- A YMCA in Tyler, Texas, is allegedly refusing to give a family membership to two lesbian parents, even though they did issue them such a membership a decade ago. The YMCA is now claiming the couple needs to have a marriage licence, despite the fact Texas doesn’t issue same-sex marriage certificates. [Think Progress]
- Cue the op-ed arguing that the Secretary of Defense shouldn’t have lifted the ban on women in combat. Apparently we can’t handle men pooping around us! [Wall Street Journal]
- Two Democratic female senators have reintroduced the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would require employers to prove that difference in pay is based on merit instead of gender. It also protects employees from being penalized for filing a pay discrimination claim. [Feminist.org] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: lesbian
Married couple Ariel and Shawnee McPhail recently enjoyed a meal at the Stingray Cafe in New Bern, North Carolina. After they settled the bill and were preparing to leave, cafe owner Ed McGovern handed the couple a letter explaining, basically, that God hates gays.
The letter read in full:
God said in the last days that man and women would be lover of self, more then the lover of God.That man and woman would have unnatural effection for one another. Then, the coming of the Son of Man, who is Jesus. So please, look at your life. See how it hurt every one around you. And ask the Lord to open your eye before it to late.The Love of ChristP.S. my daughter also was gay. It destroy her life and my grandson.
So that was great.
The McPhails are speaking out about the incident because “if we’re experiencing it, then other people are too and that’s not fair,” said Ariel McPhail. When McGovern was reached for comment, he confirmed that he had given the women the letter. And that he’s previously given another lesbian couple a letter, because he is apparently on full-time lesbian watch.
McGovern claims he saw the McPhails kissing in front his restaurant prior to their coming in, though the couple says they were only holding hands. And that begs the observation that McGovern was offended enough to write a letter but not offended enough to refuse the couple’s money. Now those are some principles. [WCTI12]
- Watch this absolutely infuriating interview with Army Staff Sgt. Tracy Dice, who lost her wife Sgt. Donna Johnson on October 1 when she was killed with two other soldiers by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan. Sgt. Dice is now being shut out of military benefits owed to her, as Johnson’s legal widow, because of the Defense Of Marriage Act. [Towelroad]
- ESPN sportscasters drooling over Miss Alabama in the stands of the Alabama/Notre Dame football game was gross. [Viva La Feminista] Keep reading »
- Meet 83-year-old Edith Windsor, the widower whose fight against the Defense of Marriage Act is headed to the Supreme Court (Windsor vs. United States). Windsor had a 40-year-long relationship with Thea Spyer, whom she married in Canada. But because her marriage to a woman was not recognized in New York State, Windsor was required to pay $600,000 in taxes that she would not have owed if she had been married to a man. DOMA allows states not to recognize same-sex marriages from other states and therefore Windsor was not treated as the surviving spouse. [New York Times, Feministing, Ms. Magazine]
Civil rights activist Angela DavisActivist Michaela Angela Davis is launching a campaign called “Bury The Rachet” to take negative focus off black women in the media, especially on reality shows, and instead focus on black women’s professional accomplishments. [Madame Noire, The Grio]
- Hey, even Colin Powell supports the removal of abortion restrictions on military women! [Think Progress] Keep reading »
- A lesbian couple who’s been together for 35 years got the first-ever marriage license for a same-sex union as soon as it became legal in Washington state at midnight last night. So cute, hooray for marriage equality! [Queerty]
- Congress is inching closer towards ending the ban on women in the military from using their health insurance to cover abortions in cases of rape and incest. [Washington Post]
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is a highly favorable pick for a hypothetical 2016 presidential run, according to a Washington Post poll. [Feministing]
- This very afternoon, Michigan state senate politicians could be reviewing five pieces of anti-abortion legislation. [Think Progress] Keep reading »
Of course, here’s the inevitable response to the parody video “Gay Men Will Marry Your Girlfriends.” I’ll have you know, lesbians, that you don’t scare me. I’m pre-t-t-y sure my blowjob skills are better than yours. [Feministing]
- Mallory Owens, the lesbian woman in Alabama who was allegedly brutally beaten up on Thanksgiving by her girlfriend’s brother because he did not “approve” of their relationship, has released a statement about the hate crime attack. [Queerty]
- On how white male anger has found an outlet in Susan Rice. [Slate]
- Why hating Chris Brown isn’t the same as supporting Rihanna. [NYMag.com]
- Offensive boy band lyrics rewritten to be more feminist! [PopDust] Keep reading »
- The family of Mallory Owens in Mobile, Alabama, wants charges upgraded for the 18-year-old boy who allegedly assaulted Owens on Thanksgiving. Travis Hawkins Jr. allegedly beat Owens so badly that her broken nose will require reconstructive surgery — all because she is dating his sister and he does not “approve.” He was arrested for second degree assault charges, but Owens’ family says his attack was a hate crime and should be upgraded to attempted murder. [WKRG] Keep reading »
- A Fox TV anchor in Cincinatti, Ohio, named Tricia Macke has apologized for calling MSNBC talk show host Rachel Maddow “an angry young man.” Gurl, you do not mess with my Rachel. [After Ellen]
- Sell those Thin Mints, girls! Sixty percent of women in the new Congress were Girl Scouts as children. [Mother Jones]
- On white girls wearing Native American headdresses as “fashionable” fun. [Racialicious] Keep reading »
These photos of Rihanna and Best Supermodel of All Time Kate Moss getting a bit Sapphic are pretty hot. Photographed for the latest issue of V magazine, the pair are rather good at affecting a lesbian lover kind of vibe. We’re feeling it. Check out the additional photos after the jump. [Rihanna Fenty] Keep reading »