- Last thing we’ll say on the subject, we swear: Parenting blogs are filled with articles tackling how to talk to your daughters about Miley Cyrus. But how do we talk to our sons about Robin Thicke? As writer Eric Clapp points out, “We need to call bullshit on attempts to end domestic violence and misogyny towards women by only talking to our daughters.” [Eric Clapp]
- My Girl Scout Council is not, as the name might suggest, a wholesome diary of all the fun Troop 347 had on their annual camping trip. Oh no, it’s a website devoted to “documenting pro-life concerns about the Girl Scouts council by council.” As you do. [RH Reality Check]
- An 18-year-old woman in Puerto La Cruz, Argentina, was arrested for killing her newborn baby after giving birth in her house. The woman hid her pregnancy from her family, and when she was taken to the hospital following the incident, she screamed that she didn’t want to be a mother. [Jezebel] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: miley cyrus
“She was going too far. She’s trying to twerk, but don’t know how to twerk. …We have a dance in bounce music called “exercising” where you just open your legs and shake your butt a little bit from side to side. It was that part she did in front of Robin Thicke, but she still didn’t even get that right because she didn’t have any butt control. She needs more practice. … Just get me and Miley together so I could give her ass some lessons.”
– Big Freedia, a New Orleans musician and the so-called “Queen of Bounce,” is not so impressed with Miley Cyrus’s twerk-happy display at the MTV VMAs. Freedia spoke to Fuse about all the hype surrounding Miley’s “discovery” of twerk, a dance style that’s been around for 20 years at least. Freedia echoed those who criticize Cyrus for appropriating — and not that well — something Black culture has been doing for years, saying, ”It’s offensive to black culture and black women who’ve been twerking for years. Every time we do something, people want to snatch it and run with it and put their name on it.” If you want to see how twerking is really done, behold Freedia’s “twerk pyramid” after the jump! [Fuse TV] Keep reading »
- Billy Ray Cyrus on Miley’s twerkin’ at the VMAs, according to Miley’s Twitter: “Mile, if twerkin woulda been invented…. And I had a foam finger…. I woulda done the same thang you did.” [Twitter]
- As for Miley’s fiance Liam Hemsworth? According to The New York Post, “Liam really does care about Miley, but her racy new look and sort of ghetto attitude isn’t exactly what he signed up for.” [Page Six]
- Kyle Chandler, aka Coach Eric Taylor, says that he’s not interested in doing a “Friday Night Lights” movie and that he likes the way the TV series ended. To quote a friend of mine upon reading this news, “I FEEL PERSONALLY BETRAYED.” Coach Taylor, why you gotta be like that?! [Buzzfeed] Keep reading »
Oh lordy. The end is nigh. Rapper Lil Twist hath signaled the beginning of Earth’s destruction by bringing together Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber for a song called “Twerk.” While you listen, I’ll just be rocking myself back and forth for comfort in the corner of my bomb shelter.
- Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones are allegedly separating after 13 years of marriage, during which the age-disparate couple weathered through her bipolar II disorder diagnosis and his cancer battle. Sad. [People]
- Random potential couple alert: Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx? [Radar Online]
- A rep for the Teddy Bear Fund — an organization dedicated to giving out stuffed animals at abuse shelters — told TMZ that Miley Cyrus’ “made a poor choice to use a universally loved children’s teddy bear in an offensive way” during her MTV VMAs performance. ”There is always good art and bad art — unfortunately … this was bad art,” he added. ”Hopefully she might consider reversing this situation by giving lots of teddy bears to children in need of comfort.” Well then! [TMZ] Keep reading »
Let’s take a minute to talk about Miley Cyrus, shall we?
With a performance so uncomfortable it rivals that of the bride who grinded down the aisle to Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” Miley’s jaw-dropping VMAs stunt left parents covering the eyes of their children and grown adults glaring with disapproval as they watched in awe.
It’s safe to say the twerkin’ pop star’s performance ruffled more than a few feathers, but there’s something to be said about the fact that we’re still talking about it days later. Wasn’t that the point? Keep reading »
- LOL, Robin Thicke is mad that Miley Cyrus upstaged him during his own performance. Trust me, Robin. Not one moment of your pervy drunk uncle routine was overlooked. [International Business Times]
- Speaking of Miley, here is an on point essay about the racial implications of her performance. [Jezebel Groupthink]
- So, what did Kelly Clarkson think of the VMAs? Not calling out anyone by name, Clarkson tweeted: ”2 words … #pitchystrippers.” Burn. [Us Weekly]
- Um, was that Ryan Gosling rocking out to NSYNC at the VMAs? This GIF suggests as much… [Uproxx] Keep reading »
Beetlejuice certainly did have a lecherous side too, didn’t he? Lydia (aka Winona Ryder) does not approve. [Facebook]
Have you heard? Miley Cyrus has discovered hip-hop! She is the first white girl to ever do so. She was totally Lil Kim in a past life — don’t listen to people who say that makes no sense because Kim is still alive and past lives don’t work that way. They don’t get it. Miley gets it. They don’t give these “Ain’t Nothin’ But A G Thang” tank tops to just anyone, you know. Also, Gwen Stefani called from 1995 and says she wants her baby buns back. [Photo: Splash News]