Lifetime has announced that it will be producing a made-for-TV movie about the young life of Gabby Douglas, the first American to win both the individual all-around and team gymnastics competitions in a single year’s Olympic Games, and the first woman of color to take the gold in the individual all-around competition. Read more at The Mary Sue…
Tag Archives: gabby douglas
- Gold medal Olympian Gabby Douglas claims in an upcoming Vanity Fair article that a staff member at her former gym in Virginia Beach once told her to get a nose job! Lord, it sounds like everyone sticks their foot in their mouth around Gabby. (The gym denied this incident ever occurred.) [Vanity Fair]
- Catherine O’Hara from “Best In Show” and “Breaking Bad”‘s Bryan Cranston are joining “30 Rock” as Kenneth the Page’s country bumpkin ma and pa. [TV Line]
- LeAnn Rimes is suing two women who she says illegally tape recorded her during a phone conversation without consent and posted it online. In the audio, Rimes talks about drama she’s having with someone on Twitter regarding her husband Eddie Cibrian’s ex-wife Brandi Glanville. Pressure from the whole thing is apparently part of the reasons Rimes checked into a 30-day clinic to cope with “anxiety and stress.” [People]
- How do Clint Eastwood and invisible Obama match up against other half-invisible comedy duos? [NYMag.com]
- Irina Shayk sideboob alert! [Socialite Life]
- In her upcoming interview with Oprah, Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas says she was “bullied” and “isolated” at her Virginia Beach gym for being black and was even called a “slave.” But her gym, Excalibur Gymnastics, denied the claims and called Gabby’s comments “hurtful” and “without merit.” Err, I think she would know what happened to her, guys. [iVillage]
- Super-weird new couple alert: Russell Brand is dating Geri Halliwell from the Spice Girls after dumping Isabella Brewster. The two reportedly met while working on the London Olympics Closing Ceremony. [Stupid Celebrities]
- Lindsay Lohan and her assistant are officially LAPD suspects in the case of $100,000 worth of stolen sunglasses and watches from a friend’s Hollywood home. [Socialite Life]
- Flight of the Conchords have reunited (!) for a single called “Feel Inside (And Stuff Like That)” to raise money for a New Zealand charity, Cure Kids, which helps chidlren with deadly diseases. [The FW] Keep reading »
“Colbert Report” host Stephen Colbert knows probably better than anyone that in order to succeed you have to work with the best. That’s why on his show Wednesday night he said goodbye to his latest crop of interns, and brought on a new, shall we say, more qualified set: the gold medal-winning women’s gymnastic team. That’s right: Gabby, McKayla, Kyla, Aly and Jordyn — along with Aly’s very excitable mom — all made an appearance. And they were tasked with the very important job of making sure Stephen had his pen. You know how Stephen can get about his pens. [Comedy Central]
Two-time Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas looked every bit the sparkling superstar that she is while navigating JFK Airport on her way to an appearance on “The Tonight Show” yesterday. Her metallic gold mini skirt and black motorcycle jacket are a flattering, edgy, and age-appropriate choice for her triumphant return to the U.S. Gabby definitely wins gold in the Best Outfit All-Around. [Photo: Fame/Flynet]
Natalie Hawkins is the mother behind gold medal Olympic gymnast Gabrielle Douglas. Sixteen-year-old Douglas managed to capture the gold medal in the women’s gymnastics all-around, and helped lead the U.S. women’s gymnastics team to the gold medal in team competition. But Gabby couldn’t have done it without the love and support of Natalie, who sacrificed time, money — and even keeping her family together — for her to succeed. Two years ago, Natalie allowed Gabby to move across the country to Des Moines, Iowa, to train with Shawn Johnson’s coach Liang Chow, and her sacrifice paid off.
Just days after Gabby’s ground-breaking win as the first African-American woman to win all-around gold in gymnastics at the Olympics, we spoke to Natalie about how she raised four kids — and an Olympic champion.
Keep reading »
This piece was originally published on xoJane.com.
When I was a senior in high school [above left], I attended this college prep program held in the sanctuary of a Baptist church across the street from my grandmother’s $1 Soul Food restaurant in south central Los Angeles. High-achieving nerds from all over the city would meet up every Thursday to talk personal essays, financial aid and application fees well past 11 o’clock.
One night the guy I was crushing on gave me a ride home in his mom’s new-but-used white BMW. I think we were debating the merits of the Common app versus the UC app and listening to Tupac at a medium volume when those angry telltale lights began to flash behind us. Jay looked at me and laughed. Those couldn’t be for us.
Of course they were. Keep reading »
- Gymnast Gabby Douglas was (preposterously!) criticized for her laid-back hairstyle while competing in the Olympics and it appears that three of her fellow U.S. gymnasts — Ali Reisman, Jordyn Wieber, and McKayla Maroney — all did their hair in a similar way last night in solidarity. Cute! [BuzzFeed]
- Medical groups in Texas are pushing back against a proposed rule that would forbid doctors from even discussing the option of abortion with patients. [Think Progress]
- Newsweek illustrated their most recent issue about the 101 best places to eat in the world with … uh … a picture of a woman about to perform fellatio on some asparagus. [Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting]
- Three must-read women’s perspectives on the Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting. [Glamour] Keep reading »
Sadly — well, for me at least, because I love it – today was the last day of gymnastics events at the 2012 Olympics in London. In addition to the men’s parallel bars final, the women competed in the finals for floor and beam; all three events will air tonight in the U.S. but if you just can’t wait until then, we have a whole mess of awesome photos from the women’s events. But be warned: we will reveal at least some of the winners on the final slide of the post!
Last week we posted about our rage over the utterly ridiculous (and unfounded) complaints circulating the web over Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas‘ hair. As we wrote it we were kind of secretly hoping that we were blowing it out of proportion, that it was a small enough story that it would never get back to Douglas herself. No such luck. Douglas has most certainly heard about the unflattering attention her hair has been getting by some, and she’s responded in kind. Click through the jump to see what she has to say, along with some other Olympic athletes who have been receiving some less-than-flattering attention based on their appearance. Read more…