- DAMN, why do I not live in France?!?! Karl Lagerfeld designed fancy little outfits for some Barbie dolls and they’re are on display at the Colette shop in Paris from March 9-28. Pics (alongside a real-life “Ken” model) above. [Collete]
- And in more Barbie news: a lawmaker in West Virgina is trying to outlaw the Little Miss Wackadoo Body Image with the Barbie Ban Bill. Okay, I’m the first person to agree giving little kids a blonde, big-boobed, long-legged and smiling doll sends a bad message. But maybe we should put pressure on Mattel to create a doll which reflects an actual human’s body first. [MSNBC]
- “I don’t drink, but I smell like I do,” says transsexual performance artist, Amanda Lepore, about her new $950 fragrance, Amanda, which includes a note of Cristal champagne. [New York Times]
- We’ll never get sick of models falling! [Refinery 29]
Tag Archives: fetching
- Tyra Banks is making a “comeback” of sorts: “America’s Next Top Model,” cycle 12, is back on the air tonight. I wonder what over-the-top schtick Ty-Ty will go for this year? [The CW]
- He’s not MY choice for sexiest royal, but whatever…”Esquire” voted Prince Charles, second in line to England’s throne, as one of their “Best Dressed Men” in their April issue. [Daily Mail]
- Jennifer Lopez borrowed $50K worth of bling from Swiss billionaire/diamond aficianado Robert Mouawad for an event at Barney’s…and liked the diamond jewelry so much she kept it. No hard feelings from the billionaire, though.
- Somewhat inexplicably, Paris Hilton will be the first recipient of The Fragrance Foundation’s “Celebrity of the Year” award in May. You know, we actually have a bottle of her Fairy Dust perfume and just haven’t gotten around to trying it yet…. [Now Smell This]
- Britney Spears has done something that actually makes sense: she’s the new spokeswoman for sexy/trashy brand Candie’s, sold at Kohl’s. [WWD]
- Sarah Jessica Parker said she regrets wearing a black wedding dress when she wed Matthew Broderick in 1997 and would do things differently today: “(I would) white it up. I’d wear a beautiful, proper wedding dress, like I should have worn on that day.” [Times of India]
- Tom Cruise is threatening to sue Addictiontee.com for Photoshopping his image onto tees which say “Sex Addict” and “Everything Turns Me On.” A spokesperson for Addictiontee.com says their next tee shirt will say, “I sue everybody.” Oh…snap. [Times of India]
Most little girls (and even some boys!) have a moment where they play in mom’s makeup, pretending to be a grown-up woman. But is the reverse true as well: do grown women like to play in makeup that looks to be for little girls?
Barbie for Stila, featuring makeup mimicking Barbie’s looks over the past half-century appeared in January. Blue Smurf makeup for Too Faced also came in January and a Hello Kitty collection from M.A.C. — a pink kitty adorns all-black makeup cases — debuts this February.
I love the Smurfs and Barbie as much as the next girl, but what’s up with all the cartoon characters on makeup? And what’s next? Care Bear-inspired pastel nail polish? Strawberry Shortcake red lip gloss? Dare I even suggest orange Garfield eyeshadow? Help me make sense of all this kitsch, after the jump…. Keep reading »
David Beckham*, what hath you wrought?
First, the New York Rangers’ left wing Sean Avery interned at Vogue and blogged for MensVogue.com about everything from what’s in his closet (Dries Van Noten, Chanel) to what it’s like fracturing one’s spleen on the ice.
Now, Philadelphia Eagles football player, Stewart Bradley, (who is a total stud muffin, BTW) is interning at Elle magazine. The Philadelphia Daily News reports that the 6’4″, 255 lb. linebacker may even be working at Fashion Week later this month.
Hmm, I’d be interested to know if all of Elle‘s interns get to work at Fashion Week.
(*Of course, Becks hasn’t actually interned at a fashion magazine, so this is not exactly his fault. But Becks is responsible for the idea that gifted athletes could also be metrosexual fashionistas. Why, just this week we posted a pic of Becks in his undies, posing for Armani.) Keep reading »
Way before MGMT, Weezer, Kurt Cobain, and even Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly made nerd rock cool with his iconic black-rimmed glasses and according The Guardian the dweeb look is BACK. Channel this legend’s look—who died 50 years ago this month—and hopefully his visionary spirit with a pair of these geeky-glam specs.
1. These slim black-and-pewter framed glasses will look effortlessly hip on most face types. [$280, Oliver People]
2. It takes a brave girl to pull off these bold glasses, but you can do it, girl. [$77, Guess]
3. Red-frames are a fun (and flattering) twist to this retro look. [$550, Selima Optique]
4. These wide-framed bad boys are both cool and chic. [$130, Ray Ban]
Keep reading »
Bad boyfriends…frenemies…makeover TV shows. One of the fundamental questions of human nature is why do we love stuff that may not be so good for our self-esteem?
A new study from the University of Southern California says that that women who watch more makeover shows, like “Nip/Tuck,” “Dr. 90210″ or “The Swan,” feel more insecure about their bodies. It brings a whole new meaning to the words “boob tube,” doesn’t it? Keep reading »