Lily Allen is back with a new song, a questionable music video, and her signature funky/feminine style. I’m pretty in love with this dusty pink coat, and pairing it with leopard print pumps is a fun, Lily-esque choice that totally works. Want to steal her look for yourself? Get all the pieces (for around $100 or less!) after the jump… Keep reading »
Tag Archives: lily allen
This week, Lily Allen debuted the video for her new song “Hard Out Here,” to extremely mixed reactions. Some, like our own Rachel, saw her song about pop music’s policing of women’s bodies and double standards about sexuality as a “feminist anthem.” Others are deeply offended by her use of mostly women of color backup dancers, arguing that satire is not an excuse for using their bodies in disrespectful ways. Keep reading »
Fiiiiinally! After a three-year hiatus, Lily Allen is back with a long overdue new single and music video … and it’s a FEMINIST ANTHEM, no less. “Hard Out Here” is awesome and fun and catchy in true Lily fashion, but the song itself serves to stand as commentary against celebrity culture and beyond, with none-too-subtle lyrics (“we’ve got a glass ceiling to break”) and a tongue-in-cheek look at female objectification and product placement. “Forget your balls and grow a pair of tits,” she sings. Welcome back, Lils! How I missed you, you beautiful, beautiful human. The goddess walks among us once again!
I’ve always been shocked by the statistic that 93 percent of American women take their husband’s last name. But there’s one group that’s overly represented in the seven percent who don’t—celebrities. It makes sense because, once you get to the point where you’re famous, your name is a brand. It’s the way people have, and most likely will continue to, see you. Changing it is just confusing. After all, what would we make of Reese Toth? Or Drew Kopelman?
That’s why it comes as sort of surprise that Lily Allen, who has released two albums that went Gold in the U.S. and triple platinum in the UK, has not only legally changed her name following her marriage to Sam Cooper, but professionally as well. Should she ever release a third record (please, Lily, won’t you?), it’ll be under the name Lily Rose Cooper. When your name is integral to your brand as an entertainer, a move like this mid-career seems risky to me. I mean, I really don’t think I’ll be changing my professional name to Amelia Gosling, you know? [Rolling Stone]
Anyway, keep clicking for other stars who changed their names post-marriage.
- Lily Allen is pregnant with her second child with husband Sam Cooper! The couple’s firstborn, Ethel Mary Cooper, is almost eight months old. Mazel tov! [PopCrush]
- Kourtney Kardashian gave birth over the weekend to a daughter named Penelope Scotland Disick. Sienna Miller also gave birth to her little one. Congratulations, mamas! [Betty Confidential, Celebrity Cafe]
- “Bridesmaids” and “The Office” star Ellie Kemper married this weekend in New York, with pals Kristen Wiig and Mindy Kaling in attendance. [Stupid Celebrities]
- Usher’s ex-stepson Kyle Glover, 11, is brain dead after a jet ski accident in Lake Lanier, Georgia. Kyle is the son of Tameka Foster, Usher’s ex-wife. [PopCrush]
- Sex tips from girls who get paid for it: prostitutes at the Bunny Ranch tell all. [iVillage] Keep reading »
“I’ve had nights out with Amy and know exactly what used to go on. It’s so easy to get caught up in that madness. I’ve been strong enough to walk away. When Amy died, I got several texts from friends saying they were really glad I was still here, that I hadn’t died too.”
—Lily Allen remembers her friend and fellow British pop star Amy Winehouse. Lily has alluded to her past struggles with drugs and alcohol in other interviews, like when she recalled how she wouldn’t eat but would drink four glasses of wine before four o’clock in the afternoon. One the one hand, I’m grateful Lily is still here because it proves that substance abusers can overcome their demons. But on the other hand, I think it can come off as distasteful when someone dies and a person mentions how her friends are glad it wasn’t her. Maybe this is just a hot-button topic that it’s difficult to sound sensitive about, though. [The Sun UK] Keep reading »
“I wasn’t eating … [I was] going out at night. I guess when you’re not eating you have to distract yourself with other things. Come three o’clock it was like, ‘Oh I suppose it’s acceptable to have a glass of wine.’ And then by four o’clock I would have had four glasses. It’s not the way to be. But then I met Sam and he noticed that behavior. I think it came to a point for him where he was thinking, ‘Can I be with this girl if this is what her life is like? I want to make this work, but I can’t live in this world.’ I just needed someone to tell me … I hang out with models, the biggest pop stars and, you know, really and honestly, I hate saying this, but none of them are achieving those body shapes by being healthy. They’re not just going to the gym two hours a day. They’re not eating or they’re taking speed not to eat. In America everyone abuses that Adderall stuff and people aren’t normal.’”
—Lily Allen talks about getting healthy in Elle UK. While I appreciate Lily’s candor and her embracing of a new lifestyle, I think she’s going to get lambasted for this interview. It reeks of self-righteousness. I’m sure someone in the modeling/music industry will make some counter-statement about how they don’t use drugs or starve themselves to stay thin. Also, American celebrities aren’t normal and all abuse Adderall? Really? What? Is she trying really hard to be controversial or is it a case of not thinking before she speaks? [Celebitchy] Keep reading »
Lily Allen and her sister Sarah Owen have collaborated on Lucy in Disguise, a modern take on retro style clothing. As owners of a vintage store of the same name, the sisters definitely know about fashions from decades past. But their Haight & Ashbury Dress confuses us because we don’t know anyone who wants to spend $240 to dress like an ethereal wench. We suspect that folks who enjoy Renaissance faires shell out that much money and more for their costumes, but at least those are appropriate for the period. The Haight & Ashbury Dress isn’t even appropriate for the rest of the collection, which also features leopard-print and bandana fabrics. Keep reading »
- The John Edwards mug shot is here! The naughty ex-senator was booked on June 6 over charges he used campaign funds to keep his mistress, Rielle Hunter, under wraps. This all happened after a grand jury indicted Edwards on six counts, including conspiracy, issuing false statements and violating campaign contribution laws. Johnny swears he’s not guilty. I am not sure I believe him. [CNN via Gawker]
- Joss Stone was almost kidnapped, y’all. Scary stuff. [The Superficial]
- Jennifer Lopez wants a raise on her $12 million one-year contract before she’ll agree to return to “American Idol.” I totally feel her on that one. I have been trying to negotiate a similar raise with Amelia. [Celebitchy]
- And the designer of Kristen Stewart’s “Breaking Dawn” wedding dress is … [Celebuzz]