I was in bed, half-awake, on Sunday morning when I found out that Cory Monteith, one of the lead actors on “Glee,” had died suddenly of an apparent drug overdose the day before. Monteith was never a celebrity that I would have expected to die at 31. Even though I knew he had struggled with drug addiction and done several stints in rehab, he didn’t have that reputation for reckless living like Lindsay Lohan or Justin Bieber do.
Julie had the presence of mind to throw up a quick post on The Frisky. But my thoughts were firmly fixated on the actor’s family and friends and his girlfriend, “Glee” co-star Lea Michele. I kept thinking about Michele, who was apparently vacationing in Mexico when her boyfriend died in a hotel room in Vancouver, getting that phone call telling her Monteith had died.
I forgot about how I personally find Lea Michele really annoying and have never, ever wanted to see a movie she is in or read a magazine interview with her. But in that moment, I felt for her. I really felt for her. Because I have been waiting for that same phone call my entire life. Keep reading »
“Si, si!” Armani concurs cheerfully: “I’d better tell you the story. It was a long time ago, we were in the office, and we had finished work exhausted. A friend of a friend said ‘hey, take this it will give you energy’, so I thought I’d try it. I didn’t know what it was. It made me laugh and laugh, like crazy… to the point that my back hurt” — he holds his hips — “like I’d just had a baby.”
— Famous people! They’re just like us, takin’ mysterious drugs and hoping for the best. An excerpt from a new biography of Giorgio Armani alludes to the fact that the illustrious Italian fashion tycoon is no stranger to the weird world of ~*~*~psychedelics~*~*~, so naturally The Telegraph sought to expound on his experience. And expound he did! Isn’t it always a “friend of a friend” who is somehow responsible for the party favors? [Huffington Post]
I believe this is what one would call a really bad trip. No one is really sure how, but a 41-year-old Columbus, Ohio, man managed to mutilate his own penis while high on mushrooms. The man was found naked and screaming in from of a Michigan middle school, bloody from the waist down, with parts of his genitals ripped off.
“He really wasn’t saying much at all — a lot of yelling and screaming. He wasn’t making sense. They couldn’t really communicate with him in terms of constructive conversation,” reports said. The man and his dismembered member were taken to the hospital, where he received emergency medical treatment. Once he sobered up and was in stable condition, he told authorities that he was in town visiting some friends and picked up the magic mushrooms earlier that day. He claims to have no history of mental illness or heavy drug use or self-mutilation.
Sometimes drugs are bad. [Metro UK]
I’ve written candidly about Mother’s Day and all the ways I think the commercialization of it fucks up our relationships with our moms. My own relationship with my mom has been easy because … well, she’s awesome. But my complex relationship to fatherhood makes both talking and writing about it difficult.
There are two people in my life that I call Dad – my biological father and my stepfather. I have very different relationships with each of them and writing about one without mentioning the other feels like a weird act of disloyalty. But this Father’s Day, I’m letting go of that and writing about redemption and it’s relationship to fatherhood.
My biological father has a colorful past; he talks openly and nostalgically about his time as a drug dealer and his stint in prison. I remember bits and pieces of it. One time when I was small, my mother took my sister and me and my brother to the prison to see him. We pressed our dirty, little hands against the impassable glass partition that separated us and talked over a black phone that connected the two sides of the glass. When my dad was released, my parents were separated and we were shuffled back and forth between them every other weekend. My parents were young when they had my twin sister and me — just 21 and 22. Now, having a brother who is 25 and a father, it puts into perspective what it must have been like for my dad to have kids at that age. Keep reading »
Dear Alligator Enthusiast Rick Myers,
It seems like your two favorite things are alligators and drugs, and though I’m not a fan of either of those things, really, I admire your desire to combine the two into one event. From what I understand, you were wandering around with four of your friends in Little Big Econ State Forest near Oviedo, Florida, looking for some psychotropic drugs. Police followed you in, and arrested you and four of your friends for possession of mushrooms, weed and an alligator, which you had spirited away in a backpack. The alligator was around two feet long, and wrapped in a (very big?) bandanna. I guess it’s illegal to possess an alligator without a permit, so the cops released it into the swamps, after it had been “revived a little bit.” Keep reading »
In 2004, people figured out that if you smoke alcohol, you can get drunk almost immediately without any of the empty calories associated with that old-fashioned liquid alcohol. A product called AWOL (Alcohol Without Liquid) was quickly banned in the U.S. because inhaling alcohol straight into the bloodstream is super dangerous. But now inhaling alcohol has resurfaced with a new sketchy product that’s being sold legally in all 50 states. The Vaportini, which is sold online, gets you schwasted immediately upon inhalation. Keep reading »
We all make mistakes. And Taylor Randall, the University of Colorado undergrad who had to be coaxed off a mountain by police yesterday, is no exception. On Monday, the 21-year-old communications major went hiking with a couple of friends in the mountains surrounding Boulder, Colorado. While on their journey, the three decided to take some psychotropic mushrooms.
Mushrooms on a mountain? Sounds dreamy, huh? Eh, not so much.
Keep reading »