- Well, that’s one way to get fired: Phivos Lampros Istavrioglou (what a name), the head of international relations at French fashion brand Moncler, has been accused of one major art heist. He was arrested at JFK airport for the theft of ‘Cartel Des Don Juan Tenorio 1949,’ a $150,000 Salvador Dali painting (shown), from an Upper East Side art gallery last year. [Business Insider]
- Race relations are always a popular topic in fashion, thanks in part to the industry’s reputation for being maybe just the slightest bit obtuse. At New York Fashion Week this season, critics noticed that there was less racial diversity than ever. Jezebel crunched the numbers, and here’s what they found… [Jezebel]
- Rihanna has another collaboration to add to her roster, and it isn’t musical this time. Just a few days after her design collab with British brand River Island went down the runway, the controversial singer has announced plans to partner with MAC Cosmetics. Like, really partner — RiRi has signed on to have a hand in four distinct color lines set to launch throughout this year. I guess that’s what you get for wearing Ruby Woo almost every time you’re photographed! [Refinery29]
- You’ll recall that John Galliano made waves in his Hasidic get-up during New York Fashion Week. Writers at Conan got in touch with the disgraced designer’s brother Joe, who actually does wear Jewish hats. Like, real Jewish hats, trimmed with bagels, dreidels, aaaaaand a circumcised banana. Yeah. Watch it! [The Cut]
Tag Archives: karl lagerfeld
- Karl Lagerfeld talks some shit about Michelle Obama’s new bangs, because obviously. His most scathing insult was the implication that she looks like a news anchor. [The Gloss, Huffington Post]
- Willow Smith has dropped out of Jay-Z’s remake of “Annie” because she’s “outgrown the role,” whatever that means. [NYmag.com Vulture]
- Megan Mullally confirmed the “Party Down” movie is actually happening. [BuzzFeed]
- The world may soon be treated to a photograph of Arnold Schwarzenegger “in the throes of passion,” for some reason. [TMZ] Keep reading »
- As the closer to the Chanel couture show, Karl Lagerfeld sent two wedding dress-clad female models down the runway hand in hand to show his support of marriage equality. The Associated Press was quick to coin the demonstration “lesbian couture,” and we want to know what the hell that means. [Fashionista]
- As if we needed more reasons to drool over Baz Luhrmann’s upcoming adaptation of “The Great Gatsby” — Miuccia Prada, of Prada and Miu Miu, designed 40 dresses for the film. Check out 4 of the sketches, all adapted from past Prada or Miu Miu collections. Ugh, such a tease! When is this thing out already? [Telegraph] Keep reading »
When this delicious macaron from heaven, featuring a back-of-the-sweatshirt cameo by Choupette Lagerfeld, angel-winged its way onto our computer screens yesterday, I was beside myself. Firstly because Jessica beat me to the Choupette Watch punch (Jessica: I forgive, but I don’t forget), and secondly because hello, why do I not have a Choupette sweatshirt already hanging in my closet? In fact, why don’t I have a closet full of Choupette paraphernalia? (The one in this video is indeed only for three-year-olds, and certainly only available in a very limited quantity, but hello, hi, I am a toddler-sized person, that hoodie was made for me.) A quick search of Etsy (where else?) wised us up to the fact that there actually is a market for this sort of thing. Let’s take a look at some of the cutest Choupette merchandise on the web, and hope to hell that there isn’t some sort of brand infringement at stake here. If there is, let me know, and I’ll cease production on my Choupette-inspired Cafepress collection ASAP.
Just last week, I was asking Rachel what Choupette has been up to lately. It’s been months since we’ve seen pictures of Karl Lagerfeld’s pampered kitten — last time was when she modeled in a 10-page editorial for V magazine with Laetitia Casta. But today the Internet Celebrity Cat Gods have sent us a macaron from heaven with a new short film for Chanel by Lagerfeld himself. Choupette herself doesn’t deign to make an appearance; I’ll let you watch and see for yourself how she appears. [Fashionista]
“They let me do anything I want.”
― Is it any surprise that, while most other designers are subject to concerns of budgeting and other logical limitations, the House of Chanel (owned by the Wertheimer brothers) stops the inimitable Karl Lagerfeld at nothing? Suddenly, the spectacular runway shows ― the life-size plane in the Grand Palais, the 265-ton imported glacier, last week’s event in a roofless Scottish palace at the height of winter ― make that much more sense. [Fashionista]
- Well, that was fast: just weeks after beloved Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquière departed the brand, Alexander Wang (shown here with Carine Roitfeld) has been placed as the head designer. This could spell trouble in endorsement paradise for Ghesquière’s friend (and face of Balenciaga fragrance Florabotanica) Kristen Stewart, as Wang vocally supported Liberty Ross earlier this year. [Refinery29]
- Page Six talked to Calvin Klein’s former boy toy Nick Gruber (who, at 22, is 48 years his designer ex’s junior) about his relationship with Calvin and his upcoming memoir. Fair warning: it’s all pretty weird. [NY Post]
- Kate Upton snagged her second international Vogue cover, this time for the prestigious glossy’s British version. Upton is inarguably finding success in all publications, but that doesn’t mean that Vogue UK editor Alexandra Shulman didn’t feel it necessary to explain her decision. [Gothamist]
Color us weirdos, but we just love some Karl Lagerfeld. The head designer of Chanel is an inveterate freak, with his strangle-y leather gloves, diet of Diet Coke and cigarettes, and propensity for wearing sunglasses indoors (always).
Karl always sticks out in a crowd — or does he? See if you can spot Herr Lagerfeld in these cheeky Where’s Waldo?-themed photo puzzles.
It is fairly common knowledge that getting older directly corresponds with getting weirder. Karl Lagerfeld was pretty fucking weird to begin with, but now, at 79, I think it’s safe to say that the longtime Chanel designer is the weirdest. The Kaiser may not consider himself a “political person,” but he did take some interest in this year’s presidential election (didn’t everyone?), even awaking early the following day in anticipation of the results. “Inspired” by the subject of President Obama, Karl celebrated the Democratic win in the way he knows best: by illustrating the POTUS in chef whites (using Shu Uemura makeup, because duh) bearing a cake in the shape of the White House. The handwritten caption reads, in German: “The Biggest Chef in the World: 10 X 5 Stars.” I’m sure there must be something to this metaphor, but it is 100 percent lost on me. [WWD via The Gloss]
Oh, Karl Lagerfeld, have you ever smiled in your life? We understand there’s a lot of pressure when you’re Kaiser Karl, but hello — you’re hanging out with amazing R&B star Frank Ocean. That’s something to be happy about! Ocean and Karl struck a pose together at Karl and Carine Roitfeld’s launch for their Little Black Jacket Chanel exhibition.