Hey. Get your head out of the gutter! PETA means “go all the way vegan” instead of just vegetarian, obviously. Obviously. Is it really that obvious, though, when PETA’s new “Vegans Go All The Way” ad features Samia Najimy-Finnerty, who is just 16 years old? Keep reading »
Tag Archives: animal rights
Hero Of The Day: “Simpsons” Co-Creater Sam Simon, Stricken With Terminal Colon Cancer, Is Donating Everything — Everything! — To Charity
Sam Simon made a fortune as the co-creator of “The Simpsons” and has credits on “Anger Management” and “The Drew Carey Show.” Since “The Simpsons” is one of the most syndicated television shows ever, Simon has amassed a wildly large fortune — so large he doesn’t even know what his net worth actually is.
Earlier this year, Simon was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer, and that led to him making some hard decisions. He’s not married and doesn’t have children, so after making sure that everyone in his family was taken care of, Simon decided to donate everything to charity. He’s already created the Sam Simon Foundation, which provides direct food aid to starving people and animals. And he regularly gives to Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, PETA, and Save the Children.
And now in his final months, Simon has launched a very special personal project. Keep reading »
“It is unacceptable that animals continue to suffer around the world, including the United States of America, for the sake of beauty. I appeal to the USA to follow the European Union’s lead and end animal testing for cosmetics.”
– Peter Dinklagel, aka Tyrion Lannister, spoke out in support of ending the testing of cosmetics on animals. Dink, who’s been a vegetarian since he was 16, teamed up with Cruelty Free International to help support the measure. The ban is already in place in the European Union, and Dinklage, along with fellow CFI spokespeople Ricky Gervais and Joss Stone, are hoping to get a similiar bill passed in the United States. [Ecorazzi]
- We knew Ryan Gosling loved his trusty mutt, but now he’s spread his love of animals to the barnyard. The Gos penned a letter on behalf of PETA (side eye) to the National Milk Producers Federation this week asking them to halt the “barbaric practice” of removing calves’ horns. Get to it, milk producers. Ryan hath decreed it so! [Yahoo News]
- Can Lena Dunham only write male characters who are misogynists or date rapists? [Salon]
- Street style blogger Garance Doré has very strong feelings that “vagina” is an ugly word and we should all be saying “pussy” instead. I’m pretty sure anything is better than “vajayjay.” [Fashionista]
- Oh, Simon Doonan, what were you thinking suggesting we “bring back the Afro”? [Madame Noire]
- Ke$ha had “eyeball sex” with Johnny Depp. It’s less gross than it sounds. [Huffington Post] Keep reading »
Look, there’s no doubt I support animal rights. I’m a vegan. I don’t wear fur and only wear vintage leather. However, I feel very strange about animal rights organization PETA using Courtney Stodden as their spokeslady. I mean, it’s great that Courtney adopted her dog Bazaar from a shelter eight years ago, and “saturates” him with love. And also great that she claims she’s never eaten a hamburger and has recently become a vegetarian. But uh, is the lucite heels wearing, 17-year-old child bride really the best spokesperson for animals? Was Jason Lee or Alicia Silverstone busy that day?
I’m not 100 percent crazy about PETA — a lot of their advertising and marketing employs sexist tactics in order to promote their pro-animal message. That said, their latest move — to single out Kim Kardashian and Janet Jackson for their pro-fur lifestyles — might not be a bad move. The animal rights organization awarded the two celebs the “Celebrity Grinch Award” for wearing and promoting animal fur.
- Janet Jackson is launching a “luxe fur outerwear” collection with the company Blackgama, who featured her in a recent campaign. Janet’s line will feature 15 fur pieces, including coats, vests, and gloves, which will all use mink and some will use leather as well. You know what comes next: animal rights activists are pissed! I hope you’re cool with having PETA on your butt for the rest of your life, Miss Jackson. [Yahoo, ONTD]
- Twenty-five dudes who are not getting laid. [Gurl.com]
- Our pal Michael at Popbytes saw “My Week With Marilyn” and says it’s not to be missed — check out his review at the link! [Popbytes]
- Speaking of Marilyn … the actress’s flicks sure had some hot men in them! [TresSugar]
PETA knows how to raise eyebrows. The animal rights group’s memorable campaigns have entailed everything from celebrities posing nude for its anti-fur campaign to scantily clad women having an erotic moment with their vegetables to support veganism.
Now, PETA has pulled out all of the stops with a XXX porn site for its next clever marketing endeavor, reports The Register.
PETA confirmed the XXX site in a phone interview with The Huffington Post.
“We live in a 24 hour news cycle world and we learn the racy things we do are sometimes the most effective way that we can reach particular individuals,” said PETA spokeswoman Lindsay Rajt. Read more… Keep reading »
I love purse dogs as much as the next squeal-y girl, but certain things should not be treated as accessories: puppies, children and, oh yeah, puppies. Harvey Nichols‘ holiday commercial dispatched dozens of cute puppies to a department store and showed posh lady-actresses shopping for dogs to match their shoes and coats — even wrapping them up in wrapping paper. Keep reading »
These high heels appear to have hamsters (gerbils?) embedded in the platform under the toe. We here at The Frisky pride ourselves on our extensive knowledge of extreme shoes, from crazy stripper shoes to the highest heels ever made. But animals? In shoes? That’s gone too far. Thankfully, or disappointingly, depending on your relationship to animal rights, we do not believe these shoes exist in reality. They’re from If Shoes Could Kill, a blog that showcases some of the absolutely most freakiest shoes around, real and pretend. We’d probably rather wear these banana shoes, personally, than clomp around with the hamsters. [If Shoes Could Kill] Keep reading »