Almost 250 female inmates in the California prison system were sterilized — some after being pressured by doctors — between 1997 and 2010, according to a a new report. The report conducted by the Center for Investigative Reporting quoted women that had felt pestered into getting tubal ligations at both the California Institution for Women in Corona and the Valley State Prison for Women In Chowchilla. Keep reading »
Tag Archives: jail
I’ve written candidly about Mother’s Day and all the ways I think the commercialization of it fucks up our relationships with our moms. My own relationship with my mom has been easy because … well, she’s awesome. But my complex relationship to fatherhood makes both talking and writing about it difficult.
There are two people in my life that I call Dad – my biological father and my stepfather. I have very different relationships with each of them and writing about one without mentioning the other feels like a weird act of disloyalty. But this Father’s Day, I’m letting go of that and writing about redemption and it’s relationship to fatherhood.
My biological father has a colorful past; he talks openly and nostalgically about his time as a drug dealer and his stint in prison. I remember bits and pieces of it. One time when I was small, my mother took my sister and me and my brother to the prison to see him. We pressed our dirty, little hands against the impassable glass partition that separated us and talked over a black phone that connected the two sides of the glass. When my dad was released, my parents were separated and we were shuffled back and forth between them every other weekend. My parents were young when they had my twin sister and me — just 21 and 22. Now, having a brother who is 25 and a father, it puts into perspective what it must have been like for my dad to have kids at that age. Keep reading »
Going to jail is (usually) not funny. But writing a Yelp review about going to jail? That’s hilarious. Randomly, I came across a Yelp listing for NYC’s Central Booking, which is the holding pen for freshly arrested criminals and would-be criminals, which is also lovingly referred to as “the Tombs.” (It’s also heavily featured on every Law & Order franchise ever). People who are arrested are brought to Central Booking to be arraigned, and often minor criminals — violations of open container laws, or turnstyle jumpers — are mixed in with more hardened criminals. It’s not a very luxe place, as you might imagine.
But because New Yorkers have opinions on everything, past Central Booking occupants had a lot to say on the quality of their CB stay. Read on for their illustrious jailhouse reviews. Keep reading »
“Unless you’re a killer, I don’t see a reason to stay there. I never hurt anyone but myself.”
—Lindsay Lohan looks adorable on the cover of Italian Vanity Fair. Too bad that inside she kind of backtracked on the whole “I accept my punishment and am working hard to move on” stance she’d taken earlier this year. Really, Lindsay, you think only murderers should go to jail? That’s just not how society works. [ONTD]
Keep reading »
- A jail in Oregon won’t let a 23-year-old pregnant woman have an abortion unless she posts 1/10th of her $65,000 bail. You see, her abortion is not an “emergency.” Um, hello? This woman is being treated for mental health issues! She doused herself with paint thinner! And lighter fluid! She sure sounds like an excellent candidate for unwanted motherhood to me. Sigh. [Yamhill Valley News Register via Reproductive Rights Reality Check]
- The hotel maid who accused Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former chief of the IMF, of sexual assault announced she will sue The New York Post and five of its reporters for libel after it published a story on Saturday claiming she was a prostitute. [Reuters]
- Meanwhile, writer Tristane Banon has filed a complaint accusing Strauss-Kahn of attempted rape in 2003. [Los Angeles Times]
- Lindsay Lohan is probably going back to jail. But maybe it’s all part of God’s plan, like Dina Lohan said? (Killer side-eye, BTW, Lindz.) [PopEater, The Superficial]
- Rumor has it Beyoncé, Usher and Mariah Carey have played for the Libyan dictator, Muammar Qaddafi, which means they may have lined their pockets with what is politely referred to as “blood money.” Oof. Get your publicists on that one, stat, guys. [Oh No They Didn't]
- The date is set for Hugh Hefner’s blessed union to Playboy model Crystal Harris: Saturday, June 18, at the Playboy Mansion. We await our invites. [Hugh Hefner Twitter]
Perhaps the hiccups made her do it: We’ll never know. In 2007, Jennifer Mee made headlines when she suffered from uncontrollable hiccups. Over the weekend, Mee was arrested and charged with first degree murder. Mee has been charged in the shooting death of 22-year-old Shannon Griffin. According to police, Mee lured Griffin to a seedy part of St. Petersburg, FL (of course, Florida), where Lamont Newton and Laron Raiford robbed and killed him. She’s currently being held without bail in Pinellas County Jail.
Three years ago, Mee, now 19, suffered from an extended bout of hiccups — sometimes hiccuping more than 50 times in an minute. Her hiccups were cured after several weeks and in the media frenzy over her strange disorder she reconnected with her biological father. [MSNBC] Keep reading »
Last week, it appeared that Lindsay Lohan was done donning the orange jumpsuit while Paris Hilton seemed sure to be headed to jail again for getting caught with nearly a gram of cocaine in her purse, and then claiming that she thought it was gum. Oh, what a difference seven days makes. Today, the exact opposite is true. Keep reading »
“As part of my spiritual cleansing I’ve spent the last week living alone in the [Costa Rican] jungle, reflecting on my past transgressions, and working to become a better person. I had to live off the land, and hunt to survive. As I departed the country this morning to continue my spiritual journey, I mistakenly brought my hunting weapons to the airport. It was an honest mistake … Costa Rican jail smells like children’s tears. And soup. Delicious soup. Thanks to jail, I finally have something in common with Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, and that Lohan chick!”
—Spencer Pratt tells TMZ and his Twitter followers that he was jailed for weapons possession in Costa Rica. We’re sure Gandhi and Mandela are happy to be in such esteemed company. Also, Spencer was apparently in Costa Rica to try to win back Heidi Montag, who is there finding a new plastic surgeon. Make it stop. [TMZ]
Keep reading »