Bad news for those who believe homosexual parents can negatively affect their children: a study of 17-year-olds who were raised by lesbian mothers found that they did well in school, with grades ranging from A- to B+, and were overall happier with their lives.
Tag Archives: lesbian
- Lesbians are great parents whose children are happy with life and academically successful, according to the findings of a study conducted by the Williams Institute. [Queerty]
- A cultural history of mansplaining. [The Atlantic]
- A Wisconsin politician said he had to become a lobbyist because “my wife loves to shop.” You know, women be shopping. [The Broad Side]
- Bill O’Reilly’s show found a bunch of random women on NYC streets dressed in sexy Halloween costumes to talk about who they’re voting for in this weird ‘on the street’ segment. [Slate] Keep reading »
“I learned a lot about myself in a way — not really about my sexuality but in the way I picture gender and the world. I think that dating and meeting Freddy and meeting trans people, more than anything I think that was more pivotal for me because I never understood why I wasn’t attracted to girls that dressed like I did. For a long time I thought in order to be gay, I had to have really short hair.”
– Gossip singer Beth Ditto, on how dating a transgender man challenged and opened up her own identity as a femme lesbian. Beth writes all about it in her new memoir Coal Into Diamonds, which we can’t wait to read!
- A Hong Kong real estate bigwig named Cecil Chao Sze-tsung is offering $65 million to any man who can “seduce” his lesbian daughter, Gigi Chao, and “turn her straight.” I put those words in quotes because they will not actually happen. Because she is a lesbian. Daughter Gigi (right), age 33, recently united in a civl partnership with a woman in France and called her father’s search for a male suitor “very entertaining.” [Instinct Magazine, IB Times]
- Rihanna got drunk in a Las Vegas nightclub and barfed while dancing. But at least RiRi was not riding next to me on the subway when she lost her cookies![Uptown Magazine]
- Russell Brand told an Australian news show that he and Katy Perry divorced because of “incompatibility,” which is a less exciting answer than the rumor Brand cheated on her. [Celebrity Cafe]
- Eight cereals based on video games — yes, there are actually eight cereals based on video games. [Gurl] Keep reading »
Let me tell you a story about “bi invisibility.” A few years ago, at my first full-time job – which, I should clarify, was at an LGBT nonprofit organization – I was chatting with a gay male co-worker about a conversation he had with an acquaintance of ours. Apparently I had come up in their conversation, and he had referred to me as “straight.” As in “heterosexual.” I don’t know where the rest of the story was going, because I stopped my colleague right there.
“Actually,” I interjected, “I’m not straight.”
He seemed genuinely baffled. “You’re not?”
“Well … no. I can see why you thought I was, but I’m not. I’m bisexual.”
His eyes widened and he smiled. It was like a light bulb had gone off in his head and everything suddenly made sense. Meanwhile, I walked back to my cubicle, shocked that, at an LGBT organization, anyone would assume that anyone else was straight. It surprised me that, in a space where identity politics and queer issues were discussed regularly, being in a relationship with a man would automatically signify me as a hetero. I suddenly realized that my identity as a bi woman would always be invisible. I would always be invisible. That is, unless I found a way to combat that invisibility. Keep reading »
Because sexual identity is practically the same as wearing heels or flats, the fine fashionistas at Style.com have declared that lesbian chic is the next big thing. In an article on the site, writer Maya Singer notes that:
Lesbians! They’re everywhere. This summer, the New York fashion scene was buzzing with gossip about a couple of high-profile ladies who ditched their marriages and started dating women; across the pond, meanwhile, British Vogue ran a whole article on that phenomenon, while society rag Tatler chimed in with a feature on London’s seven “loveliest lesbians.” (Only seven?) Just last week, Models.com posted photos on its homepage of the nuptials of model Harmony Boucher and her bride, Nicole.
Because of course she did. This is what Evan Rachel Wood does—alienate people and perpetuate stereotypes (no, I don’t know if that’s what she really does as in she makes a habit of it, but that’s what she did this time, and it was pretty fucking rude if you ask me). This is what ERW had to say on Twitter about Miley’s recent hair-chopping endeavor:
“I called it! Miley Cyrus is leaning toward gay.”
Of course, people predictably freaked out and said all sorts of things about Evan Rachel Wood and about the pot calling the kettle a lesbian or whatever else, and naturally, Evan went back to the Twitterverse and claimed that—of course, duh—people took her all wrong and that she was just kidding about the whole thing. Read more …
What do you do if you’re an advice columnist who gets a letter from a young woman with questions about her crush on the twins sisters who make up the band Tegan & Sara? If you’re Dan Savage, you go right to the source and ask Tegan to answer the question for you. A woman wrote to the sex advice columnist saying:
I’ve been confused about my sexuality for two years. I am a 22-year-old female. I liked guys when I was in school, but then, in perhaps the most stereotypical of fashions, I developed a HUGE crush on Tegan and Sara when I was nearly 20…
Does that make me gay, she wondered?
- A public Mississippi museum that refused to allow two lesbians to hold a commitment ceremony on its grounds has relented. The Mississippi Agriculture and Forest Museum in Jackson had a policy of discriminating against same sex copules, but since it is a public museum and there is no state law against it, the women will be allowed to rent the venue. Good for them! [Seattle Times]
- Police in Florida (of course) “forcibly” pulled a tampon out of a woman during a strip search on the side of the road for, get this, rolling through a stop sign. Jesus. What is wrong with people? [Broward Palm Beach New Times]
- Stressed out men prefer the bodies of heavier-set women, according to a new study. Or maybe men just prefer hips and boobs? That’s a possibility, too. [TIME]
- An anime convention offered Ginny McQueen, a cosplay enthusiast, $200 to strip down to lingerie or pasties at an upcoming conference — despite the fact she is not a stripper or a burlesque performer of any kind. [Jezebel] Keep reading »
Last week, an interracial couple showed up for their wedding cake tasting at a small, family owned bakery in Colorado. But when the shop owner caught sight of the together-for-two-years pair, he turned them away because he doesn’t believe interracial couples should get married.
In a statement to the local television station, Jack Phillips, the owner of the Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood, Colorado, said he and his family believe so strongly that blacks and whites should not marry that “we would close down the bakery before we would compromise our beliefs.”
Phillips has been overwhelmed by community support for his stance. After the interracial couple complained to media of the bakery’s refusal, Phillips says he had “about twice as much business as normal,” with Coloradans coming out in droves to buy sweets from a man who believes marriage should be reserved only for people who are the same race as their partners.
Weird, right, that in 2012, people would be so proud to support such a clearly racist business? Well, I’ve fudged some details: the couple that wanted to buy a cake from the Masterpiece Cake Shop isn’t interracial. They’re gay. Keep reading »