- A New Jersey judge has ruled that the state must recognize gay marriages now that the federal government does, so that NJ citizens can receive their federal benefits. Presently, LGBT folks in NJ can only have civil unions. [WNYC, New York Times]
- The Center for Reproductive Rights, the ACLU, and other organizations filed a federal lawsuit to block portions of the severely restrictive anti-abortion law in Texas from going into effect in late October. [RH Reality Check]
- California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill that guarantees overtime pay for domestic workers like some nannies and home health aides, a largely female workforce. [Sacramento Bee]
- Why the real mommy wars are against mothers who don’t have choices. [Salon] Keep reading »
Tag Archives: politics
- BOOM! State Senator Wendy Davis, who filibustered the Texas state government in the hope of preventing devastating anti-abortion restrictions, will reportedly run for governor, according to the AP. State Sen. Davis will allegedly make a formal announcement of her candidacy next week. [ABC Local]
- Malala Yousafzai, the teen girl who was shot by the Taliban for her advocacy on behalf of girls’ education, is raising money for Syrian refugees. [MSNBC]
- “You’re too pretty to be gay” is not a compliment. [Huffington Post]
- Little Miss Hispanic Delaware has been stripped of her title and crown because her Latina heritage could not be sufficiently proven to officials. Oof. [ColorLines] Keep reading »
Man, do I love a good Bill. Murray, Cosby, Clinton, Nye, Gates… I’ll take ‘em all. Bills are just the best! Here are two of them (Clinton and Gates, to be specific) captured in the form of a genuine @billclinton selfie. This looks just like a selfie my dad would take. Read: very blurry. Dads! They have a real hard time with phone cameras. Right, Chelsea? [Twitter]
Vladimir Putin is sort of like the small-boned Chuck Norris of world leaders — think an unassuming Renaissance man who will straight-up end you. (If you aren’t well-versed in the art of Putin, might I point you in the direction of his 8 most ridiculous publicity stunts?) The man has his own personal bear, for Christ’s sake, but he also knows how to have a good time. Putin is a born entertainer. You know what they say about us Russians and our sense of humor! (Nothing. Literally nothing.) Now, the Russian President can add one more aside to his name: a canine doppelgänger. This Staffordshire terrier-German shepherd mix made the news for his resemblance to the politician, and we have to admit the similarity in that close-set stare is almost uncanny. Fortunately, we don’t think Putin will have a problem with knowing he has a doggy double running around. We already know how much he loves pups. [Metro.co.uk]
- Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Janet Yellen will almost certainly be nominated by President Obama to lead the Fed, according to sources of the Washington Post. [Washington Post]
- Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin has thumbed her nose at the Pentagon’s instructions and has blocked military benefits for same-sex couples from being processed in the state. [Politico]
- Check out this piece on abusers, guns and the women they kill from our former Hitched columnist Andrea Grimes. [RH Reality Check]
- Meet FORCE: Upsetting Rape, the feminist pranksters who punked everyone yesterday with their fake Playboy site, which had the “magazine” telling readers that consent is the key to good sex. [Think Progress] Keep reading »
“Do I imagine myself having a full-on political career? That seems like a stretch. But who knows? I don’t limit the possibilities. If I have more time, I may be able to lend a bigger voice to politics. I never close the door on those kinds of things.”
– Harper’s Bazaar cover girl Scarlett Johansson opens up about the possibility of a political career in the magazine’s October issue. “I come from a politically active family,” she added. “To be an active member of the community, to be a responsible citizen and to engage politically have always been part of my awareness and part of my life.” Johansson campaigned vocally for Barack Obama last year and is reportedly in the running to play his one-time opponent, Hillary Rodham Clinton, in a big-screen biopic. Would you vote for her? [Daily Mail]
The GOP is worried about the lack of Republican women in Congress. This issue became a priority when the Republicans realized that they needed a friendly female face to put on their late-term abortion bans and ladies-can’t-be-trusted-with-their-own-bodies legislation. It doesn’t exactly look great when you can only find dudes that will vouch for the pro-life agenda. Thus, as the National Journal reported, Project GROW (Growing Republican Opportunities for Women) was born. Keep reading »
Interns! You’ve got to keep an eye on them* or else they blab secrets that end on the front page of The New York Daily News.
Well, maybe you do when you’re on the beleagured Anthony Weiner mayoral campaign. Ex-Weiner intern Olivia Nuzzi landed on the front cover of the Daily News yesterday under the headline, “People only work for Weiner to get to Hillary and Huma.” In the piece, Nuzzi explained how Weiner’s staff is just riding Carlos Danger’s coattails to get access to his wife Huma Abedin, a former top aide to Hillary Clinton, in hopes that they could get plum gigs if Hill runs for president in 2016.
Awkward? A little bit. But not as awkward as when the Weiner communications director Barbara Morgan went off on a reporter for Talking Points Memo, trashing Nuzzi as a “slutbag,” “twat,” “cunt,” and fame-hungry “bitch” who “sucked” at her job. Keep reading »
Well, this is awkward: Anthony Weiner got his ass handed to him on a platter by a New York City voter who thinks his lying, cheating self has no business running the city. Last week the bomb dropped that Weiner, who is running for mayor of NYC, carried on a sexting-and-phone-sex affair with a 22-year-old Indiana woman, Sydney Leathers, even after he had resigned from Congress over past a past sexting scandal. Weiner is adamant that he is staying in the race. Staten Island resident and retired schoolteacher Peg Brunda confronted dick pic enthusiast Carlos Danger to ask why he thought he had the “moral authority” to hire and fire educators in the NYC school system when he himself struggles with basic sexual impulse control. Keep reading »
Former Democratic Representative and current New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner admitted today to even more naughty behavior online: he reportedly exchanged XXX pics and had sexy chats on the phone with a young woman for a period of six months. Although the timeline is still unclear, it is thought that this latest affair occurred during or just after he resigned from Congress in 2011, when he was busted sexting dick pics to ladies who aren’t his wife and lying to the public about it.