- HBO is developing a show from Diablo Cody (!!!) and Oprah (!!!!!) based on the book Moody Bitches: The Truth About the Drugs You’re Taking, the Sex You’re Not Having, The Sleep You’re Missing, and What’s Really Making You Crazy, by Julie Holland. Yes, please. [NYMag.com]
- Prepare yourself for this weekend’s 50th anniversary special of “Doctor Who”! [The Daily Dot]
- Remember Irene from “The Real World: Seattle”? The one who had Lyme disease? And got slapped in the face by Stephen? Well, she has an essay on New York magazine’s website and it is epic. [NYMag.com]
- Prosecutors have dropped aggravated stalking charges against two girls who bullied Florida 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick before her death. They determined that the behavior of the girls, ages 14 and 12, did not rise to the level of a crime. [New York Times] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: oprah
- Do you want Oprah’s pillows? Her armchairs? Then hustle over to Oprah’s home auction on November 2, when she sells crap she doesn’t want anymore after a huge renovation. And it’s for a good cause! Proceeds from the auction will go to the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy Foundation College Fund. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Miley Cyrus has removed her name from every iTunes item related to “Hannah Montana.” [Flavorwire]
- New gossipy theory on why the Jonas Brothers hastily cancelled their tour: Joe Jonas is checking into rehab. [ONTD]
- Mario Singer, husband of “Real Housewives Of New York””s Ramona Singer, reportedly got a 20-something “blond socialite” pregnant this summer and paid for her to have an abortion. [Page Six]
- Whoopsies! Craig Robinson from “The Office” and “This Is The End” was arrested in the Bahamas for possession of Ecstasy and pot. [TMZ] Keep reading »
- Oprah Winfrey confessed she suffered symptoms of a nervous breakdown earlier this year over too much chaos in her life. Oh no! Who will be Oprah’s Oprah? [Access Hollywood]
- Father Of The Year Kevin Federline is putting his foot down over Britney Spears’ plan to let their eight-year-old son Sean Preston occasionally appear onstage at her Las Vegas show. [TMZ]
- Kanye West is claiming self-defense against a paparazzo suing for criminal battery after an incident at LAX over the summer. [US Weekly]
- Super cute: check out Zooey Deschanel’s dominoes-style nail art from the Emmy’s. [Elle]
- Model Katia Elizarova opens up about how agencies and club promoters push young women to hang out with much-older men and how models pull their teeth out to make them look skinnier. [Daily Mail UK]
- Of course you want to listen to Amy Poehler freestyle about butter. [NYmag.com] Keep reading »
- Fresh out of her sixth visit to rehab, Lindsay Lohan confessed to Oprah on “Oprah’s Next Chapter” — which aired last night — that she feels she has finally hit rock bottom and will stay sober. She confessed she is addicted to alcohol and has only taken cocaine “10 to 15 times.” Oprah also wisely suggested LiLo might be addicted to “chaos” as well. You think?! [Huffington Post]
- A South African court indicted Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius on charges of premeditated murder of his girlfriend, Reeve Steenkamp. Pistorius shot the model and reality star as she cowered behind the door in a bathroom in his home on Valentine’s Day; he claims he mistakenly thought she was an intruder. The case will go to trial in March 2014. [People]
- Fox picked up one of Tina Fey’s two new comedies — the one set at a women’s college which has recently started admitting men. [Variety]
- Prince William has given his first interview since the birth of his and Kate Middleon’s month-old son, George. He said he did indeed change the newborn’s first diaper at the hospital: “I wasn’t allowed to get away with that. I had every midwife staring at me, ‘You do it. You do it.’” [Socialite Life] Keep reading »
Oprah Winfrey apologized Monday for the media firestorm that resulted after she said she experienced racism first-hand while shopping in Switzerland.
“I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I’m really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I’m sorry that I said it was Switzerland,” Winfrey told the Associated Press. “I was just referencing it as an example of being in a place where people don’t expect that you would be able to be there.” Read more at Celebuzz…
For the last several years, natural hair “trends” have been on the rise for African-American and other women in the U.S. Just last week, Oprah graced the cover of O Magazine donning an enormous Afro, much bigger than the one she wore in the late ’70s when she first started on primetime. Oprah’s gesture pays tribute to the millions of women who have tossed relaxers and weaves to the side and embraced their own hair — their natural hair.
As I wrote last spring, women of African decent, and some others too, sometimes use a product called a perm to make their hair “more manageable.” These began as a trend in the 1920s so blacks (both men and women) could more readily assimilate into white culture and evade the detriments of racism. If you’ve ever read or watched The Autobiography of Malcolm X, you’ll remember the scene in which he dunked his head in a toilet bowl to find reprieve from the smoldering “conk” (what a perm used to be called) he was using to straighten his hair.
- Oprah Winfrey is among this year’s honorees to receive the Presidential Medal Of Freedom, the nation’s highest honor for civilians. Winfrey will be one of four Black recipients of the medal. Astronaut Sally Ride, the first woman in outer space and the first known gay astronaut, will posthumously receive a medal. [The Root, LGBTQ Nation]
- One in three young women are using withdrawal as their contraceptive method, according to a new study in the Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. LADIES! Do y’all want to get pregnant? NOT A RELIABLE METHOD! [US News & World Reports]
- Comic bros says sexism is no big deal. [Think Progress]
- Here are some possible new rules the Pentagon has come up with to curb sexual assaults in the military and hold perpetrators accountable. [New York Times] Keep reading »
Director Lee Daniels’ new film “The Butler” chronicles the history of the White House through the eyes of an African-American butler named Cecil Gaines, played by Forest Whitaker. A lot of hot dudes, including Liev Shrieber and James Marsden, play the presidents, and Alex Pettyfer, perhaps typecast, plays a terrible sadistic landowner.
I don’t know if this movie is good or bad, but I was basically bawling after watching the trailer, so yeah, it’s that kind of film. Plus! Oprah’s in it! Oprah.
On Monday night, the film premiered in New York, and here’s what everyone wore.
Lindsay Lohan has completed rehab and I couldn’t be happier that she is sober and doing well. Nevertheless, between “Chelsea Lately” and “Oprah’s Next Chapter” it all seems a bit fast. Shouldn’t she be taking a break from the spotlight to work on her sobriety? Isn’t it obvious at this point that fame is at least a part of her issues? Oprah asks her if she is an addict, which obviously she is and what it’s like to have her name, Lindsay Lohan, synonymous with “child star gone wrong.” Bummer. Read more at College Candy…
- Oprah’s had a lot of different looks on the cover of O magazine and her latest is a huuuge Afro. I like! [Racked]
- Alex Rodriguez has been suspended without pay for the rest of the 2013 season for using performance-enhancing drugs. [US Weekly]
- Is Rihanna snorting cocaine in this video? I hope not, Ri! [Mstarz]
- Kanye will perform “Black Skinhead” at MTV’s upcoming VMAs. Let me guess, this is when Kim will make her big post-baby debut? [Daily Swarm]
- Valeria Lukyanova, a “real life human Barbie,” said she frequently has out-of-body experiences and communicates with aliens. Also, she declined to answer whether her husband is a human. [Daily Beast]