Oh, FEMEN. Whether you respect their antics or think they’re terribly offensive and annoying, you have to admit they’re good at publicity stunts! The topless feminist activist group’s latest hijinks? Going into a mosque in Stockholm, Sweden, while wearing burqas and then whipping off the veils to reveal their bare breasts underneath and political slogans written across their stomachs. Keep reading »
Tag Archives: femen
- The African country of Tunisia put three activists from the topless feminist group FEMEN on trial for debauchery after they bared their breasts in the city’s capital in May. Their lawyers say the women were not behaving in a debauched manner in the deeply Islamic country because they were staging a political protest, not trying to sexually arouse anyone. [Huffington Post]
- Samantha Power, a former adviser to President Obama, will be named as the United States’ ambassador to the United Nations. Power is replacing Susan Rice, who will become Obama’s national security advisor. [Huffington Post]
- Hitched columnist Andrea Grimes on how Austin might become the first city in Texas to offer 30 days of paid parental leave to city employees. Note it is parental leave — it could be moms, dads, even same-sex couples. [RH Reality Check] Keep reading »
- Amina, a 19-year-old FEMEN feminist activist in Tunisia, posted a topless picture of herself on Facebook with the words “Fuck your morals” written across her chest. She’s since been threatened with death by stoning or lashes by Muslim leaders. (One warned she might “give ideas to other women.” Oh no! Ideas!) Now activists are calling for a day of support for Amina on April 4. [Huffington Post UK, International Business Times]
- Even some Republicans in North Dakota think they went too far in banning all abortions in the state. [Huffington Post]
- Hitched columnist Andrea Grimes on the thousands of Dallas men who joined a rally against domestic violence. [Reproductive Health Reality Check]
- Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts gave his lesbian cousin Jean Podrasky a “highly coveted” ticket to the Court’s hearing on Prop 8 tomorrow. [Queerty]
- Republican lawmaker Rep. Debbie Riddle posted something on her Facebook page about how women need to be “modest” while breastfeeding. As opposed to slutty breastfeeding? [San Francisco Gate] Keep reading »
Topless nuns were seen hosing down anti-gay marriage demonstrators with “holy sperm” last Sunday in Paris.
Go ahead. Read that sentence again.
Of course, these weren’t real nuns! FEMEN, the breast-baring Ukrainian women’s movement, is famous for spreading awareness about a cause through nudity. When FEMEN found out that more than 100,000 Catholics would be protesting against France’s legislation to allow gay marriage and adoption, they got their weapons ready. With various slogans written across their chests, including “In Gay We Trust” and “Fuck God,” Femen members got creative with baby powder, spraying the mist on protesters, calling it “Jesus Sperm.” Keep reading »
Well, that’s one way to get the job done: A feminist group in the Ukraine has gone to extreme measures to get out their message. Members of FEMEN, a Ukrainian feminist group, have taken to topless protesting to get their point across. The group supports everything from equal pay and anti-sex trafficking bills to fighting for increased voting rights and against unfair utility taxes.
Founded in 2008 by a group of fed-up Ukrainian college students, FEMEN aims to rally young women to feminist causes. “I set up FEMEN because I realized that there was a lack of women activists in our society; Ukraine is male-oriented and women take a passive role,” explains founder Anna Hutsol. Keep reading »