Katy Perry has made her presidential endorsement — in the form of a figure-hugging dress proclaiming her intent to vote for the Obama/Biden ticket on Election Day. But how is the dress to dance in, is what I want to know? Pretty easy — or at least it seems to be in these kinda ridiculous photos from her performance at an Obama rally in Las Vegas.
Tag Archives: barack obama
- Despicable human being Donald Trump announced yesterday he has something “bordering on gigantic” to reveal about President Obama. So let’s hear it: Douglass Kass, Trump’s fellow talking head on the talk show “Squawkbox,” claims on Twitter that Trump has divorce papers between Barack and Michelle Obama. Kass tweeted, “High above the Alps my Gnome [sic] has heard that Donald Trump will announce that he has unearthed divorce papers between the Prez and his wife.” It has previously claimed that Michelle Obama considered divorcing Barack in 2000 in the early days of his political career, apparently because he was on the road a lot. But frankly, even if it is/was true, does anyone really care if the Obamas once considered divorcing? They seem pretty in love now. [ONTD, Twitter.com/DougKass] Keep reading »
‘Tis the season for celebrity political endorsements, and just yesterday comes another one — this time from Kelly Clarkson. Kelly says that while she considers herself a Republican, she can’t abide by Mitt Romney’s anti-gay marriage stance, and has decided to support Obama. Additionally, she said, “I’ve been reading online about the debates and I’m probably going to vote for Obama again … I can’t support Romney’s policies as I have a lot of gay friends and I don’t think it’s fair they can’t get married.”
Additionally, she voiced concern over women’s rights issues. “I’m not a hardcore feminist but we can’t be going back to the ’50s,” she said.
Last year, Clarkson voiced her support for Ron Paul, but then retracted it after it was found that Paul was linked to several racist and homophobic pamphlets. “I am really sorry if I have offended anyone. Obviously that was not my intent. I do not support racism. I support gay rights, straight rights, women’s rights, men’s rights, white/black/purple/orange rights,” she said.
To learn about celebrity political endorsements, check out our handy chart above!
During last night’s presidential debate, the candidates were asked what they’d do to improve the status of women and ensure equal pay. And while President Obama discussed his work on the Lilly Ledbetter act, Mitt Romney accidentally said one of the most talked about phrases of the evening. Speaking to the crowd, he said that he once had the opportunity to put a board together, but was dismayed to see only male candidates presented. So:
“We took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet. I went to a number of women’s groups and said: ‘Can you help us find folks,’ and they brought us whole binders full of women.”
For whatever reason, the phrase has taken off, and now there’s a Tumblr and a Facebook page devoted to Romney’s binders, where information about the wage gap and Romney’s policies are offered up. And before the debates were even through, someone had set up an @RomneysBinder Twitter account. It currently has more than 30,000 followers. I happen to think Romney’s binder is probably just filled with pictures of Delta Burke, but maybe that’s just me? [ABC News]
Check out some of the best images from the Binders Full Of Women Tumblr above!
As you already know, Alana was in Hollywood this week for an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” which aired last night. She was hilariously adorable throughout and I couldn’t bring myself to clip just one moment. So, above, see it all, from Mama June repeatedly reminding Alana to keep her legs closed and Alana explaining her sisters’ nicknames, to a decidedly unscripted and somewhat NSFW hand/mouth gesture and an endorsement of “Marack Obama” based mostly on the fact that Mitt Romney said he prefers Snooki to Honey Boo Boo. It’s all the best, she’s so cute, and I love her so much. The end!
Katy Perry performed at a concert to support Obama in LA this weekend, and obviously she rocked a customized presidential manicure, complete with teeny tiny photos of Obama’s beaming smile. Pretty cute, right? And now we wait for Scott Stapp to unveil his Mitt Romney mani/pedi. [Twitter via Bust]
KitchenAid’s Tacky Tweet About Obama’s Grandma & Women’s Issues Go Undiscussed At First Presidential Debate
Jess is out sick today, so I’ve collected links for Today’s Lady News. I’ve used a quote from each piece as a brief summary (rather than interpreting myself) and you can click further to read more if it interests you. We’ll be back to your regularly scheduled Lady News tomorrow!
- “[During the debates] KitchenAid took to its official Twitter page to try and make light of the President mentioning his grandma, Madelyn Lee Payne Dunham, and tweeted the following: “Obamas gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! ‘She died 3 days b4 he became president’.” [Madame Noire]
- “Women could decide the outcome of the 2012 General Election. You know it, I know it, and odds are the candidates know it too. But last night, two candidates and one sorta-moderator managed to talk for 90 minutes straight in a domestic policy debate without discussing women’s reproductive rights.” [Feministing] Keep reading »
Still feeling the Rocky Mountain High from the first Presidential debate? We sure are. Others will fact check — we can’t — we’re dumb. Think of us as “fun checkers.” Isn’t that adorbz? Anyway, here are the five flat-out dumbest moments of the night with our ribbing for your pleasure:
1. Dueling Flag Pins: Guys, it’s embarrassing showing up to a party wearing the same patriotic bling. Well, not exactly the same — Romney’s was two millimeters bigger than Obama’s. That means he loves America more, right?
2. Big Bird: The mellow yellow icon was shown some love by Romney — the same guy who had just pledged to de-feather his PBS nest if elected. Even dumber, Twitter parody accounts sprouted faster than bird seed in fresh manure. Lots of attention whores people started tweeting as Big Bird and then lemmings people flocked to follow them. Cue the inevitable articles about social media being important written for the AARP set, who will, inevitably, still have no clue what it is. e.g. “Social media? That’s new fangled clap trap! Now go back to yer Phasebook and git off my lawn!” Read more…
Will you be watching the presidential debate tonight? If so, play along with this butt-chugging drinking game we’ve helpfully created.***
***Please don’t play along with this game. Butt-chugging is stupid.
- President Obama issued an executive order today which will compel government contractors to assure they are not contributing to human trafficking, including sex trafficking, in the course of their work. Contractors will have to abolish trafficking-type practices like charging “recruitment fees” and being misleading about the jobs which are being filled. “We’re making clear that American tax dollars must never, ever be used to support the trafficking of human beings,” the President said at the Clinton Global Initiative today, [Wall Street Journal]
- Blogger Nancy Goldstein on why Secretary of State Hillary Clinton deserves a shot at the presidency — including a quote from moi! [Guardian UK]
- Facebook won’t remove the “12-year-old slut” meme. Which actually, genuinely makes me feel dirty about giving FB my business. [BuzzFeed]
- Tina Fey has signed a four-year deal with Universal television to keep creating shows for NBC. Liz Lemon 4eva! [Slate] Keep reading »