I shook my head recently when I read about New York Observer film critic Rex Reed’s personal insult toward actress Melissa McCarthy. In a review of her latest offering, “Identity Thief,” he called her “tractor-sized” and as big as a “hippo.” Isn’t it interesting, I thought, that a man, who himself is part of a marginalized and often supressed segment of society [Reed is widely believed to be gay.] wields his pejoratives so freely when directed toward another similarly ill-regarded community, the “un-thin” or “un-commercial.” The part of our population that still hides in a closet of self-hatred. The part of our population, fearful that they won’t be accepted or seen for anything other than their physical appearance. You don’t have to be overweight to be part of our collective; you just have to have a self-loathing of some physical feature you feel you possess. Surely, this is something that everyone can relate to at some point in their lives and certainly, unless he was blessed to have grown up amongst royalty, Rex Reed himself must have had to deal with.
Tag Archives: identity thief
- Score! “Bridesmaids” star Melissa McCarthy’s got three movies coming down the pipeline … [Hollywood Reporter]
- … but that didn’t stop a New York Observer movie reviewer from referring to her as a “hippo” in his review of “Identity Thief.” Asshole. [NY Observer]
- Amelia was freaking out yesterday over this blonde, buxom model being used on the cover of an edition of Anne Of Green Gables. HELLO? Anne is supposed to be a skinny redhead. [Quill & Quire]
- Listen up, “Arrested Development” nerds: the upcoming season that will appear exclusively on Netflix is only “Act 1,” says Jason Bateman, and Acts 2 and 3 will be in a movie. [Zap2It]
- Quvenzhané Wallis from “Beasts Of The Southern Wild” carries puppy purses on the red carpet, is adorable. [Evil Beet Gossip] Keep reading »
We’ve been waiting for Melissa McCarthy’s next move post-”Bridesmaids,” and we are so happy she’s going to be in a new movie with Jason Bateman. In “Identity Thief,” Jason and Melissa go toe-to-toe over a stolen identity and mountains of debt. Very stoked for this!