- The lengths women will go through to seem “pure”: an increasing number of sexually active young Chinese women are getting a surgical “hymen restoration” so they appear to be virgins on their wedding night. A “hymen restoration” costs about $700 and involves a half hour of surgery. [Washington Post]
- Miss Universe contestants caused a stir posing topless in body paint in promotions for the pageant. Because, you know, beauty pageants aren’t supposed to be about people’s bodies or anything. [Huffington Post]
- Health experts say low-income immigrant women are using the abortion pill RU-486 illicitly, because they can purchase the pills for as little as $20 off the street when they cannot afford a doctor’s visit to have them prescribed. According to the February 2010 of the journal Contraception, the median cost for a first-trimester abortion is $430. [ABC News]
Tag Archives: hymen
In some cultures, the word “hymen” could use a little re-branding — so the Swedish Association for Sexual Education is renaming it! The Nordic org is publishing literature in English, Arabic and Sorani Kurdish that refers to that little piece of tissue as the “vaginal crown” or “vaginal corona” and provides diagrams and info explaining that not having a hymen when one first has sex doesn’t mean one is not a virgin. The group hopes that more education on the hymen — er, the “vaginal crown” — will have an effect on the number of so-called “honor killings,” when male members of a family murder a woman who has had sex out of wedlock or even associated with a man who is not socially approved by her culture.
The Frisky is pretty happy to live in a place where having a hymen on our wedding night is not a life or death situation. But we couldn’t help but get the ol’ wheels turning when it comes to renaming the hymen. After the jump, some suggestions that were probably rejected … Keep reading »
- Egyptian lawmakers have called for a ban on importing the Artificial Virginity Hymen kit from China, a $30 kit that leaks a blood-like substance when inserted and broken, allowing women to fool men into thinking that they’re virgins. [Fox News]—Hmm, how about a ban on the degrading notion that a woman is only valuable if she hasn’t had sex before? Just a thought!
- President Obama included “same sex couples” in a speech last week when he declared Sept. 28 “Family Day,” but some gay activists say they’re not impressed and want him to be a stronger advocate for LGBT families. [L.A. Times]
Guys sure love tearing into our hymens. It’s about time we do too. Because, like, it’s part of you…or at least it was until you had pre-marital sex, you tramp! Just kidding, but seriously, knowledge is power. And like Wonder Woman and She-Ra before us, we deserve Powerful Privates, right? After the jump, a crash course in what we like to call “hymenology.” Keep reading »
Ever wonder what it would be like if you were a virgin again? Have you wished you could recreate the night you gave up your goodies? He would gaze deeply into your eyes and tell you how much he loves you in front of a roaring fireplace over soft music and candlelight with rose petals strewn on the floor. But instead, you gave it up in the bathroom to the cute guy on the basketball team for a two minute quickie because you thought you were going to be with him forever but instead he was just using you and you’ve never talked to him again…no, I’m not bitter. Well now you can re-live that virgin’ fantasy of yours with the Artificial Virginity Hymen. Yes, that’s right ladies. You can be deflowered for a second (and third! and fourth!) time.
Phone sex is a fun way to keep in touch while a loved one is out of the country. But usually when we complain about being raped by long distance charges, weâ€™re only talking about the bill. A family in Tunisia, however, is suing a man they claim took their daughterâ€™s virginity over the phone. While the man never even laid a finger on her, the 20-year-old was heard shrieking, um, erotically and supposedly broke her own hymen — according to her medical examination. Impressive! Even Janeane Garofalo, the star of The Truth About Cats And Dogs’ classic phone sex scene, would be wowed. [UPI] Keep reading »