Because all patriarchal structures must fall, fashion magazine Gemma is gone! In its place is Vag Magazine, a feminist rag purchased by Fennel, Sylvie, Bethany, Heavy Flo (a roller derby legend), and Reba (a gonzo feminist pop-culture journalist) with the proceeds from the reusable menstrual pads they sell on their Etsy shop. Will Meghan, the sole holdover from Gemma, survive their stern rebukes and wayward logic?
This parody is good, but my favorite “Vag Magazine” skit — Meghan’s new co-workers teach her a lesson about “feminist skirts” — is after the jump … Keep reading »
After a successful ladyflower extravaganza hosted by Betty White last spring, on Monday, November 1, “Saturday Night Live” will air yet another ode to the vag. The “Women of SNL” special will blend both new and old, mixing classic clips with new material from Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Rachel Dratch, Maya Rudolph and others. Yay … I think? I would watch two hours of these ladies clipping their toenails. (Call me, Tina.) But at some point, “SNL” should not need these specials. The show should just have lots of funny women comics and writers all the time. Hire a funny black lady so damn Kenan Thompson doesn’t keep having to wear a dress and lipstick, you hear? [Entertainment Weekly] Keep reading »
Margaret Cho, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. There’s your 1994 show “All-American Girl.” Your stand-up comedy concerts like “I’m The One That I Want” and “Notorious C.H.O.” Your shows “The Cho Show,” and most recently, “Drop Dead Diva.” I could go on, but I don’t want to embarrass you with your own awesomeness.
Whether you caught her in the ’90s or in the aughties, Cho is inescapable — and undeniably funny. This summer, she’s releasing her first album of “comedy music,” Cho Dependent, on which she got to perform with the likes of Fiona Apple and Ani DiFranco. Lucky bitch!
Cho was kind enough to take some time out of her busy schedule to talk to us about stand-up comedy, writing songs about homicidal ex boyfriends and camel toe. Keep reading »
Soon after Betty White hosted “Saturday Night Live,” I remember asking my friend Nate, a fellow “Golden Girls” fanatic, what he thought of all the fuss around White’s meteoric comeback. He rolled his eyes, shrugged, and said, “It’s just weird that everybody’s finally come around to realizing that Betty White is amazing. Where have they been?”
He was right: the recent trend of people catching on to the fact that Betty White is terrific felt patronizing, and not just because most were astonished that an adorable old lady could land a joke better than most “SNL” hosts one-third her age (I’m looking at you, January Jones); it was the belated appreciation of White’s fabulousness that made all of us look even sillier.
And now, there’s Joan Rivers. Keep reading »
According to highly scientific polls, 15 percent of women think staring is cheating, 45 percent have tried the “fingernail” diet, and 99 percent rate a sense of humor as the sexiest trait a man can have (the remaining 1 percent picked “sparkle”). When such pop statisticians ask men the same question, they usually respond “boobs.” Judging from this inequality of opinion, one could conclude that women are selfless flowers who find self-awareness attractive and that men are shallow. This is not entirely untrue. That women prize a guy who can laugh at himself and all the unpredictable absurdities that life throws at you is great news to bros with bellies who can belch the melody to “Paparazzi.” I like to think of this as an evolutionary gift; otherwise, the females of the species would have been left having to choose equally matched mates by their ability to fling poop. Keep reading »
Watch your bestseller-list ass, Chelsea Handler. For years, Samantha Bee has been giving brain boners as Most Senior Correspondent on “The Daily Show” and now Canada’s finest import has published her first book, a collection of autobiographical essays titled I Know I Am, But What Are You?.
From saucy recaps of her Barbie dolls’ sex lives to the bittersweet tale of meeting husband, fellow “Daily Show” correspondent Jason Jones, while performing a Sailor Moon musical for children, Bee’s book will have you snorting milk out of your nose (or else something is seriously wrong with you). And because she is awesome, Bee poses on her own book cover in a bumblebee costume. But don’t worry, boys, in the author photo on the back cover she is nude.
Bee agreed to chat with The Frisky, so I called her up armed with list of questions. In part one of our interview, we talked about the expected — being a woman in comedy, her book, and “The Daily Show,” of course. What I did not expect was that she would start our interview by telling me about her vagina. Keep reading »