Huffington Post reporter Laura Bassett snapped this photo Wednesday at a House of Representatives hearing regarding a proposed nationwide 20-week abortion ban spearheaded by Republican Rep. Trent Franks. If you look closely, you will see a dude, another dude, another dude, another dude, another dude, another dude, another dude, and yup, one more dude. EIGHT MEN! At a hearing on abortion rights! Dudes! Legislating women’s bodies! [Twitter; Huffington Post] [Photo via Laura Bassett]
Tag Archives: abortion
Republican Politician Shames Woman For Abortion, Said She Should Have Delivered Severely Disabled Baby
Yesterday, a woman named Christy Zink testifed before the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcomittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice to discuss a bill proposed by Rep. Trent Franks to ban abortions after 20 weeks. Zink spoke about her difficult decision in 2009 to have an abortion at 22 weeks after she learned the fetus she was carrying was severely disabled.
In response to her testimony, Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert, also a Republican, publicly shamed Zink and her family for terminating a late-term pregnancy and suggested she should have carried the possibly nonviable pregnancy to term just on principle. Keep reading »
- A ban on abortions after 12 weeks in Arkansas — the earliest abortion ban in the country — has been temporarily blocked by a federal judge. [Politico]
- The state government of Illinois has advanced a comprehensive sex ed bill that requires teachers to teach “medically accurate and age-appropriate lesson[s]” on sexual health. What a novel idea! [Rockford Register Star]
- New York State has introduced a bill to prosecute sex traffickers. [Stop Human Trafficking NY]
- Dove, Vistaprint and Audible.com are all ignoring an online campaign by feminist activist group Women, Action & Media (WAM) to encourage Facebook to remove content that is violent against women and girls. [Feministing, WAM]
- Meet Rep. Krysten Sinema, a Democrat from Arizona, who is openly bisexual and agnostic. [ELLE] Keep reading »
OB/GYN’s Son Accused Of Forging Dad’s Signature & Tricking Girlfriend To Abort Pregnancy Without Her Knowledge
A 28-year-old man gave the abortion pill to his six-weeks-pregnant girlfriend without her knowledge, causing her to have an abortion. John Andrew Welden has been charged with first degree murder and product tampering.
His girlfriend, Remee Lee, became pregnancy in February and was “elated” about it, according to the AP. But Welden didn’t want her to have a baby, so he gave her Cytotec — a pill taken in conjunction with mifepristone as part of the abortion pill (also called a medical abortion) — leading her to believe she was taking the antibiotic Amoxicillan. The girlfriend had visited Welden’s father, an OB/GYN, and Welden lied to her and said that his dad had warned him that she had an infection. Then he forged his dad’s signature on a prescription for Cytotec (AKA Misoprostal) and gave it to Lee with a label reading “Amoxicillan.” Trusting her boyfriend was telling her the truth, Lee eventually got abdominal cramps and began bleeding and went to the hospital, only to be told she had been given the abortion pill without her knowledge. Keep reading »
- Rep. Michele Bachmann is urging Christians to engage in “spiritual warfare” to put their religious values in government, like banning marriage equality and criminalizing abortion. Scary, scary stuff. [Raw Story]
- In related I’m-moving-to-Canada news, North Carolina’s state Senate has advanced a bill that erroneously lists abortion as a cause of premature birth. Although the medical community vehemently disagrees, abortion opponents frequently claim that abortion causes breast cancer or makes it difficult for women to have children in the future. The NC bill includes abortion as a cause of “preterm birth” up there with drug use lack of prenatal care. [RH Reality Check]
- On Planned Parenthood and the real lessons of the Kermit Gosnell case. [The Daily Beast]
- “Elementary” actress Lucy Liu on the limits placed on her for being an Asian actress in Hollywood. [xoJane]
- On the inappropriate comments being made about Angelina Jolie losing her natural breasts to a double mastectomy, which she chose to have to prevent breast cancer. [Slate] Keep reading »
Dr. Kermit Gosnell, a Philadelphia doctor whose clinic gained attention for his criminal performance of late-term abortions, was found guilty yesterday of three counts of first-degree murder. He had been accused of killing four babies and one woman, but was found guilty of only three of the babies’ deaths.
Gosnell, 72, operated an illegally-run clinic in Philly that provided late-term abortions to low-income women. He was accused of killing live babies after delivery with scissors, as opposed to terminating the pregnancies during standard late-term abortion procedure. Gosnell’s case became a lightening rod for anti-abortion activists who attempted to paint Gosnell as the standard in abortion care. Similarly, abortion rights supporters underscored the reason abortion needs to be safe and legal is to keep patients safe from doctors like him. Keep reading »
You probably didn’t know that by taking the birth control pill, you are directly contributing to lethal experimentation, euthanasia, poverty, and crime. Well, this flower/weed graphic discovered by feminist blogger Jessica Valenti on One More Soul, a Christian website promoting chastity until opposite-sex marriage, will set you straight. Only through chastity will you have a strong family life. Anything else that sounds remotely fun is SEXUAL CHAOS!
Well. I happen to like dandelions. So … [Feministing]
- The anti-abortion group Live Action today debuted more videos filmed “undercover” at abortion clinics, including ones in Washington, D.C., and the Bronx, NY, claiming they perform “illegal and inhuman practices.” Live Action sent women to clinics where they secretly taped their conversations about a hypothetical, rare late-term abortion with various staff members; to hear Live Action tell it, these doctors are butchering live babies. Live Action videos are always heavily edited — much like reality TV — to make them appear say what Live Action wants them to convey. And what do they want to convey, really? Less than one percent of abortions are performed after 21 weeks. Plus, abortions are legal after 24 weeks in New York State only if a woman’s life is at risk. Not sure what kind of bombshell they were really trying to uncover with this one. [New York Times, Washington Post, Think Progress, Media Matters]
- New York is considering a ban on so-called “ex-gay therapy” for minors. [Huffington Post] Keep reading »
Amnesty International has warned that a 22-year-old woman is going to die if the government of El Salvador does not give her a lifesaving abortion. Abortion is illegal in the country under all circumstances, even to save the life of the mother. Keep reading »
- Abortion opponents in Florida are currently trying to pass a ban through the House of Representatives that would criminalize abortion on the basis of race or gender. Despite a lack of evidence that race- and sex-selective abortions are a problem in the United States, it’s becoming a popular tactic of the anti-abortion movement to claim reproductive rights are a secret genocidal plot against black folks. You can read a breakdown of such bills — including an amazing smackdown by Rep. Gwen Moore of Wisconsin — from 2011. FL’s Rep. Charles Van Zant, a white dude and a Republican, sponsored the legislation and fulminated last week that abortion is “reducing the black population.” Several black female legislators walked out of the debate on Thursday, claiming the bill is an opportunistic grab to ban abortion. “I don’t appreciate anyone trying to explain what any other ethnic group’s lifestyle is and what they do, when you really don’t have any authority to interpret it,” said pro-choice legislator Rep. Barbara Watson, who is black. “I think the women and people of color in that chamber deserve an apology from him.” Nevertheless, FL’s House eventually passed the bill. [Huffington Post, Feminist.org] Keep reading »