We’ve all probably done and said some pretty stupid things while wasted. But as stupid as former Dior designer John Galliano? Well … Galliano claims that the anti-Semitic rant he went on. which led to him being fired, was a result of booze and drugs. Galliano is on trial in Paris on public insult charges (a real thing in Paris) and, after being forced to watch the tape of himself saying “I love Hitler,” offered an apology. “I’m apologizing because that man you see up there is not John Galliano. I have no recollection of these events,” he said. “I read about them afterwards.” Galliano blamed his job with Dior for his exhaustion and drug use. Keep reading »
Tag Archives: john galliano
Well, whoops! In this month’s British Elle, Gwen Stefani gushes about her Christian Dior wedding dress, designed by none other than the infamous John Galliano. “When I got engaged and someone told me that John said he would make my dress, I was like, really?” the star told the magazine. “I said I wanted it to be over the top, but not traditional — I wanted it to be everything. But how do you tell this genius over the phone? He was, like, OK, and sent me these drawings of this unbelievable, perfect dress. It’s going into the V&A [Victoria & Albert Museum] now. I didn’t want to send it because I was scared it would get ruined. But it’s a work of art, it needed to be seen.” Of course, this was all before the big anti-Semitic scandal broke out, but still, we imagine it’s gotta make Gwen squirm just a little. [Telegraph UK] Keep reading »
UPDATE: John Galliano has released a statement in which he apologizes, says “I must face up to my own failures” and announces he is headed to rehab. Read the full statement here.
Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking people in creative, free-thinking professions like writing or fashion design have progressive views to back them up. My mistake. Designer John Galliano was arrested last week and fired from Dior yesterday after video tape surfaced of him slurring at patrons in a Paris café, “I love Hitler. … People like you would be dead. Your mothers, your forefathers, would all be f**king gassed.” Indefensible, right? But bizarrely, fashion designer Patricia Field from “Sex and the City,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” and “Confessions Of A Shopaholic,” has come to his defense. Keep reading »
“In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way. I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful.”
– Natalie Portman, the face of the Miss Dior Cherie fragrance, released a statement condemning Christian Dior designer John Galliano’s anti-Semitic rant. Galliano was caught on tape drunkenly declaring, “I love Hitler,” and then, addressing those filming him, “People like you would be dead today. Your mothers and forefathers would be f**king gassed.” Galliano has officially been fired from Dior, effective immediately. Said Dior CEO Sidney Toledano: “I very firmly condemn what was said by John Galliano, which totally contradicts the values which have always been defended by Christian Dior.” [StyleList] Keep reading »
- A video has been released of suspended Dior designer John Galliano slurring at patrons in a Parisian café with an anti-Semitic rant. Galliano can be heard saying “I love Hitler” and “People like you would be dead. Your mothers, your forefathers, would all be f**king gassed.” He also calls them “ugly.” (It’s unclear if this video is from the incident last week that led to Dior’s suspension of Galliano, or if it was filmed on a separate occasion.) Ugh, just throw him in the pokey with Mel Gibson. [Styleite]
- Poor, poor Bielibers: Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber were photographed kissing in one of those old-timey photo boots at the Vanity Fair Oscars party. [Celebuzz]
- MTV star Abram Boise from “Road Rules: South Pacific” was arrested in Massachusetts this weekend for peeing in public … and then pooped on his hands and wiped them on the walls of his jail cell. Get it together, Abram. Not even Ronnie from “Jersey Shore” would do that. [TMZ]
Dior designer John Galliano’s been making headlines this week, and his designs (for once) haven’t been what everyone’s buzzing about.
The Guardian reports that Galliano was arrested in Paris for “alleged assault and making anti-Semitic remarks after a late-night drinking session.”
“Online shopping — oh, no. I didn’t even know what e-commerce was until last week. I like the experience. I like to feel the fur, to smell the tweed. I like the service. I love that you go into Hermès wearing your trainers and they still say, ‘Oh Mr. Galliano, may we brush your shoes?’ … I get people to [tweet] for me. When I was here last, I was only here for four or five days and there were 30,000 calls or whatever you call them … Yeah, there were 30,000. They had nothing to do with Dior, nothing to do with [the company] John Galliano. Just what I look like when I leave the hotel, or people had seen me in a restaurant or going to the gym. Thirty thousand! That’s a lot. I could advertise on that site. I think we need to exploit that, don’t you?”
– John Galliano goes from not knowing anything about online shopping to trying to figure out how to exploit Twitter in a matter of days. Oh, and he also calls information technology “machinery.” [The Cut] Keep reading »
For reasons I still can’t quite comprehend, Jared Leto is a major fixture in the front row during Fashion Week. Here, he and couture master John Galliano look as chummy as fashion types can get when they’re worried about standing out, wrinkles, and clashing (time periods). One more photo of Jared after the jump. [Paris, 7/5/10] Keep reading »
At the John Galliano menswear show in Paris, male models walked in fashions inspired by Charlie Chaplin. The drop crotch pants that come out at the beginning look especially perfect for the man with the extra long package — or interested in resurrecting the MC Hammer effect. But will men be wearing white face, top hats, and fake mustaches come this fall? In fashion, anything is possible. Has anyone else noticed the long blond-haired male model walking in a lot of the shows? In this one, he trots about in what amounts to a Speedo. He looks like a girl, and I sort of love it. FYI, the half-naked numbers revealing six-pack abs start around the 2:30 mark. [GQ] Keep reading »