I was not worried about myself that much. I was worried about my father. Because we thought that the Taliban are not that much cruel, that they would kill a child, because I was 14 at that time.
But then later on… I started thinking about that. And I used to think that the Talib would come, and that he would just kill me. But then I said, ‘If he comes, then what would you do, Malala?’ Then I would reply to myself, ‘Malala, just take a shoe and hit him.’ (Laughs.)
But then I said, ‘If you hit a Talib with your shoe, then there will be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others that much with cruelty, and that much harshly. You must fight others, but through peace, and through dialogue, and through education.’ Then I said ‘I’ll tell him how important education is. And that I would want education for your children as well.’ And I’ll tell him ‘That’s what I want to tell you. Now do what you want.”
– Malala Yousafzai, asked by Jon Stewart what gave her the courage to speak out against the Taliban — who attacked the then-14-year-old girl for advocating on behalf of girls’ education – on “The Daily Show.” See a clip above and the whole inspiring interview at the link. [The Daily Show]